Working on my naming languages (thread title was edited)

Conworlds and conlangs
Raphael

Re: Working on my naming languages (thread title was edited)

Post by Raphael »

Raholeun wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 am "Hundred-hundred-hundred places" is a nice term, but surely in a marked register, right?
The speakers of Proto-1 had a relatively egalitarian culture with small groups, relatively little specialization, and no writing, formal education, or complex media, so there weren't as many opportunities for different registers to develop as in a more modern language. And they were mostly concerned with places at relatively short distances from their homes - opportunities to talk about the world as a whole arouse mostly in the context of telling and retelling their myths and stories, and on those occasions, they used rather exalted registers (to the extent that they had them) anyway.

But I plan to shorten the term more and more in the descended languages (if I ever get around to working on the descended languages).
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 pm To be honest, at the moment I don't know yet what a verbal slot table is. :oops:
It is a table that describes how to order an affix. Like
-3 -2 -1 0
Person Number TAM Root
Raphael wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 pm I'm not sure that I really understand what you mean.
Just mark either of them. Either you can have definite article, topic prominent word order, or proximate-obviate word order.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Akangka wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm
Raphael wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 pm To be honest, at the moment I don't know yet what a verbal slot table is. :oops:
-3 -2 -1 0
Person Number TAM Root
Thank you, I'll try to do that.
Raphael wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 pm I'm not sure that I really understand what you mean.
Just mark either of them. Either you can have definite article, topic prominent word order, or proximate-obviate word order.
Ok, I'll try to work on that.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Raphael wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:13 am
Akangka wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm
-3 -2 -1 0
Person Number TAM Root
Thank you, I'll try to do that.
Update: Done!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Two more Proto-languages, though with a lot fewer words than Proto-1, are up:

https://guessishouldputthisupsomewhere. ... d-proto-3/
Last edited by Raphael on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Please put the link to here in your blog.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Das Public Viewing

Re: My first attempts at phonolgies and syllable rules for my naming languages

Post by Das Public Viewing »

Looks pretty cool! I do still wonder why Proto-3 only has the one long vowel, but I think it's neat you have a pretty-much unified orthography for pretty much all or the proto-langs. Also, I spotted a thing:
Raphael wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:17 pm <æ> is pronounced as a standard English <a> when reciting the alphabet.
Das Public Viewing wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm
Front Central Back
High i í u ú
Close é o ô
Low æ a â
Raphael later wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm“æ” is pronounced as the diphthong /eɪ/"
Front Central Back
High i í u ú
Close é o óh
Low æ a á
Oops, I might've caused this one; sorry. I misread your post as referring to "short" a, which is /æ/ in IPA, so I never changed it. I'm 90% sure you wouldn't put /eɪ̯/ there. However, where it would actually go in the chart, I don't know; usually, I see diphthongs separated out from the rest of the vowels. If this is the equivalent to long /o/, it might also be interesting to see the difference in outcome if the unstressed vowel is longer or shorter than the stressed variant. (also in general, very cool idea of tying stress to vowels)

Otherwise, I'm curious to see the eventual derivations!
I update my latest screwup regularly, so take whatever I say with a pinch of sh₂ēl.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you! I've fixed the /eɪ/ issue. I have three more a priori simple languages to go - one protolang and two standalone modern languages - before I can start on sound changes. But thankfully, these three languages all have very small vocabularies, so it shouldn't take too long.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

And here are the last three, very rudimentary, a priori naming languages:

https://guessishouldputthisupsomewhere. ... c3-and-d6/

Now on to sound changes!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sort-of status update: I hit a wall as soon as I tried to start working on sound changes, and I haven't gotten any farther yet. However, in an attempt to help my inspiration, I've given all my characters "provisional" names - that is, names in the proto-languages from which the modern languages that are theoretically supposed to provide their "actual" names are descended.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

A thread about the conhistory for which I was trying to do all this is here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=527