Idiom Building

Conworlds and conlangs
k1234567890y

Idiom Building

Post by k1234567890y »

We already have a thread for building proverbs; however, despite of the similarities, proverbs are not idioms, and idioms are not proverbs, and I think we should also have a thread for building idioms, or euphemistic way to describe something unpleasant(e.g. death).

Rules:
a person provides an idiom from any natural language, and the next person makes an idiom in their conlang with the same meaning, then provide another idiom for others to build.

If the idiom provided is not an English one, it is recommanded to give a translation or explanation in English.

If you have problems coming up with an idiom, you can go to the wiktionary category for English idioms.

An example:
somebody wrote: to kick the bucket
and I write:
k1234567890y wrote: A conlang project I do for others:

jen haa
to kick the bucket(literally "to travel afar")
First up:
To keep up with the Joneses
Pedant

Re: Idiom Building

Post by Pedant »

k1234567890y wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 am First up:
To keep up with the Joneses
An excellent idea!

Salvian:

Svigdaitan okatvolūs
The phrase is a little difficult to parse. Literally, it would mean “to try and make your ladles improve compared to one another,” but the meaning behind it is a touch trickier. The Classical Salvians had a number of different dishes, but among them were (naturally) soups and stews, so of course ladles were in prime use. Naturally nearby clans and/or families would occasionally come by for dinner, and on those occasions one would bring out the better kitchenware, to try and demonstrate that you were giving them your best. The actual idiom here suggests that the process is futile; the use of the the ablative case instead of the illative case implies that the ladles are already perfectly normal, and don’t need any further adjustment——especially relative to someone else. A polite way of referring to mindless feuds.

Next up: make one’s bed and lie in it (create difficult consequences for oneself and be obliged to suffer accordingly)
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
din

Re: Idiom Building

Post by din »

Mêitioi sîpei ni madei o mîunon
/ˈməːitɕʊi ˈsɪipəi ni ˈmɛðəi ʊ ˈmʏʊnʊn/
break<PERF>-2s glass and walk<IPFV>-2s on shard-PL
Broke the glass and is walking on the shards

---

next:

to give up the ghost
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond