Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I've heard it said that most people like opera, they just don't know they like it.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 pmI've heard it said that most people like opera, they just don't know they like it.
I haven't met a single person who doesn't enjoy Rossini. They're just not necessarily used to sitting through an entire production instead of short excerpts (generally featuring animated rabbits). Verdi has broad appeal as well. Even though I didn't recognise any of tunes in Don Carlos, the style was instantly familiar (and--unlike with some of his very early work--there wasn't a clunker in the bunch; the time went by so quickly I at first thought there were two intermissions rather than just one).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth 0.49.0 is out, and in addition to including a number of important bugfixes, it adds the optional capabilities to create and manipulate bitmaps and monospace bitmap fonts (and includes a simple ASCII font) and to use I2C SSD1306-based OLED displays, I also have a number of example programs using such displays, ranging from bouncing ball sprites to Conway's Game of Life.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have added automatic best-effort fault recovery to zeptoforth - it is not in a release yet, but it will be in one soon!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My sister’s dog was pushing one of the toys with her little head and it was so adorable!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

This weekend I completed my first Python script for a 3D software I use in my production work. I've done MEL scripting prior (a language specific to Autodesk Maya), but this was a new ballgame since it's object oriented. I did some tutorials for Python with Maya back in September & October, so this is proof the time wasn't wasted. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My concentration and focus have been really flagging of late and I brought this up to my practitioner when I was being seen for PTSD. She started me on atomoxetine (Strattera) this past weekend because of its combination focus-assisting and antidepressant properties.

The other night I spent like six hours conlanging. I haven't done that in YEARS.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:59 amThe other night I spent like six hours conlanging. I haven't done that in YEARS.
Better conlanging through chemistry!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I made fixes to a number of significant multicore multitasking bugs w.r.t. zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico in the last couple days, which are now included in patch release 0.52.3.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My callus removal appointment went really well! I hadn't expected to get an appointment during what in Germany is usually called "the time between the years", but I got one. And I don't think it would have been smart to wait until next year; by then, some of the clefts in the calluses might have gotten to the point where they cut into the living tissue beneath them.
Civil War Bugle

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:28 pm I made fixes to a number of significant multicore multitasking bugs w.r.t. zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico in the last couple days, which are now included in patch release 0.52.3.
Oh yeah!
Raphael wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:18 am My callus removal appointment went really well! I hadn't expected to get an appointment during what in Germany is usually called "the time between the years", but I got one. And I don't think it would have been smart to wait until next year; by then, some of the clefts in the calluses might have gotten to the point where they cut into the living tissue beneath them.
Oh yeah!
Man in Space wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:59 am My concentration and focus have been really flagging of late and I brought this up to my practitioner when I was being seen for PTSD. She started me on atomoxetine (Strattera) this past weekend because of its combination focus-assisting and antidepressant properties.

The other night I spent like six hours conlanging. I haven't done that in YEARS.
I saw a doctor a while ago because of suspicions of ADHD and have been generally unhappy with the suggested treatment. I'm both glad you're getting this result and am prompted to try and fix my own issues better.

My own happy thing: I was floundering for a while and am now, as an adult in my mid 30s, back in school and it isn't going horribly.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Civil War Bugle wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:36 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:18 am My callus removal appointment went really well! I hadn't expected to get an appointment during what in Germany is usually called "the time between the years", but I got one. And I don't think it would have been smart to wait until next year; by then, some of the clefts in the calluses might have gotten to the point where they cut into the living tissue beneath them.
Oh yeah!
Thank you!

My own happy thing: I was floundering for a while and am now, as an adult in my mid 30s, back in school and it isn't going horribly.
Good luck!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Civil War Bugle wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:17 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:40 pmSpent my lunch hour marching with the graduate student workers' union at my university as they presented their petition for recognition to the provost.
Do you know what union they will be a part of, or whether it would be a purely local union?
The United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (abbreviated to United Electrical Workers or UE). Having not been present for any of the discussion, I couldn't tell you why they chose that affiliation as opposed to a competing one (such as affiliation with our union, SEIU), but I can say that the graduate student union at University of Chicago chose the same affiliation.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My old band (Amniote) isn’t breaking up after all! We want to continue as a trio.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth 0.53.0 is out, including Control-C (and Reboot, under zeptocom.js*) support for rebooting when the console is unusable (providing it isn't sufficiently wedged).

* zeptocom.js a web serial terminal designed for use with embedded Forths, and has its repository at GitHub as well. It is designed in particular for use with zeptoforth. It works with Chrome or Chromium, and has been tested with those on Linux and Windows, but has issues with FreeBSD. It may work with Edge or Opera, but I wouldn't bet on that.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Happy New Year, folks!
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Civil War Bugle

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:09 pm
Civil War Bugle wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:17 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:40 pmSpent my lunch hour marching with the graduate student workers' union at my university as they presented their petition for recognition to the provost.
Do you know what union they will be a part of, or whether it would be a purely local union?
The United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (abbreviated to United Electrical Workers or UE). Having not been present for any of the discussion, I couldn't tell you why they chose that affiliation as opposed to a competing one (such as affiliation with our union, SEIU), but I can say that the graduate student union at University of Chicago chose the same affiliation.
Excellent
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My Crohn’s appears to be in remission!

On a related but tangential note, my fasting and prep are over and I can eat again.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 am My Crohn’s appears to be in remission!

On a related but tangential note, my fasting and prep are over and I can eat again.
Good to hear!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Just finished writing the raw version of my book, Rock the Future: Progressive Rock gestern - heute - morgen. Now it comes to proofreading and refining the text, then I'll try to find a publisher.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages