More Hours of Bááru (tone revisited)

Conworlds and conlangs
akam chinjir

More Hours of Bááru (tone revisited)

Post by akam chinjir »

48 Hours of Bááru

This is my go at dewrad's 48 hour challenge---a bit early, but it's time for bed. I'm putting everything in more tags so it's easier to jump around or over. There are definitely inconsistencies and errors, but what can you do? It was fun, and hopefully the results are interesting.

Phonology
More: show
1. Inventory
mn(ŋ)
ptk
bdg
ts
dz
fsh
ɾ <r>
(r)
l
w
I'll write ŋ for the place-assimilating nasal coda when it assimilates to a velar, but there's no contrastive velar nasal. [r] occurs intervocalically, but I take it to realise geminate /ɾ/; I will write the rhotics accordingly as r and rr.
iu
eo
a
All vowels occur long. Semi-officially I take vowel length to be suprasegmental in nature, but I'll still write the long vowels as sequences.

There are two marked tones, high and low, as well as syllables that are unmarked for tone. Contour tones are possible on long vowels, though this is very rare within roots. Only two contours are possible, the obvious rising LH and falling HL.

I'll usually represent a high tone with an acute accent on the hosting vowel, and a low tone with a grave accent; but floating tones will get superscript ᴴ or ᴸ, as appropriate.

2. Phonotactics

Vowel sequences are common, with adjacent vowels always in hiatus. Within roots, adjacent vowels always differ in quality, and morphophonology enforces this constraint more generally.

All consonants may occur as onsets.

r, l, and w can occur in coda before a plosive, an affricate, or h, and h can occur before a plosive or affricate. Moreover, both nasals can occur before h, and a homorganic nasal before any plosive or affricate.

The voiceless plosives, ts, and r can occur geminate between vowels. (Geminate ts will be written tts. And remember that r represents /ɾ/, and rr is pronounced as [r].)

Note that the syllable constraints ensure that digraphs ts and dz will never be ambiguous.

3. Stress

So far I haven't found any reason to talk about stress.

4. Processes

There are phonological processes that are sensitive to phonological words, clitic groups, and tone groups. A phonological word includes a root and any affixes; a clitic group includes in addition any clitics; and a tone group might include multiple words in a phrase (I can't tell you the details because I don't know them yet).

5. Vowel merger

Whenever two short vowels of the same quality become adjacent within a phonological word, they will merge to form a single long vowel. If the original vowels differ in tone, the resulting long vowel will have a contour tone.

6. h-epenthesis

When two vowels of the same quality become adjacent within a clitic group, they will be separated by an epenthetic h; this process can be bled by vowel merger, just discussed.

7. Nasal assimilation

A coda nasal will assimilate in place to a following consonant other than h.

8. i-epenthesis

i will be inserted to break up any illegal consonant clusters produced by morphology. This does not bleed nasal assimilation:

9. Contour dissimulation

When the two morae of a long vowel differ tonewise, the result is a contour, which must be either HL or LH. This may require dissimulation if one of the morae has no linked tone; for example, ∅H must become LH.

10. An obligatory contour principle

Within a tone group, there's a constraint that adjacent tones must differ. There's a subtlety: within a morpheme, one and the same tone can be linked to multiple adjacent morae, which is to say, to multiple vowels. Roots such as óká stand and éáw rub are thus perfectly legal: each has two tone-bearing vowels, but just one tone. The same verbs inflected for 2p agreement are a problem, however, since the agreement marker -óó has its own tone that cannot be adjacent to the tone in the stem: neither ókáóó nor éáwóó is a legal form.

The solution isn't too strange: the tone on the second morpheme must retreat to leave a gap between it and the tone on the first morpheme.

In those two examples this is simple, since the second of the tones is multiply linked and can simply delink from its first vowel: you get óká+oó and éáw+oó---and then (by contour dissimulation) ókáòó and éáwòó. But there can be further complications.

You also get conflict when the class II 3p possessor marker éé- is prefixed to áhea campfire. But the tone on áhea is singly linked, so it cannot delink from its vowel without being entirely lost. Rather than that, it will shift to the right, and the result is ééahéa their campfire.

