If natlangs were conlangs

Natural languages and linguistics
Kuchigakatai

Re: If natlangs were conlangs

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Zju wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:04 pmDoes that paper happen to have description of the phonology? I'm curious to see what the phonetic realisations of /kîɛɛɛr/ and /dɛ̂aaal/ are.
Here is the paper. The author simply says Nuer has three degrees of vowel length, and gives a minimal triplet.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

We aim to establish the basic parameters of the Nuer tonal system, such as the number of tonemes.
It's the Year of Our Lord 2020 and they're just now figuring out how many tones Nuer has. And here I thought there were no more worlds to conquer...
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:30 pm
We aim to establish the basic parameters of the Nuer tonal system, such as the number of tonemes.
It's the Year of Our Lord 2020 and they're just now figuring out how many tones Nuer has. And here I thought there were no more worlds to conquer...
Here we're potentially close to hocus pocus territory, where the truth isn't out there, and certainly not if we look for a language's phonemes. Southern Thai is another example, where for tonemes, having minimal pairs can depend on regionally limited consonant mergers, and the whole is probably now complicated by bilinguality with Standard Thai.

In the case of Nuer, there seems to be agreement that there are five phonetic tones. The question is how many tonemes there are.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

From a response Rounin Ryuuji gave to a question about accent marks I asked in the Linguistic Miscellany Thread:
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:29 pmthe grave, if I'm remembering right, was used to mark a change from [e] to [ɛ] in the presence of a coda consonant where there had once been a final schwa
Ok, creator of French, you couldn't get any more convoluted, could you?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:21 am From a response Rounin Ryuuji gave to a question about accent marks I asked in the Linguistic Miscellany Thread:
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:29 pmthe grave, if I'm remembering right, was used to mark a change from [e] to [ɛ] in the presence of a coda consonant where there had once been a final schwa
Ok, creator of French, you couldn't get any more convoluted, could you?
Yes, they can.