Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Vijay

Re: Random Thread

Post by Vijay »

Likes on Twitter can mean all sorts of things, and I probably would have hit "like" there myself. For me, I guess it's more like "I'm glad you shared this with us" or something.
Yiuel Raumbesrairc

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

I usually treat a Twitter heart as a
"I want to positively rate the message so it gets favored by the Grand Tweet Algorithm" thing.
Ez amnar o amnar e cauč.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My use of likes and retweets on Twitter is apparently the opposite of most people's. I retweet almost every tweet I see that seems cool or interesting to me and where I have no basic problem with retweeting something from that person, and sometimes I simply retweet tweets to acknowledge that I have seen then (i. e. tweets responding me). Meanwhile, I try to keep the total number of tweets I've ever liked relatively low, so that, at least in principle, I can still find them all, so I only ever like a few tweets that seem particularly interesting to me.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I finally finished reading that article in Malayalam, by the way. :lol:
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Since it's similar on tumblr regarding likes, likes in response to bad news are sometimes called sympathy likes: You might not have anything specific to say, but you want the poster to know you have seen their update and are there if talking would help
A cat and a linguist.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

I'm told by my professor a story:

He got a scolarship to Utrecht, Netherlands. He went there with clothing normally for hot season, thinking that it's summer in Netherlands. After he landed on Amsterdam Airport, it turns out the temperature to be 12 degree celsius. He then quickly wore a jacket. He then came to Utrecht. Unfortunately, the temperature is now 8 degree celsius. He asked the room master to turn on the heater. However the room master says that it's summer, so the heater will not be turned on.

There is a problem. Is the temperature really that low? It looks like the temperature for winter or fall instead of summer. Please answer this question. I live in Indonesia, so I have no idea about the temperature there.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

This happened in which month and which year?
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

People who move here are always complaining about how in summer, you're burning up outside and freezing inside because the air conditioner is on full blast. Personally, I think I found it a relief when I had to be outside and then finally got inside a building.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Xwtek wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:35 am I'm told by my professor a story:

He got a scolarship to Utrecht, Netherlands. He went there with clothing normally for hot season, thinking that it's summer in Netherlands. After he landed on Amsterdam Airport, it turns out the temperature to be 12 degree celsius. He then quickly wore a jacket. He then came to Utrecht. Unfortunately, the temperature is now 8 degree celsius. He asked the room master to turn on the heater. However the room master says that it's summer, so the heater will not be turned on.

There is a problem. Is the temperature really that low? It looks like the temperature for winter or fall instead of summer. Please answer this question. I live in Indonesia, so I have no idea about the temperature there.
I suppose your professor arrived in September or October? You definitely could get these temperatures at night or in the morning in Paris (a bit warmer than Utrecht) in September. 12°C or even 8°C during the day wouldn't be surprising in October.
And if the building has central heating, it's entirely possible that the heat won't be turned on until later in the fall. (In my apartment building, I think they turn it on in late October).
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Ars Lande wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am I suppose your professor arrived in September or October? You definitely could get these temperatures at night or in the morning in Paris (a bit warmer than Utrecht) in September. 12°C or even 8°C during the day wouldn't be surprising in October.
And if the building has central heating, it's entirely possible that the heat won't be turned on until later in the fall. (In my apartment building, I think they turn it on in late October).
It's definitely August or later, so it's a possibility. But it's also definitely during summer because the room master says that it's summer and the heater won't be turned on during summer. So, it can't be October. Early September?

Anyway, how is the temperature there? It must be hotter there.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Xwtek wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:59 am It's definitely August or later, so it's a possibility. But it's also definitely during summer because the room master says that it's summer and the heater won't be turned on during summer. So, it can't be October. Early September?
https://www.wunderground.com/history/mo ... ate/2019-9

Well, August or September are possible, if he's talking about temperatures at night.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I thought maybe the professor was talking about the temperatures inside the buildings he was in, which could be completely different from the temperatures outside.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Few people would be willing to sleep at 8°C .... I like it, but even here in a cold climate my preferences are unusual enough that I find myself complaining about the heat and discreetly opening windows in midwinter. (Many landlords do not allow that even if the tenant does not turn on the heat.) So, while 8C indoors is not outrageous, I'd expect more than half of people to complain.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I get the impression most people complain about airports anyway. I'm not sure that changes anything.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am Few people would be willing to sleep at 8°C .... I like it, but even here in a cold climate my preferences are unusual enough that I find myself complaining about the heat and discreetly opening windows in midwinter. (Many landlords do not allow that even if the tenant does not turn on the heat.) So, while 8C indoors is not outrageous, I'd expect more than half of people to complain.
The landlords don't let you do what? And I thought there were problems enough with landlords in France and the UK!
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

A lot of landlords will not allow tenants to open windows during the winter, even if the tenant promises not to use any heat. The logic, I assume, is that the cold air will seep into adjoining rooms and cause other tenants to use more heat than they otherwise would. I lived for three years in a fourth-floor apartment where it was literally hotter in winter than in summer because the hot air from the rest of the building rose to us and it was also a south-facing window. So I kept my window open all the time. In that particular place, they didnt seem to mind, but Ive talked to other people in the same situation where their landlords would not allow them to do that.

I should add that this likely applies only to apartments where the heat is included as part of the rent, which is every place I've lived so far.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Do people think that is appropriate for their loandlords to take a decision on?
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:36 pm Do people think that is appropriate for their loandlords to take a decision on?
I dont like it myself because I need less heat than most people and would profit from an apartment in which the rent was extremely low because it excluded heat. I saw apartments in Washington state for something like $220 a month, just because they didn't include heat, and it was in the eastern part of the state where it can get cold in winter. I would do just fine there.

But I understand the logic behind the windows-closed policy and I dont think most of the other tenants in places Ive lived object to it. Unfortunately for me, there seem to be very few apartments around here where heat is /not/ included in the rent, presumably because our cold climate leads to heat being considered a basic necessity. In fact, I heard once that there is a law that all landlords in Maine must provide tenants with a room temperature of 68F (20C), which is far above what Im used to .... but I only found out about this law when a defective heating system sent the temperature in my wing of the building down into the 40s (and then down to a hair below freezing by the day it finally got fixed).

Unrelated ..... Ive asked this before in other places .... who else here drifts off to sleep at night, or daydreams, and mentally looks thing up on an imaginary PC, phone, etc complete with Google and a realistic results page? last night I was in bed and just before I fell asleep i thought about something i wanted to upload to my website, so in my mind i did it, but i couldnt see the password, so i had to login again. i do this all the time, more often with Google on a phone than FTP on a PC, but the idea is the same.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Does anyone else have the impression that the Board has gotten a bit quieter than usual over the last couple of days?
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Boards with lots of Americans often slow down over American Thanksgiving, I think.