When the tone moves to the right, this can create a further violation of the obligatory contour principle. Such a case occurs when the class I 3p possessor marker é- is prefixed to éweó son: when the tone on the stem-initial e moves to the right, it becomes adjacent to the tone on o, creating a violation. This violation can be repaired only by creating a second gap; in this case, the tone must delink from o and try to find a host further to the right. Since it is already at the end of the word, the result is a floating tone; I will write this as éèwéoᴴ (contour dissimulation has again come into play, as has vowel merger). The floating tone might find a host if another word follows within the tone group; otherwise, it will remain unlinked and unpronounced.

There is one further sort of case to consider. See what happens when éé- gets prefixed to éàbe ko fruit: the high tone on the stem's first vowel must move to the right, but there is a separate tone already linked to the vowel to its right. The result is what you might expect: that tone must also make way, resulting here in ééheábè. And as you might also expect, the shifting of the second tone can leads to its own complications, which are resolved in the ways I have just discussed.

11. Floating tones

A tone can remain phonologically active despite not being linked to a particular mora or vowel; this is what is called a floating tone. Most floating tones result from the need to repair violations of the obligatory contour principle, as just discussed. But some morphemes simply come with floating tones, and they will also try to find a host.

When a floating tone is located at the right edge of a morpheme, everything happens as discussed above: it will link to the first vowel of any morpheme that follows within the tone group, potentially forcing some tone within that morpheme to shift further to the right.

When the floating tone is at the morpheme's left edge, as in the verbal negation marker -ᴸhro, something else can happen: the floating tone will first try to lodge on the vowel of an immediately preceding syllable. However, at most a multiply-linked tone within the preceding morpheme will contract to make way for it: no tones will actually move to the left. This can result in the floating tone seeking a host to its right, in which case things proceed as already described.

Nouns
1. Number

First you need to know the rule that non-referential nouns are always treated as singular: they may not occur in their plural form, if they have one, and they trigger singular agreement. This is so even if they occur with numbers:
òwdéri pogá wekó
òwdé-rí pogá wékò
need-1s axe  three
"I need three axes"
Second, there is a class of nouns that I will call mass nouns that are always treated as plural when referential: they'll occur in their plural forms when they have one and they'll trigger plural agreement. (So plural marking on mass nouns actually indicates referentiality.)

That said, there are a few ways in which nouns form their plurals, and no very good general rule to predict which will be correct for any given noun.
  • An affixed high tone. If the stem's final syllable has a low tone, this will normally get replaced: toà daytoá. The affixed high tone can end up floating off to the right: ápo treeápo+H. (No nouns whose last vowel already has a high tone form their plural this way.)
  • Echoing the vowel of the final syllable, along with any tone. This is especially common with vowel-final stems: pogá axepogáá.
  • Suffix -ko. Thus béá personbéáko. This is especially common with animates, and also with nouns whose last vowel has a high tone.
  • Suffix -koa. Thus éé snakeéékoa. This is especially common with referents that usually come in great numbers but which are rarely salient one-by-one, including many mass nouns; thus tsókò grasstsókòkoa. Some nouns take one plural when used as genuinely plural count nouns, and -koa when used as a (referential) mass noun. Thus, áhea fire, campfire has the unsurprising plural áheá, but as a referential mass noun it becomes instead áheakoa fire.
There are two common deriational processes related to the marking of number:
  • The -koa suffix can also be used to form nouns referring to coherent groups, such as béákoa group (of associates or companions); hunting party.
  • Full reduplication forms nouns, often with a quantifying significance: toà daytoà toá everyday, all the time (but also just time), béá personbéá beá everybody. (The tone change on toà is regular, and affects all reduplicating nouns that normally use a high tone to mark the plural. The tone change on béá repairs a violation of the obligatory contour principle.)
2. Definiteness

All definite noun phrases must take a definite determiner of some sort. There are five possibilities:
  • The determiner is used with proper names and some other nouns that have unique referents, as in tì=ekówé the sun. (I'll gloss this as PN for proper name.)
  • The numbers uo one, dzì two, and wékò three can occur as determiners in their definite forms tsáw, indzì, and nékò. This is never obligatory, but will be chosen instead of using the determiner n (below) with one of the numbers in its regular (indefinite) form.
  • The deictics (proximal) and wòr (distal) can either occur after the noun, with a prenominal definiteness marker, or can themselves occupy the position before the noun. These are often used in preference to n when the definiteness of the noun phrase is secured by a post-nominal modifier, especially a possessor or relative clause.
  • Prefixes of both possessive series imply definiteness without any further marker.
  • In all other cases, the proclitic n= is used, or in= before a consonant (in which case the n will assimilate in place if the consonant is not h, and a stem-initial n will become d).
Nonreferential nouns can be marked definite in generic statements:
imbéágagúr dé sààm dzòru
n  -béá   -gágur dé    sàà-m    dzòru
DEF-person-Gagur be.3s eat-PTCP fish
"The Gagur people eat fish"
Neither noun phrase in this sentence is referential, so neither can be marked plural; the first but not the second gets definite marking because of its generic significance.

