Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Moose-tache

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by Moose-tache »

(two US soldiers in 19th century gear are hunkered down behind a wooden palisade)

"Corporal, you told me the Mikihahaka have no word for war!"

"They don't general!" (an arrow narrowly misses the corporal's head) "I swear, they don't!"

A messenger on horseback rushes through a side gate, and staggers up to the general despite several arrow wounds.

"General! The Mikihahaka... They've learned... to paraphrase!" (he dies)

Coming to theaters this summer...

Make Big Shoot Shoot Fight
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
äreo

Post by äreo »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:31 pm (two US soldiers in 19th century gear are hunkered down behind a wooden palisade)

"Corporal, you told me the Mikihahaka have no word for war!"

"They don't general!" (an arrow narrowly misses the corporal's head) "I swear, they don't!"

A messenger on horseback rushes through a side gate, and staggers up to the general despite several arrow wounds.

"General! The Mikihahaka... They've learned... to paraphrase!" (he dies)

Coming to theaters this summer...

Make Big Shoot Shoot Fight
lol
äreo

Post by äreo »

Qwynegold wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:46 am I've decided to restructure an old dictionary. Different glosses for the same entry are separated by semicolon, and I will not change that because it would be a lot of work. But I don't know how to separate explanations from glosses. I have three suggestions. Which do you think looks best?
Personally I'd go with your current formatting or Alternative 1.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

äreo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:40 pmPersonally I'd go with your current formatting or Alternative 1.
The current, really? I think it's bad because if you have a comment about the meaning of a gloss and some grammatical information, they both have to go in the same parentheses, eg. wear (headgear; pol. stem). And when there are several glosses, it's ambiguous whether the parenthetic information applies to all of the glosses or just the last one.

Hmm, I guess alternative 1 is good because the dash is a visually clear separator.

Thanks for the feedback!
äreo

Post by äreo »

Qwynegold wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:23 am
äreo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:40 pmPersonally I'd go with your current formatting or Alternative 1.
The current, really? I think it's bad because if you have a comment about the meaning of a gloss and some grammatical information, they both have to go in the same parentheses, eg. wear (headgear; pol. stem). And when there are several glosses, it's ambiguous whether the parenthetic information applies to all of the glosses or just the last one.

Hmm, I guess alternative 1 is good because the dash is a visually clear separator.

Thanks for the feedback!
Happy to help. I resolved the unclear parentheses problem in my dictionary by putting them before all the glosses they applied to, with glosses they didn't apply to coming before them. This was really just an issue for lexicalized plurals, so I would list singular meanings first, then "(plural)" followed by the plural meaning. For example:

lís | sight, face, (pl.) eyes
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Ah, that's a clever way. I tested that too, but it didn't work so well for my purposes.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just posted this on Mastodon; it probably won't tell experienced conlangers anything new, but newbies might take something useful from it:
To illustrate how different, even closely related, languages can express similar things in different ways, here are three common German words *literally* translated into English:

Kühlschrank - "cool/cooling cupboard/wardrobe/cabinet" - fridge

Seehund - "sea dog" - common harbor seal

Baumwolle - "tree wool" - cotton
jal

Post by jal »

Raphael wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:14 pmKühlschrank - "cool/cooling cupboard/wardrobe/cabinet" - fridge
Of course, the word originated when it was actually a cooling cupboard (with blocks of ice in it), before it was an electrical appliance.

JAL
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

jal wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:36 am
Raphael wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:14 pmKühlschrank - "cool/cooling cupboard/wardrobe/cabinet" - fridge
Of course, the word originated when it was actually a cooling cupboard (with blocks of ice in it), before it was an electrical appliance.

JAL
Thank you, good to know!
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

If you were reading a speculative fiction story, and came upon the noun <chonday> how would you pronounce it in your head and what would be your immediate associations or thoughts about it, just from spelling. What would be different if the word was <tonday> instead?

If you're curious, I'm thinking of using one of those for "a ten day period" as a rough equivalent of a week.
A cat and a linguist.
äreo

Post by äreo »

linguistcat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:48 pm If you were reading a speculative fiction story, and came upon the noun <chonday> how would you pronounce it in your head and what would be your immediate associations or thoughts about it, just from spelling. What would be different if the word was <tonday> instead?

If you're curious, I'm thinking of using one of those for "a ten day period" as a rough equivalent of a week.
They'd both end in /ɒndeɪ/ and I think the latter would more quickly connect to "day" in my head.

"tennight" like "sennight" and "fortnight" might be worth considering too.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

linguistcat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:48 pm If you were reading a speculative fiction story, and came upon the noun <chonday> how would you pronounce it in your head and what would be your immediate associations or thoughts about it, just from spelling. What would be different if the word was <tonday> instead?

Probably /ˈt͡ʃɒndæ͡i/ for the former, and either /ˈtɒndæ͡i/ or /ˈtʌndæ͡i/ for the latter. (Of course, this relies on me recognising them as intended to be English words.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:10 pm Probably /ˈt͡ʃɒndæ͡i/ for the former, and either /ˈtɒndæ͡i/ or /ˈtʌndæ͡i/ for the latter. (Of course, this relies on me recognising them as intended to be English words.)
I didn't think about it but I would probably also guess closer to /ˈtʌndæ͡i/ myself for the second. Would changing the spelling to <taunday> get it closer. If not I might go with tennight, as äreo suggested.
A cat and a linguist.
jal

Post by jal »

linguistcat wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:48 pmIf you were reading a speculative fiction story, and came upon the noun <chonday> how would you pronounce it in your head and what would be your immediate associations or thoughts about it, just from spelling. What would be different if the word was <tonday> instead?
"chonday" probably rhyming with "John day", while "tonday" more likely with STRUT (like "monday").
The main problem with that would be, for me, that the "day" part would make it sound like it's a specific day. If not a day of the week, then perhaps some holiday.

JAL
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

You could call it "a ten of days."

(or my favorite: a "daycade")
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
jal

Post by jal »

Another objection is that "chon" or "ton" doesn't seem to mean anything, while "day" does. That also makes it difficult to parse. I'd stick to more familiar language. E.g. "tenfold", or "halfscore", or "tennight".

JAL
salem

Post by salem »

You could instead model the word off of German Jahrhundert 'century' and its cognates, including rare English yearhundred, and call your ten-day weeks daytens (probably pronounced more like Dayton(, Ohio) than like uncompounded day ten). Otherwise I'd also endorse tennight.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

After staring at paradigm tables for some time, I think I’ve finally found a reasonable structure to use for verb stem alternations in Eŋes. To illustrate by example:

Basic stemfay ‘go up’wal ‘go’tuʔf ‘accompany’winas ‘touch’
-es stem (iterative)wles ‘walk’wines ‘tap, knock’
-e stem (semelfactive / interrupted / diminutive)wle ‘stroll’wine ‘brush against’
-oŋ stem (resulting state / complete)foyŋ ‘be high’wloŋ ‘having walked’
-en stem (intensive)wlen ‘run’tuʔn ‘be friends with’winen ‘indent’
-em stem (inchoative)faym ‘rise’

So, the stem formation isn’t entirely regular, and the meaning is lexically determined, and not every verb can take every stem form… but the pattern is pretty clear, all the same.

Zju

Post by Zju »

Does it feature ablaut, what with fay ~ foyŋ?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Zju wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:32 pm Does it feature ablaut, what with fay ~ foyŋ?
Sort of… but it’s probably easier to think of it as being like a biconsonantal system. (Compare it to the next column along, walwloŋ… that’s clearly not ablaut!)