kårroť scratchpad (necroes still welcome)

Conworlds and conlangs
mèþru

kårroť scratchpad (necroes still welcome)

Post by mèþru »

Thread moved here.
Last edited by mèþru on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
mèþru

Re: kårroť scratchpad

Post by mèþru »

Is there anything in particular you guys would like to see added to the wiki?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

That wiki is empty. Is that normal?
I don't know then. Something on religion perhaps? Your signature is kind of intriguing.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

kårroť
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

mèþru wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:48 pm From September 4th
Oh. So I guess an index page would be helpful :)
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Index link added to the main page
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I am willing to adopt orphaned conlangs without their original background for my conworld kårroť. Conlangs with ejectives, aspirates, a relatively small set of voiced consonants, no implosives, simple vowels sets, or any combination of these are particularly welcome. Click languages are not welcome at all (I have no problems with those, but I arbitrarily decided that click languages do not exist on kårroť).
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Nevermind I have a solution
More: show
I would like help
From Discord:
I wrote:I'm trying to figure out how the gender roles in one of societies change and I'm stuck
"But they don't even have "man" and "woman" as genders!
They have a different gender system, although still have biological males and females
Gender is chosen in a solemn ceremony once you reach adulthood. There are two of them, and a marriage is between the two
The conculture eventually abandoned it to the same kind of gender system there was in early modern Europe (no sworn virgins though) after the collapse and conquest of their great cities"
as in the new system was from whoever conquered them?
I wrote:Yes, but it is not forced but I can't figure out the how
The details of the end culture are pretty open to mucking around with, so the how greatly affects that
"forced" is a pretty nebulous term. In real examples of colonialism, cultural things are sometimes not forced at gunpoint, but the colonial society rewards people for participating in the colonisers' culture
Could you have some sort of puritanical religious order?
(but the gunpoint method is there too very often obviously)
you could have for instance, if the institutions of the conquerors just don't acknowledge the conquered culture's gender system, and to be a part of them you have to conform to the conquerors' system instead
I wrote:There is some settlement, but it isn't a settler colony. The religion gets all 'interpretatio romana'ed. I agree that the institutions wouldn't recognise the system but that isn't enough of an obstacles
They could just assume outside roles for the sake of interacting with outsiders
I think it would still affect them outside that interaction with the conquerors, but you're right, it isn't a lot
Who owns the media? If it's the conquerors, there's opportunity there for indoctrinating the foreign system
I wrote:Media? Most people are illiterate in both cultures
assuming the society is modern enough to have some kind of mass media
I wrote:no, it is iron age
rip
Could you have prominent leaders who wish to get in the good graces refuse the cerimony?
I wrote:You mean refuse to let their children do the ceremony?
I feel like an iron age society with no settlement of conquered territories and no "forceful" spread of its culture simply would not have the means or will to change the gender system of a conquered cultural group in a dramatic way
Last edited by mèþru on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Also the realisticness of the first gender system isn't up to debate.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I wrote:Societies also change gender roles all on their own so there must be some way
gender systems emerge from division of labour as far as i know, so a change in the gender system would come about as the division of labour changes
for instance some changes in western european gender systems during WW2 as women entered the workforce
or changes in russian gender system following the russian revolution
I wrote:that could work well, the gender system makes one gender responsible for all offense and defense
remove war due to the empire's peace and they have societal problems
remove the power of the soldier-gender to make political decisions due to governance by a provincial governor and you have problems
now I need steps of the evolution
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Issue resolved
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Some male (and non-males with conditions causing abnormal hair growth) humans in my conworld have hair on their necks and shoulders
How would people wear them? How does it affect clothing?
My main cultures have full cloth clothes (like kimonos or hanfu); how does growing the shoulder hair out affect the design?
You could basically cover most of that upper area with a slit for hair, but that doesn't strike me as a design that would realistically evolve within such a society unless if they used to shave their hair and then stopped. What change can I do to the hanfu so that it could evolve with the manmanes not being shaved during the evolution?
kårroť
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

mèþru wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:07 pm Some male (and non-males with conditions causing abnormal hair growth) humans in my conworld have hair on their necks and shoulders
So do I. :P Oh, you mean like a mane...
mèþru wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:07 pm Some male (and non-males with conditions causing abnormal hair growth) humans in my conworld have hair on their necks and shoulders
How would people wear them? How does it affect clothing?
My main cultures have full cloth clothes (like kimonos or hanfu); how does growing the shoulder hair out affect the design?
You could basically cover most of that upper area with a slit for hair, but that doesn't strike me as a design that would realistically evolve within such a society unless if they used to shave their hair and then stopped. What change can I do to the hanfu so that it could evolve with the manmanes not being shaved during the evolution?
First, am I picturing correctly that this hair is similar to a lion's mane (but shorter, presumable, since a lion's mane also extends to his chest and back)? Assuming that's correct, I'd expect lower collars, deeper necklines, perhaps even off-the-shoulder designs if the mane is thick enough to warrant it. This is a little problematic for hanfu, which is rather...drapey and supported by the shoulders. Option B: humans put things on top of their head-hair, so you could layer the hanfu over the shoulder hair. You'll still probably want to lower the collars and open up the necklines, though.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

It grows as fast and with the same colour and texture as scalp hair, although it doesn't grow until puberty
It only grows on the top, not the sides, of the sholder
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I found my work on the vowel root languages. It's most recent version was not deleted as I thought. This is amazing stuff.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

My problem is that I made sound changes for three sister languages to that language family but can only find one sister
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Found them!
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

How can horses and humans be made less fragile for the kind of tasks they often do?
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Is anyone willing to help put content I've posted on the wiki? karrot.miraheze.org
I want to update but never end up doing so. Help would be appreciated.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I managed to figure out the mass of the star! About 0.539 solar masses.
kårroť