Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Moose-tache

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by Moose-tache »

What is a consonantal root system but ablaut on steroids?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:04 am What is a consonantal root system but ablaut on steroids?
Yeah, I guess that’s fair. (And on reflection, I suspect I was confusing ‘ablaut’ with ‘umlaut’.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:55 am Another objection is that "chon" or "ton" doesn't seem to mean anything, while "day" does. That also makes it difficult to parse. I'd stick to more familiar language. E.g. "tenfold", or "halfscore", or "tennight".
Agreed. I would go with "tenday" myself.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:41 pm
jal wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:55 am Another objection is that "chon" or "ton" doesn't seem to mean anything, while "day" does. That also makes it difficult to parse. I'd stick to more familiar language. E.g. "tenfold", or "halfscore", or "tennight".
I don't really want it to be that transparent though. I looked up where <week> came from and it meant week for a pretty long stretch of its existence, but originally came from Proto-Germanic *wikǭ meaning “turn, succession, change, week” (according to wiktionary at least). Or *weyg- *weyk- (“to bend, wind, turn, yield”) in PIE if we want it having no meaning having to do with time directly. In either case I wouldn't have known week came from those meanings if I hadn't looked it up. I also don't want to name the ten day period a week, but I might be calling a rabbit a smearp with that one.
A cat and a linguist.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

linguistcat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:14 pm
Travis B. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:41 pm
I don't really want it to be that transparent though. I looked up where <week> came from and it meant week for a pretty long stretch of its existence, but originally came from Proto-Germanic *wikǭ meaning “turn, succession, change, week” (according to wiktionary at least). Or *weyg- *weyk- (“to bend, wind, turn, yield”) in PIE if we want it having no meaning having to do with time directly. In either case I wouldn't have known week came from those meanings if I hadn't looked it up. I also don't want to name the ten day period a week, but I might be calling a rabbit a smearp with that one.
I wonder if Old English or West Germanic were to have a word like tīendæġ or tehundag if it would end up looking like tenday by the time it went through all the sound changes or end up less transparent. Also a decade can apparently also refer to a period of 10 days, though people would easily confuse it with a decade of years.
jal

Post by jal »

linguistcat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:14 pmI don't really want it to be that transparent though.
Your prerogative of course, but in that case anything goes.

JAL
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

When I decide to incorporate syncretism that isn't motivated by sound change, how do I decide what direction the merge occurs? Nominative-Accusative syncretism in animates is rather straightforward; the nominative takes the form of the accusative because inanimates are not commonly agents or thinking experiencers of actions so the form is less common.

But if I want to merge the ablative with the instrumental, or the accusative and the instrumental, which takes what form? Does the ablative take the instrumental form or does the instrumental take the ablative form? Likewise for the accusative and instrumental. Is it completely arbitrary? And is grammatical number factor? Or is that also arbitrary?
jal

Post by jal »

Ahzoh wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:12 pmWhen I decide to incorporate syncretism that isn't motivated by sound change, how do I decide what direction the merge occurs?
Without any knowledge about natlangs that did things like this, I'd say it heavily depends on the frequency of use of these cases, and the grammar rules for using them. Hell, if your conculture is mad about sports, and the object of "throw" gets the ablative, their frequency of use may be so high in everyday speech, that these objects (ball, spear, whatever) may also get the ablative in other uses, replacing, for those nouns, the accusative and/or instrumental. This may bring about a change in other objects too, until all objects get these cases, always.

Less far-fetched, if the instrumental is used with certain prepositions, but then the most usewd prepositions erode are fall out of use because the instrumental already indicates whatever the preposition did ("with", "using" etc.), the instrumental may be reanalyzed as an accusative.

So, before asking the question "how do I merge", take a good look at the grammatical constructions, the use of the cases, the possible semantic changes that could make, etc.

JAL
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

I think I might play around with Vrkhazhian having an extremely simple split-ergative system where pronouns are accusative and noun are ergative. like so:

Pronouns
-m (nominative)
-s (accusative)

Full Nouns
-s (absolutive)
-n (animate ergative-instrumental)
-n/-r (inanimate instrumental)

ān-am (1cs-NOM)
nāy-as (1cs-ACC)
rābi-s (man-ABS.SG)
rābi-n (man-ERG.SG)

It would at least solve the issue of how one of the gods' names is Mamu and would be rendered in morphology as Mamû-m (Mamu-NOM), which in my abjad would be rendered MM(W)M which looks very stupid. And I also get to keep the first-person pronouns ānam and ādam morphologically consistent.

