What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
Creyeditor

Re: What do you call ...

Post by Creyeditor »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:24 pm Do you have a special name for the day after Christmas? And does it vary depending on whether this is a legal/bank holiday or not?
2. Weihnachtsfeiertag in German. Not a joke, I actually use this frequently and I have no shorter version.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Creyeditor wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:56 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:24 pm Do you have a special name for the day after Christmas? And does it vary depending on whether this is a legal/bank holiday or not?
2. Weihnachtsfeiertag in German. Not a joke, I actually use this frequently and I have no shorter version.
Simply 2. Weihnachtstag for me. Including "feier" sounds very formal to me. Actually a public holiday here.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

"Boxing Day", also aware of "St. Stephen's Day". In the UK, if the 26th is a Saturday or Sunday there is a replacement Bank Holiday on the 27th or 28th, and in these years some people refer to that as "Boxing Day" instead, but to me it always means the 26th.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

You have an app on your phone. You use it to summon a car and driver to take you a short distance for a fee. What do you call this?

A friend of mine says "cab" whether it's an actual taxicab or rideshare like Uber or Lyft (the two biggest firms here in North America). I tend to say "Lyft" (because that's the only app I have on my phone) or "rideshare". The latter caused confusion recently, however, when I ended up taking a shared Lyft ride and the other rider mentioned that this was his first time taking a "rideshare" in several years. I was surprised, but then the discussion revealed that he was using "rideshare" to refer specifically to a shared ride and not the service in general.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I think I would call it an Uber.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I've never done that so far, but I guess I would use the name of the specific app in question. (Related, I might be the last person on Earth who doesn't use "to google" as a brand generic term for "to search on the web". When I've used a different search engine, I'll say "I did a web search".)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

You have a speaker from the northern part of Wales (Conwy, say). He speaks with the distinctive accent of that region. You say he has:

(a) a North Wales accent
(b) a Northern Wales accent
(c) a Northern Welsh accent
(d) a North Welsh accent
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

a, b, and c, all seem fine to me (though I'd probably go with a)), but d) sounds somehow wrong.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

To me, "North Welsh" implies a formal split between two languages or dialects, like "North Germanic," rather than a description of a type of Welsh. The other three are all correct, but A and C are the most natural for me.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

If one is speaking about Welsh varieties, D) to me, as mentioned, would indicate a clear delineation between it and other varieties of Welsh, whereas C) does not. If one is speaking about Welsh English varieties, A) to me would similarly indicate a clear delineation between it and other varieties of Welsh English, whereas B) does not. Note that I would not use A) or B) to refer to Welsh varieties, or C) or D) to refer to Welsh English varieties. Overall, I would tend to use B) and C) to refer to Welsh English and Welsh varieties respectively.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Is that person from Northern Wales speaking English or Welsh? If he speaks English, it's a Northern Wales accent. If he speaks Welsh, it's a Northern Welsh accent. IMHO, of course.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

As others have said (d) feels off.

So, for me, does (b), but that's just because "Northern Wales" on its own is a bit off; it's always "North Wales". On the other hand (c) is OK, at least if we're talking about a northern accent of Welsh as opposed to a North Wales accent of English.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

What do you call ways of walking? E.g., one way has one's feet next to each other like when standing normally, and each step brings one foot straight forward, so after two steps, one is standing again. Another way sort of takes the phrase "put one foot in front of the other" literally, which results in a similar result, but any (usually) 1hz swaying side-to-side is minimal, if present, because one's feet travel on the same line instead of parallel lines.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Darren

Post by Darren »

WarpedWartWars wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 am What do you call ways of walking? E.g., one way has one's feet next to each other like when standing normally, and each step brings one foot straight forward, so after two steps, one is standing again. Another way sort of takes the phrase "put one foot in front of the other" literally, which results in a similar result, but any (usually) 1hz swaying side-to-side is minimal, if present, because one's feet travel on the same line instead of parallel lines.
I'd call it your gait.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Darren wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:45 am
WarpedWartWars wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 am What do you call ways of walking? E.g., one way has one's feet next to each other like when standing normally, and each step brings one foot straight forward, so after two steps, one is standing again. Another way sort of takes the phrase "put one foot in front of the other" literally, which results in a similar result, but any (usually) 1hz swaying side-to-side is minimal, if present, because one's feet travel on the same line instead of parallel lines.
I'd call it your gait.
So would I.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Obligatory reference to the classics.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Darren wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:45 am I'd call it your gait.
bradrn wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:14 am So would I.
Thanks!
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

What do you call the point where a river stream turns into a river delta? (Cairo is near an example of what I'm trying to get at, if it helps.)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

If no name presents itself, I propose calling it the Memphis, Memphiton, or Memphitic Point of the river, since there are two rivers with large cities of that name at this exact point.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I think I have heard the term root for this, but I am not sure.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages