Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Xwtek

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by Xwtek »

How do you change the genitive construction so this construction.

warrior-SG.GEN axe-SG.DIR

Turns into:

warrior-SG.GEN 3SG.SG.GEN axe-SG.DIR
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
k1234567890y

Post by k1234567890y »

Akangka wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 am How do you change the genitive construction so this construction.

Turns into:

I guess this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_genitive

Also, the Classical Chinese possessor marker 之 was actually a 3rd person pronoun, and is the precedent of modern Chinese possessive postposition 的, but the meaning of personal pronoun has lost in modern Chinese.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

k1234567890y wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:10 am Also, the Classical Chinese possessor marker 之 was actually a 3rd person pronoun, and is the precedent of modern Chinese possessive postposition 的, but the meaning of personal pronoun has lost in modern Chinese.
But there's not really any reason to think of 之 or 的 as possession-specific, is there? They're used with attributive phrases of all sorts.

I don't know what relevance it might have, but 之 is specifically an object pronoun (and 的 was never a pronoun of any sort, was it?).
k1234567890y

Post by k1234567890y »

You are right, it is likely that 的 has never been a pronoun, but I think it might lost the meaning as a pronoun in some intermediate stages, maybe I should clarify my words

Also some other languages do also use pronouns directly for possessions:

https://wals.info/chapter/24

The Tiwi example is like the following:

jərəkəpai ŋara tuwaɹa
crocodile he tail(interlinear)
"crocodile's tail
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

k1234567890y wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:10 am
Akangka wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 am How do you change the genitive construction so this construction.

Turns into:

I guess this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_genitive

Also, the Classical Chinese possessor marker 之 was actually a 3rd person pronoun, and is the precedent of modern Chinese possessive postposition 的, but the meaning of personal pronoun has lost in modern Chinese.
No, the problem is not how to insert a possessive pronoun, but is it still realistic if I retain the case of original noun

malloc

Post by malloc »

Furthermore the phonology in my conlang seems remarkably inefficient in terms of feature usage. There are only twelve or so phonemes, making it comparable to Hawai'ian or Cheyenne in scale. Yet the language needs ten features to distinguish all these phonemes and some of those features only distinguish one phoneme. It seems rather extravagant and contrary to the minimalist principles of the language to include the feature [±STRIDENT] for only one phoneme, after all. There are ways to distinguish the phonemes with fewer features, but they require some heterodox analyses and don't capture important phonetic properties.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

malloc wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:54 am Furthermore the phonology in my conlang seems remarkably inefficient in terms of feature usage. There are only twelve or so phonemes, making it comparable to Hawai'ian or Cheyenne in scale. Yet the language needs ten features to distinguish all these phonemes and some of those features only distinguish one phoneme. It seems rather extravagant and contrary to the minimalist principles of the language to include the feature [±STRIDENT] for only one phoneme, after all. There are ways to distinguish the phonemes with fewer features, but they require some heterodox analyses and don't capture important phonetic properties.
Can you post the phonology and the alternations here?

malloc

Post by malloc »

Orthodox analysis:

Code: Select all

LABIAL	CORONAL	DORSAL
					-BACK	+BACK
-SON	-STRID		p	t		k
	+STRID			s
+SON	+NASAL		m	n
	-NASAL	-VOC		l
		+VOC	ʋ		j

-BACK	+BACK	+ROUND
+HIGH	i		u
-HIGH	e		o
+LOW		a
Heterodox analysis:

LABIAL	CORONAL	DORSAL
-SON	-CONT		p	t	k
	+CONT			s
+SON	-CONT		m	n
	+CONT	-VOC		l
		+VOC	ʋ	j

CORONAL	DORSAL	LABIAL
+HIGH	i		u
-HIGH	e	a	o
The heterodox analysis differs notably from how I generally see these sounds described, especially in treating nasality as something added redundantly to sonorant occlusives and ascribing place to vowels. But it does require fewer features and explains some otherwise puzzling patterns in the language.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

malloc wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 pm The heterodox analysis differs notably from how I generally see these sounds described, especially in treating nasality as something added redundantly to sonorant occlusives and ascribing place to vowels. But it does require fewer features and explains some otherwise puzzling patterns in the language.
I was doing some reading recently about place features on vowels and consonants. I'll copy two tables I found in Jaye Padgett, "Consonant-vowel place feature interactions" (The Blackwell Companion to Phonology, 2011). (I'm going to use square-root signs instead of checkmarks because of font/spacing issues.)

