Sound Change Quickie Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Richard W

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Richard W »

Ser wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:40 pm I don't know of any language that works like that, but then I don't claim to know about the morphophonology of many languages. Early Middle English and the Late Latin ancestor of Gallo/Italo-Romance and Dalmatian forbid CVCV with a short V1, but they force the V1 to lengthen (> CV:CV), e.g. OE duru [ˈduru] > ME dore [ˈdo:rə] 'door', Anglian OE wicu [ˈwiku] > ME weke [ˈwe:kə] 'week', Old Latin fidem [ˈfidem] > Late Latin [ˈfeːde] > early Old French feid [feiθ], Dalmatian [faid] 'faith'.
Not so uniformly. OE sunu has kept the first short vowel (Mod. E. son), and OE also had dor 'door'.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Richard W wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:43 pmNot so uniformly. OE sunu has kept the first short vowel (Mod. E. son), and OE also had dor 'door'.
Right. It is possible to detect exceptions like that in Late Latin too, e.g. malē 'bad' > Old French mal (instead of expected > *[ˈma:le] > *mel, cf. mare 'sea' > *[ˈma:re] > *[ˈme:re] > mer).
Last edited by Kuchigakatai on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

How could I phonetically reduce these nominative pronouns below so that they become possessive suffixes?

Code: Select all

Nominative:
   Singular | Plural
1: t̪em      | mem
2: xam      | dʒam
They would occur either after the gender endings or before them, I haven't decided:

maʃg-o "land"    > maʃg-V-t̪em-o  OR maʃg-o-t̪em
gol-e "horse"    > gol-V-dʒam-e  OR gol-e-dʒam
lʲan̪-ei̯ "person" > lʲan̪-V-mem-ei̯ OR lʲan̪-ei̯-mem
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

I'd suggest putting them after in terms of naturalness, because the gender suffixes are an integral lexical part of the noun, and that's just what languages tend to do. Derivational suffixes can often go in between though, as in Arabic /ʕarab-iːj-at-un/ arab-ADJ-FEM-NOM 'Arab woman', or Spanish grande-cit-o big-DIM-MASC.SG 'cute big male person/thing'. (Of course, you're free to do whatever you want regardless of how normal it is in natlangs.)

I'm not sure what your question is about, really... just take phonemes out or pronounce them "lazily" (lenited)? Say, maʃg-o-tem > maʃgot, or maʃgo(ð)i, or maʃgotsə, etc. (along with maʃg-o-mem > maʃgom, or maʃgõĩ, or maʃgomə, etc.).
TurkeySloth

Post by TurkeySloth »

What are some vowel systems that can emerge from a co-mingling of my setting's Elvish and Primordial languages (vowel systems below), aside from a direct combination?

Elvish: (oral) /ɑ ɐ e ɪ o ɯ/; (nasal) /ɑ̃ ɛ̃ ɔ̃ ɯ̃̽/
Primordial: /ɑ e̞ i o̞ ʊ/ with [Kɑ → Pa] and [CV → NṼ], where K is a click, P is a non-nasal pulmonic, C is a non-nasal consonant, N is [m ʇ̃ ʖ̃ ʗ̃], and V is any vowel
f/k/a yangfiretiger121
Alien conlangs
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Ser wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:42 pm I'd suggest putting them after in terms of naturalness, because the gender suffixes are an integral lexical part of the noun, and that's just what languages tend to do. Derivational suffixes can often go in between though, as in Arabic /ʕarab-iːj-at-un/ arab-ADJ-FEM-NOM 'Arab woman', or Spanish grande-cit-o big-DIM-MASC.SG 'cute big male person/thing'. (Of course, you're free to do whatever you want regardless of how normal it is in natlangs.)

I'm not sure what your question is about, really... just take phonemes out or pronounce them "lazily" (lenited)? Say, maʃg-o-tem > maʃgot, or maʃgo(ð)i, or maʃgotsə, etc. (along with maʃg-o-mem > maʃgom, or maʃgõĩ, or maʃgomə, etc.).
I don't do diachronics very well so I don't know all the interesting changes morphemes could undergo. I kinda wanted them to not simply be the first consonant of the original pronoun. Simply maʃgot, maʃgom, maʃgox, maʃgodʒ is boring.

