Re: Venting thread

Post by masako »

Ballistic?

Hahaha, right.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I haven't read because no one's contacted me, and I don't read the Conlang Fluency thread. I've read the last few pages now.

From what I see, the CFT is for people to practice and develop their conlangs, right? Readers can get something from the glosses, but is that the purpose? If people want to explain how their conlangs work, they can write a grammar.

I kind of get masako's annoyance, in that it almost looks like xxx doesn't really have a conlang but is pretending he does. Or that he doesn't know what glosses are. Still, that's kind of his loss rather than everyone else's, no? If the purpose is to practice, and he's writing poetry instead, that doesn't really harm anyone else.
xxx

Post by xxx »

f«»g­«R
(this word necessarily heard...)
amen...
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I don't enjoy reading xxx's posts for much the same reasons as you masako, but this kind of vitriol really isn't warranted.
keenir

Post by keenir »

So far as I can see, xxx's conlang is an artlang, designed to be as flowery in translation as possible; thats fine, thats great. Thats also not any of the problems that any of us encounter when we try to interact with xxx.

Now, I know that I certainly use phrases that strike others as "what was that?"...and when I'm asked about said phrases, I explain to the best of my ability - and sometimes I don't explain very well, I know and admit to that. But when xxx is asked for an explanation, a gloss, or I think we once requested a lexicon of any sort (either for the conlang or for the conscript)...the most explanation we get is that it is a logograph and it is for xxx's journaling.

And journaling is great. I think at least half the people on either of the _BBs use journals, some in their conlang, some in their L1 or L2. But when the rest of us share part of our journal on one of the boards, we use glosses, OR we say "I can't translate that - its too private". (few if any of us denote "this is from my journal" either with those words, a quotation box, an html box, or anything else - xxx isn't the only one guilty of that). xxx just posts, and we don't know what is part of xxx taking part in the conversation, and what is an excerpt from xxx's journal.
keenir

Post by keenir »

xxx wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:40 amon the fluency conlang thread it's interesting to have borderline discussions
to test the expressive capacities of one's language...
I think the problem is exactly that: they are literally borderline discussions because half the time, its very very difficult to understand your posts.
I positively take my share in the reaction of some,
it's both my bias to keep my conlang exotic,
and my willingness to try unconventional angles in approaching it...
Angles are fine -- but if you're asked about an angle, isn't it nice to give an answer that is useable by everyone involved? (or is that more of math class?)
I like the opposition between emic and ethic,
but in conlanging the ethical side can only be a facade,
The same is true of books -- do you refuse to read books for that reason?

EDIT:
xxx wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:47 am My apologies, but my English is pretty poor
Given your translations, I have a hard time believing that.
and I frequently slip in Gallicisms,
Thats not a bad thing; and I'd wager you're far from alone in being from that part of the world.

xxx wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:29 amI'm very surprised that members of a constructed-language forum
have such a hard time with my ideographic Extended Latin,
And why are you surprised? Every idiograph/logograph of yours that I can remember seeing, is completely different. And when we ask for clarification, you don't.
I don't think I've ever failed to answer a question,
even if I don't want people to learn my conlang...
I don't think I'm the only one who hasn't given a monograph of his conlang here,
Nobody is asking you for a monograph (though I don't think anyone would turn one down)....we're asking for a gloss, or an intro to your script at least.
xxx

Post by xxx »

keenir wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:10 pm they are literally borderline discussions because half the time, its very very difficult to understand your posts.
borderline subjects (linguistics, conlanging, arguing,...) are difficult and interesting to have in conlang,
the result in CFT is... what it is...
Angles are fine -- but if you're asked about an angle, isn't it nice to give an answer that is useable by everyone involved? (or is that more of math class?)
on CFT I try to answer... in 3SDL...
and yes math language is also a deductive language difficult to understand without lessons,
I found it funny to borrow its look in my latest mode......
I like the opposition between emic and ethic,
but in conlanging the ethical side can only be a facade,
The same is true of books -- do you refuse to read books for that reason?
I avoid to read any linguistics books before conlanging, it's a short circuit of thought to build from linguistic descriptions of languages rather than describe language with linguistics after its building...
Every idiograph/logograph of yours that I can remember seeing, is completely different.
yes, I try to keep the exoticism, and first of all for myself, so I use different modes,
from phono transcription in Latin script, to extended Latin script for logogram transcription...
except for natural logograms (sometimes seen in my pictures with text) none is directly legible by me...
and you've understood that I have no intention of making anyone learn it...
Nobody is asking you for a monograph (though I don't think anyone would turn one down)....we're asking for a gloss, or an intro to your script at least.
I'll try to make a thread elswhere...
Last edited by xxx on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

5/????
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I wish it was possible to mute threads so I don't ever have to know that people are posting there
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

When I turned 18 I didn't feel like an adult, and even now at 26 I still don't feel like an adult. Adult expectations and responsibilities but little or none of the adult readiness to tackle them. I feel like I'm an actual manchild.

No job, no car, no friends nor lovers.

I done fucked up this year taking on $CAD 18000 in tuition fees and residence dorm rent with no means to pay for it this year. Normally I get funding from OSAP and it covers everything, but they restricted me this year because of bad grades. I still applied for courses and rented the dorm this year because I had it in my head I could just take it on and pay it next year when I get OSAP again (the way it was written regarding past due accounts was that it simply meant you couldn't get your diploma until you paid everything off). But it isn't the case. No, if I don't make some kind of payment then they'll deregister my courses and stop me from registering next year.
They'll want 8000 per semester by the end of each semester or 2000 per month. I only have 1200 in my bank. None of my family can pay it either. But I can't drop out either or I'll have nowhere to live in time.

Also I haven't been able to land a job. Though, I'm deathly terrified of having a job.

I really done it now...
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I was feeling better. I had short-circuited the episode…and then today, it crashed down on me like a ton of bricks.

My birthday is tomorrow. I’m to be 32.

I’m not very happy this year.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Happy birthday, Man in Space!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Personally I have elected to have an ongoing midlife crisis as I do not know when I will die. This is however overshadowed by my ongoing and lifelong existential crisis.
A cat and a linguist.
xxx

Post by xxx »

to put things into perspective,
I use a countdown in my language,
which has adopted an exotic base,
and a calendar that is just as exotic...
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

More sickness than person by today.
Halian

Post by Halian »

I spilled instant rāmen on my leg yesterday and burned it. :( Thankfully the burn was mild, and I just had to put some ice on it.
Hâlian the Protogen
xxx

Post by xxx »

Halian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 am rāmen
what an amazing spelling...
malloc

Post by malloc »

xxx wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:39 pm
Halian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 am rāmen
what an amazing spelling...
That comes from the original Japanese which has long /a:/ in the first syllable.

My earbuds are almost dead. More specifically something is wrong with the cord such that one of them is dead unless I bend the cord where it attaches to the jack just right. It would undoubtedly make sense to buy new ones, but this or something like it always happens eventually and I hate spending money on something that breaks after only several months.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
xxx

Post by xxx »

strange to use a diacritic, a macron,
which doesn't exist in English,
to transcribe a language that doesn't use it either.....

malloc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:07 pm My earbuds are almost dead. More specifically something is wrong with the cord such that one of them is dead unless I bend the cord where it attaches to the jack just right. It would undoubtedly make sense to buy new ones, but this or something like it always happens eventually and I hate spending money on something that breaks after only several months.
it's time for craftwork...
Last edited by xxx on Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
keenir

Post by keenir »

xxx wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:13 amstrange to use a diacritic, a macron,
which doesn't exist in English,
to transcribe a language that doesn't use it either.....
Are you sure about that? Look at all the horizontal lines in the Japanese scripts. (oh wait, I forgot that the Roman Alphabet is one of those scripts used by the Japanese language, so yes, the macron does exist in written Japanese)