Random Thread

Topics that can go away
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Re: Random Thread

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

After a semi-unintentional year long hiatus, I am back around these parts again. Hello everybody.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:40 pm After a semi-unintentional year long hiatus, I am back around these parts again. Hello everybody.
Welcome back!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:40 pm After a semi-unintentional year long hiatus, I am back around these parts again. Hello everybody.
Hello again!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Hi!
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:18 pm))
Thank you, interesting perspectives! To be honest, I've felt a bit weird for long, in that I never really shared the rest of humanity's love of villainous characters.
There's apparently way too much sympathy for Jeffrey Dahmer on social media, believe it or not.

One thing I do notice is that memorable villains are often, not really portrayed as villainous.

Darth Vader's real crimes (torture) are only hinted at.
What we actually see him do is defeat Obi-Wan in honorable single combat. Otherwise his character is demonstrated by having him repeatedly choking incompetent fascist officers who more than deserved it. No wonder people like the guy!
(Anakin in the prequels is utterly unsympathetic, which is probably not what Lucas intended but is otherwise a lot more typical of how real-world villains actually behave.)

Batman villains are more clearly scary and fucked up, but hey, Batman himself is not entirely sane. (I mean, the whole point of a Batman story, when it's done right, is that he's exactly as crazy as his opponents.)
Welcome back!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your posts again.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:52 am One thing I do notice is that memorable villains are often, not really portrayed as villainous.

Darth Vader's real crimes (torture) are only hinted at.
What we actually see him do is defeat Obi-Wan in honorable single combat. Otherwise his character is demonstrated by having him repeatedly choking incompetent fascist officers who more than deserved it.
Well, there's the destruction of Alderaan. Though I guess that possibly apocryphal Stalin quote applies there.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 am Well, there's the destruction of Alderaan. Though I guess that possibly apocryphal Stalin quote applies there.
That was Tarkin, the other villain, who is never seen again (presumably force-choked (*)) and seems to be engaged in a power struggle with Vader, who as I recall is very skeptical about the Death Star.

(*)Having two villains can be pretty confusing. It was handled a lot better in Empire Strikes Back, which really had a pretty decent script.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:54 am That was Tarkin, the other villain,
Oh, sorry, my bad.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:04 am
Ares Land wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:54 am That was Tarkin, the other villain,
Oh, sorry, my bad.
Apology accepted.

*force-chokes*
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:54 am
Raphael wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 am Well, there's the destruction of Alderaan. Though I guess that possibly apocryphal Stalin quote applies there.
That was Tarkin, the other villain, who is never seen again (presumably force-choked (*)) and seems to be engaged in a power struggle with Vader, who as I recall is very skeptical about the Death Star.

(*)Having two villains can be pretty confusing. It was handled a lot better in Empire Strikes Back, which really had a pretty decent script.
Actually, it is presumed that Tarkin died when the first Death Star exploded.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

It is very clear that Tarkin died with the destruction of the Death Star: he specifically refused to evacuate. The camera lingers on him standing in the command room just before the explosion.

OFFICER: We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger. Should I have your ship standing by?
TARKIN: Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!

Also, I doubt that Vader would force-choke him. Really, if we take the first film in isolation, Tarkin is the main villain: Vader is just a henchman, the Oddjob to his Goldfinger.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I swear i just went to sleep and woke up thinking about the exact thing i was thinking about previously. Kinda like i experienced a time skip (I don't know if i stop thinking before i go to sleep or not).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

foxcatdog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:15 am I swear i just went to sleep and woke up thinking about the exact thing i was thinking about previously. Kinda like i experienced a time skip (I don't know if i stop thinking before i go to sleep or not).
Interesting.
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Oh! Also I forgot to mention in my last post: I am doing a linguistics PhD now. So that's kinda cool.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:47 am Oh! Also I forgot to mention in my last post: I am doing a linguistics PhD now. So that's kinda cool.
Ooh, that is cool! What are you studying? (And also where? if I may ask.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Halian

Post by Halian »

*flop*
Hâlian the Protogen
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Halian wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:27 am*flop*
????
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

By the way, just in case you want to feel old, today is the first day on which a Jewish boy born on the day that Lady Gaga's Bad Romance was officially released might have his Bar Mitzvah.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I feel older than I already did.