Also the gender ending is tied with case and when compounding the gender endings are dropped.

Problems are also run into when dealing with all the cases:

масьг-о-тем "my house"   / масьг-о-мем "our house"
масьг-ом-тем "my house"  / масьг-ом-мем "our house"
масьг-ась-тем "my house" / масьг-ась-мем "our house"
масьг-ук-тем "my house"  / масьг-ук-мем "our house"

масьг-о-хам "your house"   / масьг-о-ѕьам "your house"
масьг-ом-хам "your house"  / масьг-ом-ѕьам "your house"
масьг-ась-хам "your house" / масьг-ась-ѕьам "your house"
масьг-ук-хам "your house"  / масьг-ук-ѕьам "your house"

масьг-о-лаі "his house"   / масьг-о-каі "their house"
масьг-ом-лаі "his house"  / масьг-ом-каі "their house"
масьг-ась-лаі "his house" / масьг-ась-каі "their house"
масьг-ук-лаі "his house"  / масьг-ук-каі "their house"

гол-е-тем "my horse"   / гол-е-мем "our horse"
гол-ем-тем "my horse"  / гол-ем-мем "our horse"
гол-ась-тем "my horse" / гол-ась-мем "our horse"
гол-ик-тем "my horse"  / гол-ик-мем "our horse"

гол-е-хам "your horse"   / гол-е-ѕьам "your horse"
гол-ем-хам "your horse"  / гол-ем-ѕьам "your horse"
гол-ась-хам "your horse" / гол-ась-ѕьам "your horse"
гол-ик-хам "your horse"  / гол-ик-ѕьам "your horse"

гол-е-лаі "his horse"   / гол-е-каі "their horse"
гол-ем-лаі "his horse"  / гол-ем-каі "their horse"
гол-ась-лаі "his horse" / гол-ась-каі "their horse"
гол-ик-лаі "his horse"  / гол-ик-каі "their horse"
I guess I’ll just give up on possessive affixes since nothing I can think of can match the criteria of a) being distinct from the nominative pronoun forms and the ergative person prefixes and b) can be phonetically/euphonically compatible with all the case forms.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Ahzoh wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 pm
i would think that the possessive affixes would more likely arise from the genitives, but i guess it depends on the history of your language .... i defied my own advice with Poswa , but Pabappa, which is more like an SAE language, derives its possessives from genitives. Anyway, some random ideas maybe if you decide to stick with it:

Are the suffixes always unstressed? how about
1) loss of unstressed final /m/,
2) final unstressed /e/ > /i/,
3) sporadic /m/ > /Ø/ when overlaying two unaccented syllables (or /x/, or pick another one),
4) voicing of all voiceless consonants when overlaying two unaccented syllables.

These changes could end you up with something like /-ḍi -i -ɣa -dža/ or perhaps /-ḍi -mi -a -dža/ instead of /ṭem mem xam džam/.

These would apply to all words, not just the inflections, but analogical restoration could take effect since roots would be commonly padded by the suffixes.

As for your other post, I dont understand why you have four versions of each word. Are you fusing the case markers with the gender affixes from the first post?
karaluuebru

Post by karaluuebru »

through morphological processes, a word /wjous/ has been produced - what could the sounds become?

/bjous/?
/jwous/>/gwous/?
/wous/?
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

In my languages I usually just shift /wj/ to /j/, even though I otherwise favor labial consonants. I do have one language where I shifted it to /w/ under some conditions, but only because /j/ was disappearing in those environments even without the /w/. Especially seeing as the following vowel is already rounded, I would bet on the /j/ being the dominating influence if you're looking to end up with a single consonant. But, if this is a sound change that is only going to take place in just this one word, you can pretty much pick any of the options you've come up with and go with it, though the /jw/ > /gw/ shift looks less likely than the others.
Zju

Post by Zju »

I'd go for one of /wujous/ /ujous/ /wijous/ /wəjous/ (or for any default/neutral vowel that there is in the lang).
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Oh, also, /v/ as in Slavic.... Though it'd be a lot more likely to end up as /v/ if that is already a reasonably common sound to begin with.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:45 pmAs for your other post, I dont understand why you have four versions of each word. Are you fusing the case markers with the gender affixes from the first post?
Those four versions are all the cases, Absolutive, Ergative, Dative, and Prepositional. There are no genitive forms.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

karaluuebru wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:51 pm through morphological processes, a word /wjous/ has been produced - what could the sounds become?

