Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Random Thread

Post by Raphael »

Shortly ago, I wanted to write down the time "6:16" (by hand, on paper) and instead ended up writing "6:616". Any innovative neurological theories about what might have been going on inside my brain when I did that?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I am older than Doja Cat.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:21 am Shortly ago, I wanted to write down the time "6:16" (by hand, on paper) and instead ended up writing "6:616". Any innovative neurological theories about what might have been going on inside my brain when I did that?
Wanting to be doubly sure that there is no doubt that Nero is to blame?
:D
666=616=NERO
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

How are our North American members coping with all the weather-related unpleasantness I hear so much about on the news?
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:06 am How are our North American members coping with all the weather-related unpleasantness I hear so much about on the news?
You know how in movies they say "c-c-c-c-c-c-c-colllllllld-d, sooooo cold" ? Pretty much that, usually with the wind chill, but sometimes without it.

I suspect that if it could snow here, it wouldn't be so cold; but no, we just get ice here. sometimes slush.

The weird thing is, when your thermostat is at 68 degrees, its freezing cold in your house by day, but boiling at night.

I hope everyone else is doing better than I am.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

keenir wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:45 am The weird thing is, when your thermostat is at 68 degrees, its freezing cold in your house by day, but boiling at night.

Nah. Thermostat is at 55, and the management company can't figure it out.

We have a space heater, so we can make one room at a time habitable. :(

Anyway, happy holidays, everyone!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:06 am How are our North American members coping with all the weather-related unpleasantness I hear so much about on the news?
keenir wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:45 am The weird thing is, when your thermostat is at 68 degrees, its freezing cold in your house by day, but boiling at night.

SE Michigan seems to get insulated from a lot of weather that hits surrounding regions. West MI gets a crap-ton of snow off Lake Michigan, regions north of here are next to Lake Huron, colder, and seem to get weather that comes over from the west side easier, and Indiana/Ohio tend to get a lot more weather coming from the west & south. As a result, we have been lucky to have no power outages (yay, I can work on prepositions/adverbs/directionals for Dwarven!) and while we can feel that it's colder upstairs, we are able to retreat to the basement where it's very comfortable. We usually set the thermostat to 70 during the day and turn it down to 60 at night.

zompist wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:13 am Anyway, happy holidays, everyone!
Indeed! Happy holidays, ZBB, and Merry Christmas to all those celebrating!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:48 am Indeed! Happy holidays, ZBB, and Merry Christmas to all those celebrating!
Seconded!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

[insert generic and nonspecific holiday wishes accompanied by a holiday card]
More: show
It's cold here in North Carolina, but at least bright and sunny and not snowed in. Some strain on the power grid, but it's not so horrendous (it seems), so we're managing and bundled up indoors for the day.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

It's cold in WI (and in Chicagoland, where I am visiting my sister's family), but not truly intolerably cold as there is little wind at the present. I honest don't get the "oh noes it is so cold", having dealt with significantly colder/windier weather in the past.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:01 pm It's cold in WI (and in Chicagoland, where I am visiting my sister's family), but not truly intolerably cold as there is little wind at the present. I honest don't get the "oh noes it is so cold", having dealt with significantly colder/windier weather in the past.
Partly its a matter of "I moved from Baltimore, MD because my family wanted to get away from snow and black ice and cold winters - and North Carolina's Triad seems to be trying to overcompensate in cold what it lacks in snow and other northern delights"...and partly its a matter of "its cold enough I can't sleep and I can't do anything" (writing pads are bundled away partly to keep warm, partly from having just returned from long visiting family)

I hope everyones' situations improves.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

You know, I've known for a while that there are all kinds of frauds and scams going on that are related to publishing in some way.

But a fraudulent operation specialized in publishing about manuscript-related philology? That's something I would never have predicted until now.

https://mssprovenance.blogspot.com/2022 ... -blog.html

https://mssprovenance.blogspot.com/2022 ... staff.html

https://mssprovenance.blogspot.com/2022 ... rt-ii.html

Mind. Blown. (And the fact that much of it unfolded over Christmas is kind of the icing on the cake. Like a special present for connoisseurs of unintentionally comical white collar crimes.)
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Raphael wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:21 am Shortly ago, I wanted to write down the time "6:16" (by hand, on paper) and instead ended up writing "6:616". Any innovative neurological theories about what might have been going on inside my brain when I did that?
I doubt it's innovative, but I suspect the initial syllable of '16' separated itself by duplication and generated the duplicate '6', reinforced by your memory of having just written '6'. I suspect there are a lot of possible actions that never come to fruition. Incidentally, I'm working off a spoken rendering such as 'six sixteen'; I presume your German vocalisation is sufficiently similar.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

TIL that the screenwriter for The Sting, David S. Ward, was also one of the screenwriters for Sleepless in Seattle. I would never have guessed that.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Minor Random: It appears as though I now have an Erdős number of 4, which is quite low and quite surprising.
The reason for this is that my Master's supervisor, with whom I have three publications, quite recently published with someone with an Erdős number of 2, thus making his now 3.
aka vampireshark
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm Minor Random: It appears as though I now have an Erdős number of 4, which is quite low and quite surprising.
The reason for this is that my Master's supervisor, with whom I have three publications, quite recently published with someone with an Erdős number of 2, thus making his now 3.
Congrats!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 pm Minor Random: It appears as though I now have an Erdős number of 4, which is quite low and quite surprising.
Ooh! Can I publish a paper with you?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

zompist wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:43 pm
I'm a liquid crystal physicist, so not sure how much overlap there'd be in our fields of interest, but if there is, then sure. :)
aka vampireshark
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:18 pm
zompist wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:43 pm
I'm a liquid crystal physicist, so not sure how much overlap there'd be in our fields of interest, but if there is, then sure. :)
I do spectroscopy, so perhaps I could co-publish with you, then me and zompist could do something on linguistics… an Erdős number of 6 isn’t as good as 5, but it’s certainly something!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:21 pm I do spectroscopy, so perhaps I could co-publish with you, then me and zompist could do something on linguistics… an Erdős number of 6 isn’t as good as 5, but it’s certainly something!
Oh sure, any non-infinite value would be cool. Then I'd just have to participate in a film to start working on that Bacon number.