Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Venting thread that is tentatively once again all-inclusive

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Oh, my. I hope he understands she might be dangerous...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Thanks, everyone. I know this kind of crap happens with depressing regularity, but nowadays it's rare for it to happen to someone so close to me.

On the plus side, my sister--having no clue about any of this--sent him some stocking stuffers along with my gift because that's just the sort of person she is. (She warned me ahead of time so I could tell him, "Please don't feel like you have to reciprocate.")
doctor shark wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 amAnd if it's anything like some families I know, there's the expectation that he'll be all "everything's great and we're this happy family again" come the next holiday season. That's more the worst bit, to me: this notion that you're supposed to always be there for family members regardless of how toxic they are and how much they treat you like trash and how everything's rainbows and unicorns.
Yeah, I expect that's the case here, too. They were all happy to have him fly down (he's from Texas too) to help out when his father was hospitalised, but respect his adult decisions? Pfft!
doctor shark wrote:And on the slightly related topic of trouble with relatives, I've become increasingly convinced with each passing day (and interaction) that my father's wife is a toxic [redacted], but now it's grown into concern for his safety as well.
Well that was a harrowing read. I'm really sorry; it's sounds like a truly awful situation and there's not much you can do unless he realises himself that this is not healthy and asks for you help.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Linguoboy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:13 pmOn the plus side, my sister--having no clue about any of this--sent him some stocking stuffers along with my gift because that's just the sort of person she is. (She warned me ahead of time so I could tell him, "Please don't feel like you have to reciprocate.")
Your sister is very sweet, and reading of her doing this this was quite uplifting.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:21 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:13 pmOn the plus side, my sister--having no clue about any of this--sent him some stocking stuffers along with my gift because that's just the sort of person she is. (She warned me ahead of time so I could tell him, "Please don't feel like you have to reciprocate.")
Your sister is very sweet, and reading of her doing this this was quite uplifting.
Seconded - at least that's a bright spot in all of this.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Stop dodging the issue, linguoboy: was his cornbread stuffing edible?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 am Stop dodging the issue, linguoboy: was his cornbread stuffing edible?
It was fine. Just a generic cornbread stuffing with celery and onion like you’d get in a cafeteria except that he put turkey into the stuffing itself (he bought smoked turkey legs expressly for this) which I’ve never seen anyone do before.

For Christmas Eve dinner he bought frozen taquitos from Wal-mart. They were tasty enough, but seriously?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I really want to get back here and be the very frequent poster I used to be and write comments and encouragement on everyone's languages

but I just don't have the mental strength to be so social right now and that really bothers me
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Taking care of yourself is important, too.
malloc

Post by malloc »

It really baffles me that my hair is thinning so rapidly this year. It seems too quick and soon for the natural hair loss of old age. Yet my doctor found nothing major wrong apart from my hernia, certainly nothing that would cause hair loss.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Judging from your posts here, it seems you've been under much stress this year. And that definitely causes hair loss.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Hair loss can also be genetic, and the exact point as to when loss starts varies from person to person. Some people I knew were quite bald by their mid-20's, while some who also developed pattern hair loss really only started to go bald mid-30's. (My father really started losing his hair around... I think it was his late 30's/early 40's?)

Minor vent: I ordered a few products from a big electronics chain store, since the brick and mortar stores are closed due to lockdown. I got the packages two days ago, and two out of the three products arrived and were exactly what I wanted. The third? Well, instead of getting the nice heater I ordered, I got two "air purifiers". And trying to get in contact with the store is quite an "adventure" considering that apparently everyone had the same idea I did, not to mention getting English-language help because of how woefully deficient my Dutch is...

And on a Dutch-related vent, it feels like my Dutch has been progressing way too slowly for the eight months I've been here already, but, then again, it's been lockdown... and it's quite hard to compare my Dutch progress to that in German and French, because in both German and French I wasn't starting from very beginner's level.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I think the Biotin supplements my doctor prescribed are adversely affecting my concentration.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Aging-onset hair loss does not happen at a set pace your whole life. It can go in spurts. I had a friend who started to notice hair loss, and assumed it was the shower water in his new apartment. It was just aging. My body has been the same way, though obviously not with male-pattern hair loss. My eyes got worse in my 20s, and if they had continued at that rate I would be blind now, but they plateaued, at least for the time being. The receding of my gums was also alarmingly sudden, but then stopped quickly.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

This birthday is even worse than the one I tried to commit suicide during.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Fuck. I hope things get better for you.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Hey, happy birthday, and I hope things get better soon! And, you know, fuck those Nazi bastards.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Whatever despair you feel, I am sincerely happy it is not threatening to end you this time, at least...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

"The Failed Coup of 2021" really sounds like some weak plot point in a dystopian novel.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

We can call it the Maga Putsch.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I've thought since around late 2015 that if we really do all live in a big work of fiction, it's probably a very dark political satire.

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am We can call it the Maga Putsch.
Someone called it the Beer Belly Putsch. Then again, I'm not really in a joking mood.