What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
bradrn

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by bradrn »

keenir wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:01 am
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:25 am
keenir wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:22 am

In this instance, I only mined it for the "may" vs "must" distinction, for the Conlang Sample Text (relay) at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1296
Well, in that case, I’m just impressed you got anything out of it at all. As usual for Wikipedia’s linguistics articles, the paragraph in question is muddled enough that I’m not sure I could understand it without prior knowledge.
To be fair, all I got out of it, was from a surface reading: that may and must were two of the options available to those who follow one of two subgroups of modality (epistemic vs deontic)...and read only a paragraph or two further, to see if there were other examples to be had.
‘Those who doesn’t sound quite correct; it’s more that languages can express a bunch of different types of modality, and we call two of them ‘epistemic’ and ‘deontic’. The former is about the truth status of propositions, and the latter is about having permission to do something.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
xxx

Post by xxx »

keenir wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:57 pm
xxx wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:37 pm words to travel the world...
umm...can i ask what that means? (?what do the signs mean, that is)
(vehicle for transporting people...)
car...
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

I just wrote the English translation of a letter from one king to another, though I haven't written much of the source conlang yet (just "gyterendr", one of the characters in the script; "gyt", translation: "fox", plural "gytr"; and a couple names, used in the letter):
To Your Highness Nun̄dr, King of the Foxes:

I must confess your words have quite bothered me. A tablet with no words being written upon by seemingly nothing? A door being closed and locked, but the next morning found open? Eerie music playing with nary an instrument in sight? It all baffles and worries me to no end.

However, that is not the purpose of this letter. I write to you this day, at this godforsaken hour, to ask about a prophecy I have just received. I shall write it out in full:

At now, the place of foxes is in peace
But not for long, as they will crumble
By ghosts they come, by ghosts they pass
But they'll come back, as ever they will
Under a name so different, being the furries
And when they come, not all will rejoice

Have you any idea what it may mean? It seems ominous at the least, saying 'they will crumble' and 'by ghosts they come, by ghosts they pass'. And then there is the last line, 'And when they come, not all will rejoice'.

With gratitude for knowing thee,
King Deytricven of the Humans
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
xxx

Post by xxx »

Last edited by xxx on Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

xxx wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:30 am Image
WOT DAT? 😲
xxx wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:30 am let our languages become real...
He qol iğğiwuš wennuuŋ.
SBJV exist DEF(e)=language ESS-DOM.POSS-1+2

The main thing I miss about the old forum is translation challenges. With two conlang boards, Conlangery & Conworlds and C&C Quickies, there was a place for everything. I’d love to put TCs in Conlangery here, but would people be bothered if it got cluttered up with TC threads? The idea of one single thread for all of them is pretty bad IMO.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Imralu wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:46 am The main thing I miss about the old forum is translation challenges. With two conlang boards, Conlangery & Conworlds and C&C Quickies, there was a place for everything. I’d love to put TCs in Conlangery here, but would people be bothered if it got cluttered up with TC threads? The idea of one single thread for all of them is pretty bad IMO.
I don’t see a problem with one single thread for translation challenges. Since this forum is less active than the old one (and doesn’t require as much pruning), I feel that a separate ‘C&C Quickies’ subforum would be somewhat pointless.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

I have come up with a new case system for Hussuite:
Nominative: -0 (unmarked)
Accusstive: -ma
Dative: -ša
Genitive: -li
The plural marker is -aḡ /aq/ and is placed after the case ending.

Example: irdi [iɾ.ti] "king"
NOM: irdi / irdiaḡ
ACC: irdima / irdimāḡ
DAT: irdiša / irdišāḡ
GEN: irdili / irdiliaḡ
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:19 amI don’t see a problem with one single thread for translation challenges. Since this forum is less active than the old one (and doesn’t require as much pruning), I feel that a separate ‘C&C Quickies’ subforum would be somewhat pointless.
Harder to search through to find all the individual TCs posted within it than just looking for threads with “TC” in the title. *shrug*
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Last of the series of banknotes.
More: show
Approximate value of US$135 / €123 / £105.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Pretty.
The architecture looks more Dutch or Belgian than something I would associate with a country called "Pearl Island" :-)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:00 am Pretty.
The architecture looks more Dutch or Belgian than something I would associate with a country called "Pearl Island" :-)
I mean, colonialism? There's also quite a bit of Dutch Caribbean, for example... and, indeed, the real life location for this picture is in The Hague ('s-Gravenhage), so good eye. :P
aka vampireshark
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Took long enough, but did a rewrite of a short intro to a script for a conlang of mine.
More: show
aka vampireshark
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:34 pm Took long enough, but did a rewrite of a short intro to a script for a conlang of mine.
Nice!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:16 pm
doctor shark wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:34 pm Took long enough, but did a rewrite of a short intro to a script for a conlang of mine.
Nice!
Concurred! Reminds me of Thai and also a bit of Hangul.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Looks great!
xxx

Post by xxx »

its hook shapes remind me of the Angelic Script, by Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa...
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Thanks!
WeepingElf wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:54 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:16 pm
Nice!
Concurred! Reminds me of Thai and also a bit of Hangul.
It's actually, indeed, heavily inspired by those two (and I think a bit also from Burmese and Hebrew, but I designed the first version of this script close to 13 years ago!), but especially the featural nature of Hangeul.
xxx wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:49 pm its hook shapes remind me of the Angelic Script, by Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa...
Completely coincidental.
aka vampireshark
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

This is great! I like the use of miniature n, j, w as finals. What's the main writing implement, would you say? Most writing implements create fairly uniform thicknesses, so I wonder if writers would modify the finals' shapes slightly to preserve their legibility.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Just updated my conlang pages - was overdue after about one and a half year! Sorry, no news about my current conlangs, but one obsolete conlang, an essay on why I expect oligosynthesis to fail and a few links to various conlang classics have been added. Enjoy!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

quinterbeck wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:49 am
This is great! I like the use of miniature n, j, w as finals. What's the main writing implement, would you say? Most writing implements create fairly uniform thicknesses, so I wonder if writers would modify the finals' shapes slightly to preserve their legibility.
Thanks! I'd imagine mostly the use of brushes and brush pens traditionally, where there can be some thickness control in terms of line width and the like. That said, I do need to work a bit more on the handwritten forms (I have things bubbling, but nothing too concrete), but there of course would be some abbreviations and simplifications when writing with a pen.
aka vampireshark