English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Raphael

Re: English questions

Post by Raphael »

Is there a connection between the English word "buffoon" and the great, but often sadly mistaken, French scientist Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:22 pm Is there a connection between the English word "buffoon" and the great, but often sadly mistaken, French scientist Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon?
No, I don't think so. The English word is a loan from French bouffon, I guess.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:11 pm
Raphael wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:22 pm Is there a connection between the English word "buffoon" and the great, but often sadly mistaken, French scientist Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon?
No, I don't think so. The English word is a loan from French bouffon, I guess.
Wikipedia claims that the French town Buffon (source of the noble title) "takes its name from 'bis fon' which means two fountains". I'd take that with a carload of salt, but I couldn't find any alternative explanations.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Is there an English word for "pissup" where you're not expected to bleep it out in supposedly "family-friendly" contexts?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:56 am Is there an English word for "pissup" where you're not expected to bleep it out in supposedly "family-friendly" contexts?
Yes, the word “pissup” itself. It does not seem to be considered coarse up here.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Raphael wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:56 am Is there an English word for "pissup" where you're not expected to bleep it out in supposedly "family-friendly" contexts?
Booze-up.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Do I get this right that "baron" is, in some contexts, kind of the prototypical English language noble title? That is, I've got the impression that, when people talk about how, in the old days, countries used to be ruled by kings and nobles, this is usually phrased as "kings and barons", not "kings and counts", or "kings and dukes". Is that true? If so, why?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:06 am Do I get this right that "baron" is, in some contexts, kind of the prototypical English language noble title? That is, I've got the impression that, when people talk about how, in the old days, countries used to be ruled by kings and nobles, this is usually phrased as "kings and barons", not "kings and counts", or "kings and dukes". Is that true? If so, why?
I'd personally phrase it "kings and lords", and do not have experience hearing that specific phrase, but I'm also American. Maybe it's more typical in British English?
A cat and a linguist.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

"Lord" seems more prototypical to me than "baron" myself, so I'd go with "kings and lords".
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

"Baron" was used in some cases as a short hand for nobility. E.g., The Barons' War did not exclusively involve barons. This is probably because barons, being the lowest rank of the nobility, are the most numerous. But at least in modern society, these details are pretty obscure. Most Brits are only vaguely aware of what a baron is compared to other ranks, and most Americans couldn't tell a viscount from their elbow. The "kings and nobles" or "kings and lords" phrases work better.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I’ve definitely heard ‘baron’ as a metonym for the mediaeval aristocracy: e.g. I recall a reference in T.H. White’s The Once and Future King to ‘the old Merry England, when the rosy barons ate with their fingers’. I suspect it has to do with their numbers, as Moose-tache said; also, as the lowest rank, I can speculate that ordinary people would have had more contact with them. Besides, ‘kings and barons’ makes a certain sense in and of itself, as it mentions both the highest and the lowest ranks.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, too!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Would you see it as weird or unusual to italicize to words in a row, but for different reasons, not as one phrase?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 am Would you see it as weird or unusual to italicize to words in a row, but for different reasons, not as one phrase?
I don’t understand this question; could you give an example please?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:15 am
I don’t understand this question; could you give an example please?
Sorry, I can't think of a concrete example right now.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 am Would you see it as weird or unusual to italicize to words in a row, but for different reasons, not as one phrase?
Yes, I'd probably re-word to avoid it.

An example might be "Is Pierrot le Fou de trop?" where one bit is italicized as a title and one bit as a foreign phrase.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

I use one kind of distinguishing for one of them, and a different kind for the other.
For instance, italicize one, but underline the other.
Other possibilities are;
* boldface one
* write one in ALL CAPS
* write one in a different color
etc.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!