3. Possession

There are three ways of marking possession, depending on the nature of the relationship.

Inalienable possession is marked with the Class I possession prefixes:
SPl
1a-áá-
2o-owi-
3e-é-
The Class II possession prefixes mark what I will call beneficiary possession. This is appropriate especially when the posssessor is expected to consume or otherwise make exhaustive use of the possessed, though these prefixes can also express more a general beneficiary relationship. Here they are:
SPl
1ado-adóó-
2o-óó-
3ee-éé-
When possession is marked by prefixes in either of these two ways, the possessor can occur either before the noun or after it. If after, it will normally follow any other modifier except possibly a preposition phrase or relative clause. If before, for phonological purposes it will count as part of the same tone group as the head noun.

Finally, a possessor can be given using the oblique preposition fi: impogá fi=tì=uéɾi Wedi's axe. I'll call this associative possession.

It's not too difficult to construct a full paradigms:
  • edzóó tì=uéri Wedi's body (inalienable possession)
  • eedzóó tì=uéri Wedi's meat (that she'll eat; beneficiary possession)
  • gí dzóó fi=tì=uéri Wedi's meat (that she's offering at a feast, maybe; associative possession)
4. Adjective modifiers

There's an open class of adjectives that can directly modify nouns:
  • tèda wéàti a sheltered campsite
  • áhea gírí a hot fire
There's probably nothing very surprising in the order these come in.

Adjectives, along with other postnominal modifiers, normally do not count as part of the same tone group as the head noun.

5. Numbers

Numbers follow adjectives, except when the definite forms occur prenominally, as discussed above.
  • pogáá wekó three axes
  • éádako dzì two girls
As you might expect, numbers do not often occur directly with mass nouns, though when there's a situationally salient principle for counting, this can be acceptable:
uéri sààdze indzì dzóó
uéri sàà-dz -e  indzì   dzóó
Wedi eat-PST-3s two.DEF meat.PL
"Wedi ate the two (portions of) meat"
6. Deictics

(proximal) and wòr (distal) can occur postnominally, following any numbers, so long as there is some other prenominal marker of definiteness:
  • impogáá wòr those axes
  • náhea gí this campfire
They can also come before the noun, in which case no other marker of definiteness (or possession) is possible:
  • wòr pogáá those axes
  • gí ahéa this campfire
7. Relative clauses

These follow all other modifiers, though they can be followed by focus markers. They are usually formed simply by gapping, together with subjunctive marking on the verb:
ábá máádzúú adò gíbeáko àhtéé adóódzòó
ábá      mááde-dz -úú adò gí  =béá   -ko àh  -téé     adóó   -dzóó
and.then dance-PST-1p BEN PROX=person-PL give-3p.SBJV 1p.POSS-meat.PL
"Then we danced for the ones who brought the meat"
It's very common to use the proximal deictic as a definite determiner when the phrase's definiteness is secured by a post-nominal modifier, as here.

Verbs
1. Core paradigms

There are three main verbal paradigms: nonpast, past, and subjunctive. This section will run through their forms. These register agreement with an argument of the verb, most often the subject.

Nonpast indicative verbs are marked only for agreement. Here are the markers:

SPl
1-rí, -í, dí-bí, -abí
2-ò, -ó-óó
3---V

Some particulars:
  • The allophone of the 1s ending occurs after a coda consonant, except that -dí occurs after h.
  • The -abí allophone of the 1p ending occurs after a consonant and after most monosyllabic verbs (the exceptions are those ending in a `weak' i).
  • The allophone of the 2s ending occurs after a high tone.
  • The 3p suffix is an echo vowel: it repeats the last vowel of the stem, except that if that vowel bears a low tone, it becomes high.
Here are some paradigms showing important verbs and patterns:

kotsimáádesààmèàwàh
behitknowdanceeatdrinkgive
1sdériᴴkorítsirímááderísààrímèàwíàhdí
2sdéòkóòtsòmáádeòsààómèàwóàhó
3skotsimáádesààmèàwàh
1pdéabíkoabítsabímáádebísààbímèàwabíàhabí
2pdéòókóótsóómáádeóósààóómèàwóóàhóó
3pdéékootsiimáádeesààhámèàwáàhá

The past tense has the marker -dz, which becomes -ts after a coda h but which is pleasantly invariant. There is one minor irregularity: some stems ending in a high vowel have the vowel lower befre the past tense marker. (Among the example verbs, tsi know has this happen: it has past forms in tsedz-.) Besides that, verbs in the past tense take a distinct set of agreement markers:

SPl
1-úú
2-ò, -ó-óó
3-e-éé

The ó allophone of the 2s marker occurs after low tones. As discussed elsewhere, the same agreement markers occur on focus particles and on the locative copula.

Here are the example verbs conjugated in the past tense:

kotsimáádemèàwsàààh
behitknowenjoyseeeatgive
1sdédzíkodzítsedzímáádedzímèàwdzísààdzíàhtsí
2sdédzòkodzòtsedzòmáádedzòmèàwdzósààdzóàhtsó
3sdédzekodzetsedzemáádedzemèàwdzesààdzeàhtse
1pdédzùúkodzúútsedzúúmáádedzúúmèàwdzúúsààdzúúàhtsúú
2pdédzòókodzóótsedzóómáádedzóómèàwdzóósààdzóóàhtsóó
3pdédzèékodzéétsedzéémáádedzéémèàwdzéésààdzééàhtséé

Finally, there are subjunctive forms. These do not distinguish nonpast from past, and except for the 1s form use the same agreement markers as the past tense. The subjunctive marker itself also varies with person and number, however; the full forms are as follows:

SPl
1-ttú, -tú-súú
2-ttò, -tò, -ttó, -tó-ttóó, -tóó
3-te-téé

The shorter allophones of the 1s, 2s, and 2p markers occur after coda consonants; the high tone allphones of the 2s markers occur after a low tone.

Here are the example verbs:

kotsimáádemèàwsàààh
behitknowenjoyseeeatgive
1sdíttuᴴkottútsittúmáádettúmèàwtúsààttúàhtú
2sdíttòkottòtsittòmáádettòmèàwtósààttóàhtó
3sdítekotetsitemáádetemèàwtesààteàhte
1pdísùúkosúútsisúúmáádesúúmèàwsúúsààsúúàhsúú
2pdíttòókottóótsittóómáádettóómèàwtóósààttóóàhtóó
3pdítèékotéétsitéémáádetéémèàwtéésààtééàhtéé

2. Negation

Negation is indicated with the suffix -ᴸhro, which follows the agreement suffixes. Morphologically speaking it's straightforward.

3. The patient participle

Many verbs have what I'll call a patient participle, that can be used with various auxiliaries and in secondary predication (nonmorphological details elsewhere).

In the simplest cases, the patient participle is formed by suffixing -m to a vowel-final stem:
  • íè seeíèm
  • sàà eatsààm
If a verb's final vowel lowers before the past tense dz then it also lowers before this m:
  • tsi knowtsem
Unpredictably, some verbs take -me rather than -m:
  • óká standókáme
Neither -m nor -me can occur after a coda consonant. Instead you get -bi and -be:
  • kóón fearkóómbi
  • éáw rubéáwbe
Patient participles can agree in number but not person with an appropriate noun phrase. Those that end in a vowel show plural agreement with a high tone; those in -m use an echo vowel. (This is the same agreement pattern displayed by adjectives.)

It would take us too far afield here to take up the question of which verbs have patient participles. You wouldn't be too far wrong if you guessed that it is verbs that take patient arguments---but there is a morphological complication. Derived causatives do not get their own patient participle even if their source verb has one. Thus we get ókóme from óká stand (intrastive) but no *òkóme corresponding to òká stand (transitive).

4. The ku- nominalisation

The most productive and regular of Bááru's nominalisations, and the one most integrated into the syntax, is that formed by prefixing the verb stem with ku-. In fact you can think of this prefix as applying to a whole verb phrase, for even in this form the verb can have its full complement of internal arguments and VP adjuncts.

It cannot have a subject, however. Instead the subject of the verb is expressed as a possessor, using the Class I possession prefixes (otherwise used for inalienable possession). Here they are:

SPl
1a-áá-
2o-owi-
3e-é-

The subject itself, if overt, can only occur before the verb, unlike with the possessor's of regular nouns.