/bjous/?
/jwous/>/gwous/?
/wous/?
initial /wj/ clusters are fine; however, it's crosslinguistically common for w to fricate or labiodentalize before front vowels, so you could have βj- ʋj- vj- (probably also with w > the corresponding sound before front vowels, but maybe not, cf. the Irish slender-broad pair vʲ w)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Knit Tie

Post by Knit Tie »

In order to simplify the clusters in my lang, I've decided to do some tonogenesis, which I think is justified by it being surrounded by many tonal African languages and being adopted by speakers of said languages a lot.

So with regards to that, would you say that
Vɻ → Vh → V(low tone), but CɻV → ChV → CV (high tone)
is realistic? The same will apply to the /h/ produced from /s/ debuccalisation in clusters.
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Knit Tie wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm So with regards to that, would you say that
Vɻ → Vh → V(low tone), but CɻV → ChV → CV (high tone)
is realistic? The same will apply to the /h/ produced from /s/ debuccalisation in clusters.
For the first change, it kinda depends on what you mean. Assuming that it's only meant to occur when [ɻ] (or [s]) is in coda position, then it's totally realistic and I wouldn't give it a second thought. Otherwise I'm more skeptical. Typically when tone emerges from consonant loss, it's loss of coda consonants specifically. Intervocalic [ɻ] dropping and yielding tone would be unexpected to me, but... it may be attested somewhere. It doesn't sound impossible (maybe via rhotacization?) but I'd be skeptical.

As for the second change, I'd probably buy it. If high tone is simply the default tone and you just have ɻ s > h > ∅ /C_ then you're definitely good. If you actually want loss of [h] in this position to generate the high tone, then you could turn [h] into aspiration/breathy voice on the preceding consonant, and then have that disappear and induce tone on the following vowel (cf. Punjabi). I don't imagine ɻ > h would happen as a single step in this position, but it could probably work via [ʂ] or [x].
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Knit Tie

Post by Knit Tie »

Max1461 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:38 pm
Yeah, the first sound change is only meant to occur when /ɻ/ is in coda position, intervocalic /ɻ/ will simply fortify to /ʐ/ and stay that way.

As for the second one, /ɻ/ → /ʐ/;/ʂ/ after consonants is something that I'm already doing, which will create a new retroflex series out of the existing coronals and then debuccalise everywhere else, i.e. /tɻa/ → /ʈ͡ʂa/, but /kɻa/ → /kʂa/ → /kha/ → /kʰa/ → /kà/. How's that?
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Knit Tie wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am
Yeah, the first sound change is only meant to occur when /ɻ/ is in coda position, intervocalic /ɻ/ will simply fortify to /ʐ/ and stay that way.

As for the second one, /ɻ/ → /ʐ/;/ʂ/ after consonants is something that I'm already doing, which will create a new retroflex series out of the existing coronals and then debuccalise everywhere else, i.e. /tɻa/ → /ʈ͡ʂa/, but /kɻa/ → /kʂa/ → /kha/ → /kʰa/ → /kà/. How's that?
Looks very plausible to me, though I'd expect aspiration to yield high tone more readily than low tone (as in your previous post).
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Knit Tie

Post by Knit Tie »

Max1461 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:15 pm
Knit Tie wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am

Looks very plausible to me, though I'd expect aspiration to yield high tone more readily than low tone (as in your previous post).
Yeah, I just used the wrong top accent there.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

What are some ways *r and *l can arise in a language that doesn't initially have them?
Darren

Post by Darren »

thethief3 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:11 pm What are some ways *r and *l can arise in a language that doesn't initially have them?
Lenition of /t d/ between vowels, rhotacising -s- between vowels, /n/ being denasalised, non-sibilant fricatives like /ð/.

ie.
t → l,r /V_V
d → l,r /V_V
s → r /V_V
n → l
θ,ð,ɬ → l