New Lulani script

Conworlds and conlangs
Ryan of Tinellb

New Lulani script

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

My original script for High Lulani was semi-featural. All the nasals had a small straight line somewhere in them, all the alveolar sounds had a wedge shape, all the back vowels had a horizontal line...
Click the picture to make it larger

I've now decided to assign that script to the daughter language Demotic Lulani, leaving space for the previously uncreated featural script the former would have been based on.
Click the picture to make it larger

This is the same paragraph in both scripts. To directly compare the individual characters, you can check out this table (full featural on the left, semi-featural on the right):
More: show
I'm likely to keep adjusting these subtly to make them look better, but they're at least usable now.
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
Moose-tache

Re: New Lulani script

Post by Moose-tache »

I love it. Featural conscripts tend to be very rigid and logical, so I really like the idea of it "eroding" into a semi-featural script over time. I think the different stroke widths are slightly distracting in your sample, but otherwise this is a 10/10 for idea and execution.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Excellent! I have always liked featural scripts where the letters don't look all the same, which is not so easy to achieve (I hope to have succeeded in that with the Old Albic alphabet).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

I dig it. Various features give me impressions of a wide variety of scripts, but nothing seems directly comparable, so this seems very much it's own thing. Kudos.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Ryan of Tinellb

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

Thanks to you all for your kind words.
Moose-tache wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 am ... I think the different stroke widths are slightly distracting in your sample...
Oh, definitely. I wish I had some font designers from my conworld so I didn't have to do it :) .
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Cool. I have always liked featural scripts and this one looks pretty good. It would look really cool carved into stone or perhaps adapted to cuneiform.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

That is pretty cool. Nothing else to really offer.
masako

Post by masako »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:58 pm That is pretty cool. Nothing else to really offer.
2nd
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Is the erosion into a semifeatural script like how Ge’ez vowels were originally written alongside their consonants but merged together, distorting the consonants in the process?