5. The locative copula

The locative copula ts be at inflects using the same agreement suffixes as past tense verbs:

SPl
1tsítsúú
2tsòtsóó
3tsetséé

For a past or subjunctive locative predication, the verb be is used in place of ts.

Focus
There are four inflecting focus particles:
  • ge also, all (exhaustive)
  • le even (mirative, I guess)
  • we only (contrastive)
  • pe (interrogative)
(The translations and labels are meant to be vague, their nuances and contrasts to be worked out later.)

The focus particles take the same agreement markers as do past tense verbs (their citation form includes the default 3s agreement marker). When the focused constiuent is itself a noun phrase, the focus particle will of course agree with that noun phrase. In other cases---for example with predicate or sentence focus---it may not be obvious what if anything the particles should agree with, and even in the obvious cases focus can have consequences that you might not expect.

Let's start with the very basics. Here's an example in which the object has been focused:
tìuéri sààdze néékoagéé
tì=uéri sàà-dz -e  n  =éé   -koa=g  -éé
PN=Wedi eat-PST-3s DEF=snake-PL =FOC-3p
"Wedi also ate the snakes (→ in addition to the other things she ate)"
The focused constituent here is a single word, with which the focus particle has thoroughly fused, phonologically speaking. I'll gloss it as a clitic, mostly because it can attach to phrases as well as to particular words:
tìuéri sààdze néékoa békeléè
tì=uéri sàà-dz -e  n  =éé   -koa béke -ᴴ =l  -éé
PN=Wedi eat-PST-3s DEF=snake-PL  alive-PL=FOC-3p
"Wedi even ate the live snakes"
(Aside: I don't know what's up with Wedi and snakes, but I expect I'll have fun finding out.)

Here it's the whole phrase néékoa béke live snakes that's focused.

I currently plan for heavy modifiers like relative clauses to come after the focus particle, despite logically being a part of the focused constituent:
ábá máádzúú adò gíbeákogéé àhtéé adóódzòó
ábá      mááde-dz -úú adò gí  =béá   -ko=g  -éé àh  -téé     adóó   -dzóó
and.then dance-PST-1p BEN PROX=person-PL=FOC-3p give-3p.SBJV 1p.POSS-meat.PL
"Then we danced for the ones who brought the meat"
Another possibility would be to consistently use focus particles to mark the ends of relative clauses.

Arbitrary constituents can be focused. Maybe the following statement would be appropriate if it had been called into question whether I was at the shrine or merely near it:
tsí oowe wórré
ts -í  oo =w  -e  wórré
COP-1s LOC=FOC-3s shrine
"I was at the shrine (→ not somewhere in some other relation to the shrine)"
(Notice the default 3s agreement on the focus particle.)

With focused adjuncts there's not much more to say in an initial sketch like this. But objects and subjects can be more interesting.

Here's a pair of examples that include the adverb ehìó repeatedly, with the object focuse in (just) the second one; you'll see that the relative position of the object and adverb differs.
tìuéri kodze nùtòba ehìó
tì=uéri ko -dz -e  n  =ùtòba ehìó
PN=Wedi hit-PST-3s DEF=stump repeatedly
"Wedi hit the stump repeatedly"
tìuéri kodza ehìó nùtòbage
tì=uéri ko -dz -e  ehìó       n  =ùtòba=g  -e
PN=Wedi hit-PST-3s repeatedly DEF=stump=FOC-3s
"Wedi also hit the stump repeatedly (→ in additon to the other things he hit repeatedly)"
Adverb placement is more rigid in Bááru than it is in English, and this alternation is meant to be striking. The idea is that somehow the focus particle prevents the object from moving into its usual position in the sentence's structure.

The same thing happens with a focused subject: combined with a focus particle, it cannot move to its usual position before the verb. Further, the verb will no longer agree with it---as if the (agreeing) focus particle has used up its ability to control agreement. So regardless of the features of the subject, the verb will end up with default 3s agreement.

Here's an example, with an intransitive verb:
ábá si himáádedze béábeágèé
ábá      si   hi  -mááde-dz -e  béá.bèá  =g  -éé
and.then also EXPL-dance-PST-3s everybody=FOC-3p
"Then everyone danced"
There's an extra morpheme in there that I'm not yet sure about: hi, which I've glossed as EXPL. I'm imagining it as having something of the function of an expletive pronoun (hence the gloss), but I'm wavering on whether to keep it. My current plan is to let it hang around a bit, and let it stay if it gets up to anything interesting.

