Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Natural languages and linguistics
aliensdrinktea

Re: Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Post by aliensdrinktea »

Moving to Spain a year ago, I had to unlearn /s/ for <z> and <c>, which is what I'd been taught in the US. In Spain, <z c> are pronounced /θ/. I've pretty much got the hang of it now... apart from occasionally slipping into ceceo (<z c s> all as /θ/) due to hypercorrection.

In English, I've been told I should unlearn [ˈæltɚnət], among other words where my use of /æ/ is apparently wrong. I couldn't care less if it's wrong.

I pronounce hyperbole like "hyper-bowl" in my head, though not out loud.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

aliensdrinktea wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:55 pmIn English, I've been told I should unlearn [ˈæltɚnət], among other words where my use of /æ/ is apparently wrong. I couldn't care less if it's wrong.
I had to reread that transcription three times before I could figure out what word you meant, so you might want to consider how this pronunciation is impacting intelligibility.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:50 am
aliensdrinktea wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:55 pmIn English, I've been told I should unlearn [ˈæltɚnət], among other words where my use of /æ/ is apparently wrong. I couldn't care less if it's wrong.
I had to reread that transcription three times before I could figure out what word you meant, so you might want to consider how this pronunciation is impacting intelligibility.
I too had to think a bit about that pronunciation there...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

aliensdrinktea wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:55 pm I pronounce hyperbole like "hyper-bowl" in my head, though not out loud.
The first time I saw the word, that's how I pronounced it in my head, too. I was young and didn't know what it means and if I had heard it spoken before that point, it would have made no impact.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Archives as */'ɑːrtʃɪvz/ instead of /'ɑːrkaɪvz/. I think I learned the correct pronunciation in Batman Begins.
jal

Post by jal »

Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:30 amArchives as */'ɑːrtʃɪvz/ instead of /'ɑːrkaɪvz/. I think I learned the correct pronunciation in Batman Begins.
Interesting, as "chives" is /tʃaɪvz/, and most words in -ives (lives, knives) have /aɪ/. Why did you assume an /ɪ/?

JAL
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

jal wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:57 am
Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:30 amArchives as */'ɑːrtʃɪvz/ instead of /'ɑːrkaɪvz/. I think I learned the correct pronunciation in Batman Begins.
Interesting, as "chives" is /tʃaɪvz/, and most words in -ives (lives, knives) have /aɪ/. Why did you assume an /ɪ/?
But phonetically disyllabic words mostly have /ɪv/. The subtlety, though, is that these are Latinate words, so 'ch' should be hard. I suppose the exception to the exception is that arch- is often (usually?) soft, as in archbishop but not in archangel. (There may be a rule to distinguish these two cases.)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

In a somewhat similar way, I learned the proper pronunciation of 'hierarchy' from the Screwtape Letters' Lowerarchy.
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

Does anybody else besides me keep forgetting that Keynesian does not rhyme with Indonesian, Polynesian, etc.?
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

StrangerCoug wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:04 pm Does anybody else besides me keep forgetting that Keynesian does not rhyme with Indonesian, Polynesian, etc.?
🤷‍♂️ Ive always had that one right, but Ive heard that pronunciation on a voice chat about politics, and it was not corrected by others (nor by me). I think the main reason I always had it right was because I heard it out loud in high school before I came across it in print.
jal

Post by jal »

StrangerCoug wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:04 pmDoes anybody else besides me keep forgetting that Keynesian does not rhyme with Indonesian, Polynesian, etc.?
Now it's a word I've rarely encountered before, but given dat "Keynes" rhymes with "lanes", I think I would've guessed (though without context, I might've mistaken it for "key-nesian" or something).

JAL
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

wait, its /e:/? Good thing I kept my mouth shut then .

It's possible my history teacher was also wrong, or just that I misrremmbrred.....it's been a while .
jal

Post by jal »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:44 amwait, its /e:/?
Well, /eɪ/.

JAL
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Richard W wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:29 am The subtlety, though, is that these are Latinate words, so 'ch' should be hard. I suppose the exception to the exception is that arch- is often (usually?) soft, as in archbishop but not in archangel. (There may be a rule to distinguish these two cases.)
It's pretty remarkable that the same morpheme, with the same meaning, in the same domain (religion), has two different pronunciations.

I think "arch" as "chief" is [tʃ] in everything except archangel— cf. archdeacon, archfiend, archenemy, arch-villain.

I think there is a loose rule: if it's pure Greco-Latin, it's [k]. Thus archeology, archaic, architect, archon, archetype, architrave. If it's OE or French, it gets [tʃ], including of course "arch".

There's an older word "archimage" which fits the Greco-Latin pattern and is thus [k]. People seem divided on "arch-mage", presumably because it's not clear what tier of the lexicon it's supposed to belong to.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

the word cherub got its /tʃ/ by coming through French, so French intermediary borrowing might explain the arches. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/archange#French doesnt give a pronunciation, but Im assuming it's with /ʃ/, from earlier /tʃ/, and that other words beginning with arch- in French also have that.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Nah, the French are confused too, maybe more so.

ar[k]aïque, ar[k]ange, ar[k]éologie, ar[k]étype
ar[ʃ]e, ar[ʃ]evêque, ar[ʃ]iduc ar[ʃ]ipel, ar[ʃ]itecte, ar[ʃ]ives
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Looking at the OED, it appears that the explanation for /k/ in archangel but not archdeacon or archbishop is that the /k/ was before a front vowel in Latin archidiaconis and archiepiscopus but before a non-front one in archangelus. From that, you might expect Old French and probably English to have arce; the OED does say "Old French arce-, later arche-" so maybe there was some Italian influence.

(The English /tʃ/ may be from direct borrowing into Old English.)
jal

Post by jal »

Just learned that "scathing" rhymes with "bathing". For some reason, I'd always assumed it had /æ/.

JAL
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

i internalized Ponzi as /'pɔn.zaɪ/ from reading it somewhere and not hearing it out loud. 🤷‍♂️Just one of those things like bijou that I picked up when I was too young to know the rules of when and where to expect foreign values for written vowels. I dont know if I ever said it out loud or not, and of course I know better now, but I might never get rid of the mental pronunciation.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I just now learned that the t in Moët is not silent. (Given how unpredictable pronunciation of proper names can be in French, I'm really surprised more French Wikipedia articles don't include pronunciation information.)