Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar

Conworlds and conlangs
Man in Space

Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar

Post by Man in Space »

It's about time I became more active here again, and I have the day off, so I might as well do something while I'm doing nothing.

Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar (hereinafter CT) is a Tim Ar-O language and was spoken at the zenith of the Classical Period of Tim Ar history. It was the dominant language until their conquest at the hands of the Khaya and the Uhuiquénta, after which point it fragmented into dozens of smaller languages.

The situation in Proto-Tim Ar-O

Proto-Tim Ar-O is reconstructed as having had the following phonology:

*m *n *ŋ
*p *b *t *d *k *g *q *ɢ *ʔ
*s *z *ʃ *ʒ *h
*ɬ *ɮ

*l
*j *w *ʁ

*e *o

All resonants could stand as syllable nuclei; *j *w *ʁ apparently had syllabic allophones [*i *u *a].

The syllable structure appears to have been (C)(R)V(C), where R is any sonorant and V is any full vowel or syllabic sonorant.

From Point A to Point Á: Phonological Development of CT
  • Tone split:
    • Voiced onsets—and —yielded a low tone on the following vowel whereas unvoiced (except ) or null onsets gave a high tone.
    • Sequences *V₀ʔV₀ and *V₀hV₀ contracted to yield low- or high-tone vowels, respectively.
  • Cluster resolution and metathesis:
    • Triconsonantal clusters were dealt with as follows:
      • If the cluster consisted of a resonant preceding two obstruents, the resonant was dropped.
      • If the above condition was not met, the third consonant dropped.
    • Clusters involving *ɹ *l also simplified:
      • *p and deleted before *l; *t *k *q *s *x combined with it to form .
      • *p *t *k *q *s *x *ɬ combined with to form .
    • After this, sandhi rules changed the plural marker from a standalone word to a proclitic. The eroded plural marker then triggered metathesis of a following CVC sequence to VCC; that is, *#ɹa=CVC > *#aɹCVC > *#əɹVCC > *#VCC. This once more permitted clusters of three consecutive consonants in the language, though these only appear in plural forms (e.g., híðia ~ íhðia). Extensive analogy has converted this to a productive plural pattern.
    • New syllabic appears to have vocalized at this time; this ultimately leads to forms such as łoʕ ~ oła.
  • Fricative processes:
    • *q lenited to *x.
    • *s *ʃ shifted forward to *θ *s.
  • Vocalic developments:
    • Two vowels of unlike frontness/backness (*a was exempt from this process) merged into a vowel with the height, tone, and place of articulation of the second vowel and the roundedness of the first—e.g., *u˩e˥ > /ø˥/.
    • dropped, leading to hiatus.
    • *w *j near a vowel then gained fully vocalic surface forms.
    • backed to a pharyngeal resonant /ʕ/.
  • End-state processes: These remained productive into the CT period.
    • Consonants, with the exception of *h, voiced when in between two voiced sounds within a word.
    • Additionally, the low vowel *a fronted slightly to [æ] immediately preceding a nasal.
Phonology of CT

The following consonants exist in CT:

m n ŋ m n ĝ
t k t k
θ s x h ð s ȝ h
ɬ ł
ɹ ʕ r ʕ
l l

The following vowels are attested; the romanizations are for low tone and high tone, respectively.

i y ɯ u i ü ï u / í û î ú
e ø ɤ o e ö ë o / é ô ê ó
a a / á

Syllabic consonants do not take contrastive tone or allow coda consonants and are as follows:

m̩ n̩ ŋ̩ ɹ̩ l̩ m n ĝ r l

The following syllable shapes are attested (X stands for a syllabic consonant):
  • V
  • X
  • CV
  • CX
  • CVC
  • VC
  • VCC (only attested in plural nouns, q.v.)
Allophonically, voiceless obstruents (except /h/) become voiced between two voiced phones (híðia /hi˥θi˩a˩/ → [hi˥ði˩a˩] 'scorpion, crab'). Additionally, fronting of /a/ to [æ] immediately preceding a nasal within the same word occurred, e.g. saman út /sa˩man˩ ut˥/ → [sæ˩mæn˩ ut˥] 'saman úd'

In terms of sandhi, when the genitive particle (m, n, or ĝ, as appropriate) precedes a nasal in the next words, that nasal elides.

n noȝo ü /n̩ no˩xo˩ y˩/ → n 'oȝo ü [n‿o˩ɣo˩ y˩] 'of the nojo-plant'

This contrasts with vowel-initial words:

n oȝo ü /n̩ o˩xo˩ y˩/ → n oȝo ü [n̩ o˩ɣo˩ y˩] 'of the washbasin'

Word order basics

CT has a VOS word order.

asr
see
łn
2SG
ĝus
1SG

'I see you'