Things don't especially change in a transitive clause, though it's maybe worth mentioning that the focused subject still comes before the object:
hisààdze tìuérile néékoa
hi  -sàà-dz -e  tì=uéri=l  -e  n  =éé   -koa
EXPL-eat-PST-3s PN=Wedi=FOC-3s DEF=snake-PL
"Even Wedi ate the snakes"
Incidentally, I've successfully fought off the impulse to have the verb agree with the object in cases like this: I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work given other things going on in Bááru, and anyway I'm already doing something a lot like that in the main language I've been working on recently.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to sort out predicate focus and sentence focus. (Translation: I want to look some things up before making any decisions, and I'm not doing that till after this challenge is done.) Both of these will have a focus particle suffixed to the verb. For predicate focus, the focus particle will agree with the object (if there is one), for sentence focus it'll agree with the subject.

I've got myself convinced that in this set-up, predicate focus will have the same effects on word order as does object focus, but I'm more concerned about sentence focus: I want it to have the same effects on agreement and word order as does subject focus, and I'm pretty sure things tend to go that way in the languages I'm vaguely basing this on, but I can't right now see how to make it work.

Anyway, to finish this discussion, here's an example of predicate focus:
àtsó téfikedzíwe e
àtsó téfike-dz -í =w  -e  e
1s   watch -PST-1s=FOC-3s 3s
"I only watched"
A nice touch: it's going to look a bit like the verbs in sentences with predicate focus agree with their objects, though officially that's not what's going on.

The patient participle
This isn't worked out in any detail, but it's maybe fun enough to throw out some ideas. It's about a sort participle that you can form from many verbs with suffixes -m, -me, -bi, and -be (I gave the main morphological details when discussing verbs).

At a first pass, the verbs that have a patient participle are ones that assign thematic roles that are sufficiently patientlike. I'm thinking of patients here in contrast to themes as much as to agents: in contrast to both, patients are prototypically affected by the event reported by the verb, and that's the idea I'm mostly after here.

I want to let this idea wiggle in three directions:
  • I want it to stretch to include the affected agents of verbs like eat and drink when they're used to describe the effect of an event on its agent. (snakes is the patient of Wedi ate snakes, but Wedi is the patient as well as the agent of Wedi ate.)
  • I want it to include experiencers, regardless of whether those are realised as subjects or objects.
  • I a bit want it to include the subjects of certain stative verbs, including for example sleep---though it may be enough to count the patients of inchoative verbs (fall asleep).
However exactly that goes, a good range of verbs will have patient participles, adjectivelike forms that describe the verbs' patients.

The interest of these participles will depend on the uses I find for them. The motivating construction was a sort of complex negation using a stative auxiliary, now be, like this:
àtsó dérihró sààm
àtsó dé-rí-ᴸhro sàà-m
1s   be-1s-NEG  eat-PTCP
"I am not eating"
This is supposed to have a stative nuance that I'm finding hard to explain.

...and, that's where my brain's crashing, maybe I'll come back to this.
Last edited by akam chinjir on Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
akam chinjir

Re: 48 Hours of Bááru

Post by akam chinjir »

Update

I made some corrections after the deadline, nothing substantive. In a bunch of places I had ɾ instead of r, and I gave tì=larhe the moon as an example of a phrase with a unique referent---when it's by no means established that the conworld has a single moon.

I also corrected a grammatical error in this sentence:
imbéágagúr dé sààm dzòru
n  -béá   -gágur dé    sàà-m    dzòru
DEF-person-Gagur be.3s eat-PTCP fish
"The Gagur people eat fish"
The error was to have the subject marked plural. Nonreferential expressions, including generic nouns, are not supposed to be able to take plural marking.

In retrospect this also might be a misuse of the patient participle. The original point of the participle was to enable constructions like this: it was precisely a verb form that could be used with a stative auxiliary, for example in generic statements. But then I got the idea of associating the participle especially with patients, and I'm not sure how much of its earlier, stative use can survive that. And there's a problem specific to this sentence, that in this use, sààm eating, being eaten has dzòru fish as its patient but it's being applied to the Gagur people. (So far sàà is like English eat in that its subject can be a patient, but I think only when it's used intransitively.)
akam chinjir

Tone revisiting

Post by akam chinjir »

Tone

I don't think I did too bad a job making up a tone system, but now that I've let myself consult some things I want to tidy things up a bit. That's what this post is for. Er, it's long and pedantic.

