Rhoticization

Natural languages and linguistics
anteallach

Re: Rhoticization

Post by anteallach »

Isn't part of the confusion down to there being two main types of American English /r/ (and NURSE vowel) one of which (the "bunched" one) isn't very well described by standard phonetic terminology?

If you're looking for syllabic coronal approximants functioning as stressed vowels, there are apparently some Scandinavian dialects where /i/ has turned into one.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 am Isn't part of the confusion down to there being two main types of American English /r/ (and NURSE vowel) one of which (the "bunched" one) isn't very well described by standard phonetic terminology?
The kind I have is the bunched one, and in the end it comes down to:
  • If is syllabic it is a uvular approximant without labialization.
  • If it is not syllabic:
    • If it is initial or following a rounded vowel it is labialized.
    • If it comes after an alveolar or postalveolar consonant it has postalveolar coarticulation.
    • It is a uvular approximant, except on rare occasions when in the coda, where then it may be a uvular trill.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Whimemsz wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:09 pm I don't know about the rest of it, but there is at least one Dravidian language with two phonemic degrees of vowel retroflexion, Badaga. (I don't know if there are others, I only know about Badaga because of the UCLA Phonetics Lab page.)
This is an interesting claim, but then the UCLA clips don't substantiate this well enough I think.
– "ụ" sounds like a fricated vowel [β̩˞].
– "ọ" sounds like a diphthong [ɔɒ˞].
– I can hear no difference in degree of retroflexion between "i˞, e˞, a˞" vs. "ị, ẹ, "ạ", only in tone and, for the second example with /a/, retroflexion of the following sibilant: [ɨ˞ː˧˥],[e˞ː˧˥], [ha˞ˑ˧su˥] (rising), [ka˞˧tːu˧] (mid) vs. [ɨ˞ˑ˦j̱u˨], [e˞ː˧˨], [kˣa˞˦ʂu˨], [pa˞ː˥wu˧] (falling).
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Yeah, like I said earlier, the contrast hasn't been that strong for almost a hundred years now, and currently, speakers only show retroflexion for a few vowels.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 am
anteallach wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 am Isn't part of the confusion down to there being two main types of American English /r/ (and NURSE vowel) one of which (the "bunched" one) isn't very well described by standard phonetic terminology?
  • If it is not syllabic:
    • If it comes after an alveolar or postalveolar consonant it has postalveolar coarticulation.
    • It is a uvular approximant, except on rare occasions when in the coda, where then it may be a uvular trill.
It's pretty clear that the usual American English "bunched r" isn't a typical uvular approximant; if it were then it wouldn't be so hard to describe properly. (Not saying that your /r/ isn't uvular.)

John Wells's blog on the subject (which shows it isn't just an American thing) has a discussion of it which suggests that it's a dorsal approximant with a distinctive hollow formed by the tongue behind the main constriction. I can make an approximant like this in the velar area which sounds /r/-like.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 am It's pretty clear that the usual American English "bunched r" isn't a typical uvular approximant; if it were then it wouldn't be so hard to describe properly. (Not saying that your /r/ isn't uvular.)

John Wells's blog on the subject (which shows it isn't just an American thing) has a discussion of it which suggests that it's a dorsal approximant with a distinctive hollow formed by the tongue behind the main constriction. I can make an approximant like this in the velar area which sounds /r/-like.
Yeah, that isn't what I have by any means. I don't even know how to articulate what he describes.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

anteallach wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 am
Travis B. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 am
  • If it is not syllabic:
It's pretty clear that the usual American English "bunched r" isn't a typical uvular approximant; if it were then it wouldn't be so hard to describe properly. (Not saying that your /r/ isn't uvular.)

Can confirm that this is precisely the nature of my bunched-R. I transcribe it as [ɹ̱ˁ]. I wish I could transfer the knowledge of how to produce that weird pharyngealized R to producing Syriac's emphatic consonants...
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Zaarin wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:36 pm Can confirm that this is precisely the nature of my bunched-R. I transcribe it as [ɹ̱ˁ]. I wish I could transfer the knowledge of how to produce that weird pharyngealized R to producing Syriac's emphatic consonants...
See, with that description, I can make a pharyngealized postalveolar approximant...