Soshul meedja.

Topics that can go away
Linguoboy

Re: Soshul meedja.

Post by Linguoboy »

Great job following the “don’t eat the newbies” rule, everybody!

In future, if you suspect a new user of being an old user under a new name, please share your suspicions with me or Zompist and not, you know, freaking everyone.

Welcome, Nachtswalbe. I hope you enjoy it here.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Welcome to the ZBB, Nachtswalbe! And don't mind those who assume that anyone new must be he who shall not be named in disguise.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Oh yeah, good idea. Welcome, Nachtswalbe! Gherkins and chai! What German do you know?
Sorry for thinking you might be Bob because of your denial.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Btw, pickles and tea are our traditional offerings to new users.

Image Image
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Relatedly, I have never visited Twitter ever, but I have encountered videos and comments from varying degrees of right-leaning people and they always complain about Twitter as if Twitter is like 99.999% leftwing SJW morality-police anti-freespeech fun-ruiners, when I'm pretty sure Twitter has just as many rightwing bastions on that platform. On the other hand, I've never had people in my leftwing circles whine about twitter being a rightwing cesspit. I think they complain about Reddit to the same degree as well.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I don't quite get how people can evaluate Twitter as a whole. I can see people having problems on Facebook where it seems to be expected that you friend your cousins and grade school acquaintances. But you don't have to do that on Twitter. I have a pretty small friends list and it's still a big time sink.

Anyway, parts of Twitter are delightful. Semiticist Twitter is lots of fun— right now, people are sharing translations of the Star Wars opening crawl into ancient languages.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

I spend way too much time on the Ribbonfarm sphere of mechanical engineer-turned-philosopher for VCs Venkatesh Rao, a self-proclaimed both-tongue-in-cheek-and-literally sociopathic amoralist whose adherence to a modified version of High Modernism ("English, Spanish and Chinese are adapted to Modernity, smaller languages will only be spoken by lumpenproles") and his post-rationalist (a reaction to Yudkowsky's ratsphere) and its weird hangerons, and my feed is filled with Politics Discussion so
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:34 pm I spend way too much time on the Ribbonfarm sphere of mechanical engineer-turned-philosopher for VCs Venkatesh Rao, a self-proclaimed both-tongue-in-cheek-and-literally sociopathic amoralist whose adherence to a modified version of High Modernism ("English, Spanish and Chinese are adapted to Modernity, smaller languages will only be spoken by lumpenproles") and his post-rationalist (a reaction to Yudkowsky's ratsphere) and its weird hangerons, and my feed is filled with Politics Discussion so
What... does this mean?
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:08 pm
Nachtswalbe wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:34 pm I spend way too much time on the Ribbonfarm sphere of mechanical engineer-turned-philosopher for VCs Venkatesh Rao, a self-proclaimed both-tongue-in-cheek-and-literally sociopathic amoralist whose adherence to a modified version of High Modernism ("English, Spanish and Chinese are adapted to Modernity, smaller languages will only be spoken by lumpenproles") and his post-rationalist (a reaction to Yudkowsky's ratsphere) and its weird hangerons, and my feed is filled with Politics Discussion so
What... does this mean?
venkatesh rao is a business blogger who latched onto an obscure splinter sect of the california human potential movement
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

zompist wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:26 pm I don't quite get how people can evaluate Twitter as a whole. I can see people having problems on Facebook where it seems to be expected that you friend your cousins and grade school acquaintances. But you don't have to do that on Twitter. I have a pretty small friends list and it's still a big time sink.
The problem with Twitter is that it's just not moderated, or not very well, with predictable results.
Oh and you get a lot of unsolicited opinion since tweets people you follow liked or replied to show up in your TL whether you like it or not. (You can block people, though, which has kind of the nostalgic charm of the plonkfile).

Other than that, it's still pretty fun, as long you curate your 'following' list carefully enough to stay far away from the politcal debates.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Nortaneous wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:35 pm
dɮ the phoneme wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:08 pm
What... does this mean?
venkatesh rao is a business blogger who latched onto an obscure splinter sect of the california human potential movement
This. Basically a pseudointellectual for an obscure fringe movement online that I wasted too much time on.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I am on Twitter: https://twitter.com/megravethornru
Also I'm on Discord: mèþru (they/she/he)#1169
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

I am now also on twitter: @dlzhthephoneme, also tumblr: @Max1461
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I now have a schlaugh.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

What's a schlaugh?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:11 am What's a schlaugh?
Schlaugh is a blogging platform focused on a measured production and consumption experience. It updates at the same time every day and you can only post once per day. You can’t see who follows you nor respond directly to posts (though you can tag others and a general tag, “milkshake”, is used as a catch-all for posts you want to reach a wider audience). It’s very zen.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I'm now on tumblr: enbylvania65000.tumblr.com/

I suggest people who want to maintain contact with me long-term reach out on discord or at least my twitter or tumblr, because I'm really not sure the board's changed enough for me to want to stay here. I'll be taking an indefinite break now.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

TikTok lured me in with those sea shanties.

SOON MAY THE WELLERMAN COME
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

I won't ever download tiktok, but I too am in love with the shanty trend.
Ares Land wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:51 pm SOON MAY THE WELLERMAN COME
TO BRING US SUGAR AND TEA AND RUM
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Do these all count as social media?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vijay.john.543792/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4FHy ... zZh_9KNYug
Twitter: @VijayJohn5
Reddit: u/Depietate
Discord: Vijay#5848

Discord and Messenger are the ones I use the most.