Random Thread

Topics that can go away
keenir

Re: Random Thread

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:45 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:43 pm
foxcatdog wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:07 pm therapist: objectively evil sound changes do not exist they can't hurt you
cot-caught merger and yeismo: allow us to introduce ourselves
I think the most evil sound change is turning sibilants into laterals myself.
You deny the darkness in your soul, you deny your power.
just let the pressure build, like a blocked pipe under investigation by the Mythbusters.
(edit): also does that mean Amarin is an objectively good language since it changes laterals into sibilants
No, that just demonstrates it knows how to hide its evilicity.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

keenir wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:42 pm No, that just demonstrates it knows how to hide its evilicity.
I think I kind of like the word "evilicity".
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Anyone interested in reading about Irish/British history in German? Perhaps your first language is something else, and you want to brush up on your German, or specifically on a pseudo-scholarly register of German?

Earlier this year, for no good reason, I wrote this it-was-meant-to-be-brief-but-ended-up-being-pretty-long German-language "summary" of British-Irish relations through the ages. I couldn't help making it a bit dry. The very last bit is already outdated. The file is a zip file containing both the pdf version and the epub version.
irl.zip
(163.12 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:58 am Anyone interested in reading about Irish/British history in German? Perhaps your first language is something else, and you want to brush up on your German, or specifically on a pseudo-scholarly register of German?

Earlier this year, for no good reason, I wrote this it-was-meant-to-be-brief-but-ended-up-being-pretty-long German-language "summary" of British-Irish relations through the ages. I couldn't help making it a bit dry. The very last bit is already outdated. The file is a zip file containing both the pdf version and the epub version.

irl.zip
My German is more than rusty, but hey, I'll give it a try :)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:02 am
My German is more than rusty, but hey, I'll give it a try :)
Oh, thank you! You don't have to put yourself into misery for me!
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Am i right in saying organ meat phobia is less prominent amongst non anglo europeans? See french foie gras and italian tripe sandwiches.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

foxcatdog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 am Am i right in saying organ meat phobia is less prominent amongst non anglo europeans? See french foie gras and italian tripe sandwiches.
I'm not sure. I think it's true but increasingly less so. You still find a lot of people loving tripe here, but less so than one or two generations ago.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Ares Land wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:38 am
foxcatdog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 am Am i right in saying organ meat phobia is less prominent amongst non anglo europeans? See french foie gras and italian tripe sandwiches.
I'm not sure. I think it's true but increasingly less so. You still find a lot of people loving tripe here, but less so than one or two generations ago.
Judging by that the decline in popularity must have occured much later then similar declines in anglo countries
keenir

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:15 am
Judging by that the decline in popularity must have occured much later then similar declines in anglo countries
Why is that? Aren't things such as (ox) heart and jellied eels still eaten in countries like the UK?
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

keenir wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:13 am

Why is that? Aren't things such as (ox) heart and jellied eels still eaten in countries like the UK?
I've never heard of ox heart in the uk only peru but from what i understand jellied eels isn't something many people would eat. You can probably still find liver and tripe enthusiasts in uk/america/here but its not something most people would eat.
keenir

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:19 am
keenir wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:13 am

I've never heard of ox heart in the uk only peru but from what i understand jellied eels isn't something many people would eat.
both were eaten in the UK, and the heart was being slowly brought back - the example I know best was an episode of No Reservations in a UK restaurant.

jellied eels, were far more widespread, I've been given to understand. just have to avoid eating the bone - quietly slide it out of the mouth and back on to the spoon.
You can probably still find liver and tripe enthusiasts in uk/america/here but its not something most people would eat.
Then I'm not sure why KFC is introducing (or reintroducing) fried liver to its menu.
:)
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Certainly i would say they might have become more popular in recent years with exposure to global cuisine.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What should, theoretically speaking, happen if an object that has a number of ants on it is brought to a different place, a place that is very far away - at least by ant standards - from the ants' original colony? Let's assume the ants are all workers, with no queens, drones, or larvae among them.

What little I know about ants makes me think that, theoretically, the ants might carry on for a while, but since they have no way to replace their dead, once they've all reached the end of the (fairly short) lifespan of worker ants, they should all be dead, with none left. Could someone who knows more about ants than me tell me whether there's a flaw in my logic?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:19 pm What should, theoretically speaking, happen if an object that has a number of ants on it is brought to a different place, a place that is very far away - at least by ant standards - from the ants' original colony? Let's assume the ants are all workers, with no queens, drones, or larvae among them.

What little I know about ants makes me think that, theoretically, the ants might carry on for a while, but since they have no way to replace their dead, once they've all reached the end of the (fairly short) lifespan of worker ants, they should all be dead, with none left. Could someone who knows more about ants than me tell me whether there's a flaw in my logic?
You're correct. In the US at least, you can buy an "ant farm", which is a little habitat made of sand or gel, between panes of glass. They do not contain a queen. One manufacturer's FAQ notes that they'll last up to 3 months:

https://www.unclemilton.com/support/faq/ants/
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!