Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Linguoboy

Re: Random Thread

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:56 am By the way, just in case you want to feel old, today is the first day on which a Jewish boy born on the day that Lady Gaga's Bad Romance was officially released might have his Bar Mitzvah.
Oh good, that means that the asshole that I had a crush on when this song came out is probably dead by now or close to it.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:28 am
Raphael wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:04 am
Ares Land wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:54 am That was Tarkin, the other villain,
Oh, sorry, my bad.
Apology accepted.

*force-chokes*
Oh, maaan! You force-spilled my beer!
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

I think I may be synesthetic. I strongly associate sounds with tastes/smells, to the degree that in fact the name of a food can affect how it tastes to me. The strongest taste association is between labial and retroflex sounds and peanut butter. One of the reasons I enjoy languages with a lot of retroflexes (for which the association is strongest) is that they "taste good" to me. Interestingly I think this is part of why I don't like German, it "smells" like hot rubber/plastic a lot of the time, which gives me a headache. Not sure which sounds are causing this exactly.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:02 am I think I may be synesthetic. I strongly associate sounds with tastes/smells, to the degree that in fact the name of a food can affect how it tastes to me. The strongest taste association is between labial and retroflex sounds and peanut butter. One of the reasons I enjoy languages with a lot of retroflexes (for which the association is strongest) is that they "taste good" to me. Interestingly I think this is part of why I don't like German, it "smells" like hot rubber/plastic a lot of the time, which gives me a headache. Not sure which sounds are causing this exactly.
What does your titular phoneme taste like?
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Today I learned there are fonts that style '&' in a shape that resembles its origin 'et', like this:

alice

Post by alice »

quinterbeck wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm Today I learned there are fonts that style '&' in a shape that resembles its origin 'et', like this:

That's a lot nicer than a lazy curly "E" with a vertical line through it, which I've always disliked.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Random: I actually got hired to work on a commission for banknote designs that this person's going to print. It's my first commission like this in a very long time, and I'm having a lot of fun with it...
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

quinterbeck wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm Today I learned there are fonts that style '&' in a shape that resembles its origin 'et', like this:

People typeset the ampersand in all kinds of interesting ways:

(from http://shadycharacters.co.uk/2011/06/th ... rt-2-of-2/)

(from https://99designs.com.au/blog/tips/hist ... ypography/)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
keenir

Post by keenir »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:00 am Random: I actually got hired to work on a commission for banknote designs that this person's going to print. It's my first commission like this in a very long time, and I'm having a lot of fun with it...
thats very cool. kudos and congrats
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:00 am Random: I actually got hired to work on a commission for banknote designs that this person's going to print. It's my first commission like this in a very long time, and I'm having a lot of fun with it...
Is it Christine Lagarde? ;-)
Anyway, congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congratulations!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Thanks, all! Hopefully I'll be able to show results in a few weeks...
hwhatting wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:02 am
Is it Christine Lagarde? ;-)
I wish. :P
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations, doctor!
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Cheap idea for a Halloween costume: wear a business casual attire, and claim to be the CEO of a tech company. Now that's scary.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Related: I saw pictures of Elon Musk's halloween party this morning and to be honest I'm not sure I'm going to sleep well tonight.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Munchkin Digital will be available on Steam in about 10 hours.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

In Gaming news, there's also a new Sonic thing, and Pokémon Generation IX is probably about to get spoilered all over the Internet.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I've played games in both series. Sonic is fast and probably less fun then in remember. Pokemon is grindy and repetitive so i've never finished it (not that i finished sonic but i at least think i would be able to finish a pokemon game) but i do like the creature things the game offers (i like the eeveelutions i particular). The retro game i've probably sunk the most time into is Golden Axe 3 (i had a disc which contains a bunch of old games from Sega and that was one of the games on it).
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I never found Pokémon that grindy, but I didn't try to "catch 'em all", I just played through the games with a team I liked.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I don't know much about Pokemon, but Steam will release Dwarf Fortress on December 6. Not sure I can afford $30, honestly.

Munchkin will become available on December 1.