The language tends to be, but is not always, head-initial. Aspect particles notably precede the verb they govern.

oltłe
lyric/PL
ðése
just
ü
DEF

'the right lyrics'

ałaʕ
DPRF
takðé
hide
usen
in.those.days
3SG

'he would hide back in those days'

CT doesn't have postpositions as much as it has what WALS calls inpositions. These immediately succeed the governed noun and come before any other modifiers.

háʕán
sun
ĝöl
because.of
kiĝ
red
ü
DET

'because of the red sun'

Pluralization in CT

Plurals are usually formed one of two ways: Metathesis or appending a pluralizing particle. As a rule of thumb, consonants with an initial consonant metathesize the plural; vowel-initial words take the particle ar.

híðia
scorpion
íhðia
scorpion/PL

unolo
swarm
ar
PL

If the first vowel in the word is a front rounded vowel or a back unrounded vowel, then the vowel "decomposes". The first vowel becomes a low-tone /i/ if the vowel is back unrounded or /u/ if the vowel is front rounded. The second vowel retains its height but is either back rounded or front unrounded, respectively. This rule is due to the historical development of the language (v.s.).

lôr
locust
ulér
locust/PL

hütor
cloud
uhitor
cloud/PL

kîl
songbird
ukíl
songbird/PL

ʕërïl
wildfire
oʕerïl
wildfire/PL

The Seven Kill Stele

Because you just have to.

Këtén ïskéł toálo maȝĝ ar ʕáite ðeȝá ahðál lełi.
Ím ïskéł men láðît ar tirí ðm ʕáite ahðál.
Nihus. Nihus. Nihus. Nihus. Nihus. Nihus. Nihus.

këtén
bring
ïskéł
thing
toálo
count
maȝĝ
minus
ar
PL
ʕáite
eternal.paradise
ðeȝá
nourish
ahðál
man/PL
lełi
in.order.to

ím
have
ïskéł
thing
men
no.MED
láðît
worthy
ar
PL
tirí
remit
ðm
in.return
ʕáite
eternal.paradise
ahðál
man/PL

nihus
kill
nihus
kill
nihus
kill
nihus
kill
nihus
kill
nihus
kill
nihus
kill
mèþru

Re: Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar

Post by mèþru »

Yes! I miss seeing your content, especially the scripts.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

mèþru wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 am Yes! I miss seeing your content, especially the scripts.
Thank you!

Voice in CT

There are six verbal voices in CT: active (the unmarked default form), passive, reflexive, reciprocal, cooperative, and collaborative.

The passive voice is marked with a dummy subject :

kaá
construct
3SG
ĝus
1SG

'I'm building it'

kaá
construct
3SG
PASS

'it is being built'

The reflexive voice indicates that someone is doing something to themself. Note the appearance of our dummy subject again.

tíȝi
cease
imhan
strike
intëĝ
RFLX
łn
2SG
RFLX

'stop hitting yourself!'

imhan
strike
intëĝ
RFLX
étí
3PL
RFLX

'they're hitting themselves'

The reciprocal voice indicates that the subjects are doing something to each other, with reciprocity (as one might expect). Once again, you have to employ in subject position.

imhan
strike
mho
RCPL
étí
3PL
RCPL

'they attacked each other'

iĝo
read.out
mho
RCPL
étí
3PL
RCPL

'they read (out loud) to each other'

The cooperative voice is pretty much à la Classical Mongolian. It's a way of saying that the subject did something along with others. You can use it to place the focus on the subject while still keeping the other party/parties in the picture.

łor
rest
COOP
3SG

'he (and others) rest'

imhan
strike
COOP
ĝus
1SG
étí
3SG

'they (and others) are attacking me'

The collaborative voice is a bit tricky. By itself, calling out two or more subjects in a sentence does not necessarily imply that they were working together. In English, Bill and Dave did that is ambiguous as to whether Bill and Dave did something together or hacked at it individually. In CT, the latter reading is the default. To say they collaborated on something, you have to use the collaborative voice.

imhan
strike
ĝus
1SG
Háúr
Háúr
łá
and.NP
Tále
Tále

'Háúr and Tále attacked me (separately)'

imhan
strike
áȝné
COLLAB
ĝus
1SG
Háúr
Háúr
signa
COLLAB
Tále
Tále

'Háúr and Tále attacked me (together)'
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

It looks like your passive doesn't really result in an intransitive verb, and the original object doesn't end up as subject. Is that right? Then this is maybe more an impersonal construction than a passive in the usual sense.

I'm not sure what to make of the use of the dummy subject in the reciprocal. It looks like you end up with the agent argument in the object position, is that right? ...But when describing the reciprocal, which looks structurally parallel, you say the subjects are doing something to each other---now it's the agent that's subject and I'm not sure what is. (Maybe you're distingishing between semantic and syntactic subject somehow?)