And if the ergative is merged with the instrumental, then I can do fun things like I-NOM Nardi-ABS cow-ERG/INS sacrifice-DAT.APPL "I sacrificed a cow to Nardi" and Nardi-ERG/INS wheat-ERG/ABS fields-INS grow-INS.APPL "Nardi made the fields grow wheat"
Attachments
ergativesystem.png
ergativesystem.png (15.1 KiB) Viewed 18902 times
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

That makes sense to me, and it is interestingly different from the Early PIE/Hittite-like system you have pondered before.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:59 pm That makes sense to me, and it is interestingly different from the Early PIE/Hittite-like system you have pondered before.
I had before postulated that an ancestor language had a tripartite alignment, involving the suffixes -m, -s, and -n, which would in Vrkhazhian manifest in animates having nominative -s and accusative -n while inanimates would have direct (both nom and acc) -m. But then opted for nominative -m, accusative -s, and instrumental -n.

Though now I can still say the ancestor was tripartite that evolved into a split-erg system; intransitive subject -m becomes nominative -m, transitive agent -n becomes ergative -n, and object-patient -s becomes either accusative -s or absolutive -s.

Unrelatedly, I'm not sure if vocative plural should be syncretic with ergative plural or with absolutive plural
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Does the thing shown in the image below make sense? Or would it make more sense for stative/dynamic transitive verbs to have nominative marking, stative intransitive verbs to have accusative/absolutive marking, and dynamic intransitive verbs to have ergative marking?
Attachments
marking.png
marking.png (8.17 KiB) Viewed 18780 times
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

This indeed makes sense to me. No, it is, as bradrn has said, the wrong way round (I didn't notice that, sorry).
Last edited by WeepingElf on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
jal

Post by jal »

The only remark I have is that I haven't yet heard of "stative transitive" verbs, as states typically don't involve direct objects. What kind of verbs are these that they warrant a special category?

JAL
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

jal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:40 am The only remark I have is that I haven't yet heard of "stative transitive" verbs, as states typically don't involve direct objects. What kind of verbs are these that they warrant a special category?

JAL
Verbs that involve causing objects directly or indirectly to be placed in states; e.g. become, teach, name, causatives of stative intransitive verbs, have, etc.
Last edited by Ahzoh on Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:40 am The only remark I have is that I haven't yet heard of "stative transitive" verbs, as states typically don't involve direct objects. What kind of verbs are these that they warrant a special category?
One example from English would be "love", which is normally counted as stative verb in the versions of English grammar that use the concept and transitive at the same time.
@Ahzoh: that's not how "stative" is normally used...
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:50 am @Ahzoh: that's not how "stative" is normally used...
I dunno how they're normally used, I'm pretty sure they're just verbs that involve states, conditions or mental stuff, like red, cold, happy, sick, know, believe, understand, etc.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Ahzoh wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:54 am
hwhatting wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:50 am @Ahzoh: that's not how "stative" is normally used...
I dunno how they're normally used, I'm pretty sure they're just verbs that involve states, conditions or mental stuff, like red, cold, happy, sick, know, believe, understand, etc.
In principle, yes, but "stative" is normally used for verbs / verb categories that express a state as existing, while changing states is dynamic. So e.g., "know" -> stative, "teach / learn / inform" -> dynamic.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 am
Ahzoh wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:54 am
In principle, yes, but "stative" is normally used for verbs / verb categories that express a state as existing, while changing states is dynamic. So e.g., "know" -> stative, "teach / learn / inform" -> dynamic.
Hmm, so causatives are always dynamic...
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ahzoh wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:48 pm Does the thing shown in the image below make sense? Or would it make more sense for stative/dynamic transitive verbs to have nominative marking, stative intransitive verbs to have accusative/absolutive marking, and dynamic intransitive verbs to have ergative marking?

The terminology here is really weird. An ergative case is defined as one which marks A but not S, so it makes no sense to have an ergative case which is consistently used for both S and A. Sure, many natlangs have a so-called ‘ergative’ which is also used for some S arguments, but generally it’s grammatical only for a limited subset of them.

Besides, even ignoring that, this feels the wrong way round to me. Active/dynamic verbs generally group S with the more agentive argument, which is A, giving nominative–accusative alignment. Similarly stative verbs naturally group S with the less agentive argument, namely O, giving ergative–absolutive alignment.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)