Elections in various countries

Topics that can go away
MacAnDàil

Re: Elections in various countries

Post by MacAnDàil »

Höcke doesn't just believe Hitler wasn't all bad. He's confused for Hitler by his the members of his own party: https://berlinpolicyjournal.com/hocke-or-hitler/.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

South Korea just had a legislative election. Turnout was around 66%, a record for this type of election. The Minjudang won by a wide margin, so now Moon is moving forward with lots of progressive ideas, like zero fossil fuel emissions by 2050.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:47 pmThe Minjudang won by a wide margin
Only in constituency voting
--
Gantz and Bibi have finally signed a coalition agreement. Fourth elections have been prevented. I will post the details of the agreement as soon as I find out what they are.
Lapid is already slamming it

A lot of things have happened that dramatically changed Israeli politics since I last was active in this thread, up to Israel basically being a dictatorship for a few weeks.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

mèþru wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:28 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:47 pmThe Minjudang won by a wide margin
Only in constituency voting
It's almost impossible for the second place party to not gain ground in the seats that are allocated proportionately, unless they lost many constituencies by a near-unanimous vote. But the conservatives only gained 6 proportional seats, while their opponents gained 4 proportional seats and 53 constituency seats. That sounds like a big win to me. In any case, 180 is the magic number for pushing legislation through the chamber at light-speed, so the Minjudang is going to be very busy making South Korea a better place.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

basically Bibi has given a lot of surprising concessions that no one would have predicted, allowing Gantz to veto all cabinet decisions and taking a relatively dovish policy
but in exchange Likud gets to appoint right-wing judges, destroying the long held tradition of a non-political court system
while there's more upsides than downsides, the downsides are so terrible that it isn't worth it.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

mèþru wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:46 pm basically Bibi has given a lot of surprising concessions that no one would have predicted, allowing Gantz to veto all cabinet decisions [...]
I guess we'll see what happens once Gantz tries to actually do that.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Meanwhile, polls have shifted across Europe to more pro-status quo positions.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Nothing to see here, folks, just the son of the Prime Minister of Israel tweeting like an old-school European antisemite:

https://twitter.com/YairNetanyahu/statu ... 6384040960
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Not really news, Yair Netanyahu has been doing much worse for a while now.
kårroť
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

mèþru wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:53 pm Not really news, Yair Netanyahu has been doing much worse for a while now.
Oh, I know. I mean, he tweeted cartoons of George Soros as a puppetmaster. I just felt that I had to draw attention to this shit.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Does anyone here know anything about the news from Ireland? Apparently there's been agreement on a Fianna Fáil/Fine Gael/Greens coalition, with the post of Taoiseach rotating between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, but it's not at all sure whether the respective parties' internal institutions will ratify the agreement.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Unrelated: According to Indian officials, at least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in clashes with Chinese troops in Kashmir.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53061476
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I guess I cant blame people on PredictIt for getting today's election wrong looking at the exit polls .... it's pretty difficult to read Pollish.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Looks like Jacinda Ardern got reelected with an outright majority for her Labour Party in New Zealand.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Yep, and in my home country of Scotland, the polls show an increased vote and majority of seats for the SNP, and increase in support for independence (up to 58%) as well: https://www-tmp.thenational.scot/news/1 ... ill-scots/
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

...And after a year the left-wingers are back in power after a sweeping electoral victory in Bolivia. I guess the conservatives were hoping people would turn against Morales' heavy handed grip on power, but I guess the people like his platform so getting rid of the questionable figure at the top just made the left stronger. Whoops!
Looks like Jacinda Ardern got reelected with an outright majority for her Labour Party in New Zealand.
Oh, and New Zealand's parliament is now 9% openly gay, the highest ratio in the world. No big deal.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Meanwhile, some polls in Israel seem to indicate that if there should be new elections there, the result could theoretically be that Netanyahu would be replaced as Prime Minister by someone even more to the right (Naftali Bennett).
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

In Chile, voters finally had a chance to throw out Pinochet's constitution, and did so with an amazing 78% vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nstitution
Torco

Post by Torco »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:51 pm ...And after a year the left-wingers are back in power after a sweeping electoral victory in Bolivia. I guess the conservatives were hoping people would turn against Morales' heavy handed grip on power, but I guess the people like his platform so getting rid of the questionable figure at the top just made the left stronger.
The Morales regime has greatly increased the Bolivian's living conditions, tbh. I was very happy that they ousted the military government.

In nice Chilean news, we recently voted yes to a proposition to get together a constitutional convention. the first in history to by law ensure half-and-half representation for women, I'm told! our current consti was written under Pinochet, and all but ensures the neoliberal right wing will forever have veto power as long as they can hold on to something like 25% of the senate.

I literally wrote this post as you wrote yours, zomp xD. anyway, yes, it was awesome. I was working the tables as an apoderado (a legally enshrined volunteer role tasked with overseeing the process, in practice you just chat with the dudes running the voting booth and then argue with them over whether a certain vote is blank or null or valid... i have no idea if this is a worldwide thing or a chile thing, tbh... I think peruvians call it personero?) anyway almost everyone but the apoderados for the opposition was transparent, though decorously indirect, about their support for the new constitution option.

An interesting thing about the election is that it was only in five boroughs* that the no-to-new-constitution option won, three of which concentrate almost all of the big company headquarters, big CEO types and the like.

here's a souvenir from the day. Image
*borough here means comuna, of which santiago has 35 or sth.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-30 at 8.28.52 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-30 at 8.28.52 PM.jpeg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 13504 times
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

A German appellate court has decided that the construction of a tunnel between the islands of Fehmarn (Germany) and Lolland (Denmark), part of the connection between Copenhagen and Hamburg, can go ahead. Environmentalists had complained that the tunnel would endanger porpoises and reefs, and locals fear that it will hurt their local economy.