1. Basics

Okay, Bááru has three surface tones, high, mid, and low; but the mid tone is a default that's not active in the phonology, so I'll treat it here as a lack of tone.

Each mora (roughly, each vowel) of a Bááru word or affix can be associated with a high tone or a low tone. It's entirely a lexical matter which morae in a word get which tones---tones aren't attracted to syllables of any particular sort, and tone melodies don't have any particular status in Bááru phonology.

I said that it's a word's morae that are associated (or not) with tones. For these purposes, only vowels count as moraic---so though there are plenty of languages in which resonant codas get assigned tone, that doesn't happen in Bááru. Further, because a long vowel is bimoraic, it can end up with a contour tone, for example with a high tone on its first mora and a low tone on its second mora. (Contour dissimulation ensures that the only contours tones that surface are high-low and low-high.)

So far that's pretty straightforward. There are two complications: a sort of obligatory contour principle (I'll try to explain what that is below), and affixes that consist entirely of tones, without segmental content. (To be specific, there's a transitivising prefix that consists of a floating low tone, and one of the plural morphemes is a floating high tone.)

2. Autosegmental representations

To start addressing these complications I need to introduce my first bit of theory, an idea or two from autosegmental phonology.

From everything I've said so far, you might think of a tone as a property of a particular vowel or mora. Take the verb óká stand. That's got two morae, or two vowels, and, you might think, two tones. You could think of it like this:
H   H
|   |
μ   μ
|  /|
o k a
The vertical and horizontal lines link segments with morae (μ is for mora) and morae with tones. The k isn't itself moraic, so I group it with the vowel with which it forms a syllable.

Okay, I hope that seems reasonably intuitive---but it's wrong. This is a more accurate representation:
  H
 / \
μ   μ
|  /|
o k a
The difference is that this links the two morae with one and the same high tone; there's just one high tone here, not two.

Here's another example, this one representing sàà eat:
  L
  |\
  μ μ
 /|/
s a
Here, the a gets linked to two morae because it's long; and then those two morae both get linked to one and the same low tone.

Why think this is the right way to think about things?

I'll mention one sort of example that gets given in support of this sort of analysis. I'm getting it from Myers OCP Effects in Optimality Theory (alternatively: a freely accessible draft). bángá is a Shona word meaning knife; it has two syllables with high tones. Now, in Shona, there's a rule (it's an example of an obligatory contour principle) that you cannot have two adjacent high tones. bángá doesn't violate that rule because it's just got one high tone---albeit a high tone that's linked to two syllables. You can see the effects of the rule when bángá is preceded by the high-toned proclitic í: this looks like it should produce a sequence of two genuinely distinct high tones, one on í and one on bángá, but what you actually get is íbanga. The tone on bángá has deleted. And notice: the one deletion removes tone from both of the word's syllables.

Anyway, alternations like that are one reason to like autosegmental representations like the ones I've given above.

3. Floating tones

I said one of the complications is that there are affixes that consist entirely of floating tones. Here's an example with the transitivising prefix (a floaing low tone):
L   H
   / \
  μ   μ
  |  /|
  o k a
There are two inviolable rules in Bááru that together entail that the floating tone will have to get associated with a mora in the stem. Here are the rules:
  • There are no floating tones in surface forms.
  • Tones in affixes don't delete.
(These rules apply cyclically. That means that even if another prefix will be added before ᴸóká, the floating tone has to be dealt with without taking that prefix into account; but also that when that further prefix is added, the floating tone will count as part of the stem, and could end up deleted at that point.)

So the floating low one has to get associated with one of the stem morae---but they are both already associated with a tone. Something has to change.

In principle, it would be possible for an epenthetic vowel to get inserted to host the low tone. Or the initial vowel could lengthen, which would also supply a mora to host the tone. Neither of these things ever happens in Bááru, however.

One possibility would be for the high tone on the stem to delete, leaving ᴸoka. This could then become òka, okà, or òkà, depending on further rules (which I'll come to).

Another possibility is for the stem tone to contract (as I'll say): to dissociate from one of its morae, making way for the low tone, in accordance with the following rule:
  • A tone that can contract will never delete.
Now, you can imagine it dissociating from its second mora, resulting in something like this:
L   H
 \ /
  X
 / \
μ   μ
| /|
o k a
Here we run up against a rule not of Bááru but of autosegmental phonology: association lines cannot cross. The crossing could be eliminated by swapping the two tones, but this is something that never happens in Bááru:
  • The order of tones cannot be changed.
So what you get is what you might have expected from the beginning: the high tone dissociates from its first mora, and the result is òká, like this:
L   H
 \   \
  μ   μ
  |  /|
  o k a
Okay, but suppose that the stem verb were instead ómi leave:
L H
  |
  μ   μ
  |  /|
  o m i
The high tone on ómi cannot contract: if it dissociated from its one mora it would become a floating tone, which as I've already said cannot happen in Bááru. Maybe, then, it has to delete.

Actually there's another possibility: the high tone could move from the o to the i, presumably resulting in òmí. That's actually the solution I favoured during the 48-hour challenge itself. But I don't like the resulting tone shifts nearly as much as I expected I would, so I've changed my mind. So Bááru now has something like these rules:
  • A tone cannot dissociate from its only mora.
  • Only a floating tone can form a new association.
The only remaining possibility is for the high tone on the stem to delete, resulting in ᴸomi. The floating low tone is now free to associate with a stem mora. But which one? Here's the rule I'll adopt:
  • When a floating tone associates with a stem mora, it will associate with the leftmost available mora.
In this case, the result is òmi.

One more example, the plural of toà day, which starts out as toáᴴ. Going by what I've said so far:
  • The floating tone must associate with one of the stem's morae.
  • Without further changes, it cannot associate either with the second mora (because it's already associated with a tone) or with the first mora (because that would require crossed association lines).
  • The stem tone cannot contract, since it is associated with only one mora. Consequently it must delete.
  • The floating tone will then associate with the leftmost available mora. The result is tóa.
4. The obligatory contour principle (OCP)

Obligatory contour principles are common in tone systems (and elsewhere). They require that adjacent items of some sort differ in some way. The obligatory contour principle relevant here takes this form:
  • OCP. Within a tone group, adjacent morae may not be associated with distinct tones of the same quality (i.e., two high tones, or two low tones).
This rules out configurations like this:
H H        L L
| |   or   | |
μ μ        μ μ
Importantly, it does not rule out configurations like this:
  H          L
 /|   or    /|
μ μ        μ μ
I'll start with an example using the 3s class I possession prefix é. Prefixed to éáda daughter, you get the sort of tone clash that the OCP bans:
H   H
|  /|
μ μ μ   μ
| | |  /|
e-e a d a
The rules introduced above suffice: the high tone on the stem can contract, resulting in éeáda her/his daughter. (Actually the process of contour dissimulation then turns that into éèáda.)

Similarly, rules introduced above suffice to determine that é+ápo becomes éapo, with deletion of the stem tone.

áá+éáda our daughter requires a new rule:
  • If one of two adjacent tones must contract, it is the second that contracts, not the first.
The result, then, is, ááeáda.

There's (I think) just one more case that has to be considered. Take the idiom pogá béke living axe. I'll stipulate that a noun and a nonbranching modifier normally fall within a single tone group, so the adjacent high tones constitute a violation of the OCP. Neither tone can contract, so one must delete. But neither tone is in an affix, so the rules introduced so far do not determine with of the two delete. Here's the rule:
  • If one of two adjacent tones must delete, and neither is in an affix, it is the second that deletes, not the first.
The result, then, is pogá beke.

5. Floating tones and the OCP

There's one remaining thing: the rule that floating tones get associated applies before the rule banning OCP violations, and can actually apply in such a way as to create OCP violations.

Here's an example. The noun áhea campfire forms its regular (count noun) plural with a suffixed floating high tone. The rules governing the association of floating tones entail that the result should be áhéa, in which the adjacent high tones violate the OCP. This violation is then repaired by deletion of the stem tone, and the final result is ahéa.

The key point is that the OCP does not constrain the initial association of the floating tone. If it did, you would expect the plural to be áheá.

6. Theoretical coda

The sorts of rules I introduced above, and the uses I put them to, hint a bit at Optimality Theory, and that's no coincidence. But my own instincts are mostly derivational, and I've mostly expressed myself that way. Further, ordering effects play an essential role at a couple of points (e.g., with floating tones getting dealt with before the OCP comes into play), and that sort of thing gets a bit awkward in Optimality Theory, as I understand things.