First, from Elizabeth Sagey, "The representation of features and relations in nonlinear phonology" (1986):

p  pʲ pʷ t̪  t̪ʲ t̪ʷ k  kʲ kʷ i  y  a  o  u
[LABIAL]         √  √  √        √        √  √  √     √  √
  [round]        -  -  +        +        +  -  +     +  +

[CORONAL]                 √  √  √ 
  [anterior]              +  +  +
  [distributed]           +  +  +

[DORSAL]            √        √     √  √  √  √  √  √  √  √
  [high]            +        +     +  +  +  +  +  -  -  +
  [low]             -        -     -  -  -  -  -  +  -  -
  [back]            -        -     +  -  +  -  -  +  +  +
(Interesting that u gets the same place features as and i as .)

Second, from G.N. Clements, "Place of articulation in consonants and vowels: A unified theory" (1991):

p  pʲ pʷ t̪  t̪ʲ t̪ʷ k  kʲ kʷ ħ  i  y  a  o  u
C-Place [labial]      √  √  √
        [coronal]              √  √  √
        [dorsal]                        √  √  √
        [pharyngeal]                             √

V-Place [labial]            √        √        √        √     √  √
        [coronal]        √        √        √        √  √
        [dorsal]                                          √  √  √
        [pharyngeal]                                      √
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

malloc wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 pm Orthodox analysis:

LABIAL	CORONAL	DORSAL
					-BACK	+BACK
-SON	-STRID		p	t		k
	+STRID			s
+SON	+NASAL		m	n
	-NASAL	-VOC		l
		+VOC	ʋ		j

-BACK	+BACK	+ROUND
+HIGH	i		u
-HIGH	e		o
+LOW		a
Heterodox analysis:

LABIAL	CORONAL	DORSAL
-SON	-CONT		p	t	k
	+CONT			s
+SON	-CONT		m	n
	+CONT	-VOC		l
		+VOC	ʋ	j

CORONAL	DORSAL	LABIAL
+HIGH	i		u
-HIGH	e	a	o
The heterodox analysis differs notably from how I generally see these sounds described, especially in treating nasality as something added redundantly to sonorant occlusives and ascribing place to vowels. But it does require fewer features and explains some otherwise puzzling patterns in the language.
Somewhat unrelated question: why is it important to have a featural analysis here? What can this do that simply listing by POA/MOA cannot?

(Then again, I know almost nothing about featural analysis, so I suspect there's some obvious answer here that I don't know...)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm Somewhat unrelated question: why is it important to have a featural analysis here? What can this do that simply listing by POA/MOA cannot?

(Then again, I know almost nothing about featural analysis, so I suspect there's some obvious answer here that I don't know...)
It can be good to have a handle on this sort of stuff if you want phonological interactions between vowels and consonants. (In my case, the thing was epenthetic consonants. In some contexts, I wanted k to show up, which isn't especially common, cross-linguistically, and now my semi-official justification is that this happens before u and a, both of which are [+back], like k.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

akam chinjir wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 pm
bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm Somewhat unrelated question: why is it important to have a featural analysis here? What can this do that simply listing by POA/MOA cannot?

It can be good to have a handle on this sort of stuff if you want phonological interactions between vowels and consonants. (In my case, the thing was epenthetic consonants. In some contexts, I wanted k to show up, which isn't especially common, cross-linguistically, and now my semi-official justification is that this happens before u and a, both of which are [+back], like k.)
Interesting! Do you know any resources where I can learn about this topic?

akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

I'd guess your best bet is a phonology textbook. Maybe Hayes, Introductory Phonology? I've mostly picked things up here and there over the years, so I don't have a strong opinion about textbooks. I did just read through Bale and Reiss, Phonology: A Formal Introduction, which I got a lot out of; it's very opinionated in ways you might find infuriating, though.

With some understanding of the basics, there are a few handbooks and such that include lots of helpful articles. I've recently read a bunch from The Blackwell Companion to Phonology, which is great if you can get access to it.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

akam chinjir wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:54 am I'd guess your best bet is a phonology textbook. Maybe Hayes, Introductory Phonology? I've mostly picked things up here and there over the years, so I don't have a strong opinion about textbooks. I did just read through Bale and Reiss, Phonology: A Formal Introduction, which I got a lot out of; it's very opinionated in ways you might find infuriating, though.

With some understanding of the basics, there are a few handbooks and such that include lots of helpful articles. I've recently read a bunch from The Blackwell Companion to Phonology, which is great if you can get access to it.
Thank you!

akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

If I've got progressive nasal harmony, and among the consonants that this can affect are ʋ and w, and the language also has m, how likely is it that ʋ̃ will be/remain phonologically/phonetically distinct?
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

akam chinjir wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 am If I've got progressive nasal harmony, and among the consonants that this can affect are ʋ and w, and the language also has m, how likely is it that ʋ̃ will be/remain phonologically/phonetically distinct?
If you have /ŋ/ or /ŋʷ/, then it's likely that it will be phonologically distinct. For former, you can say /ɰ/ > /w/, except when nasalized, because /ɰ̃/ > /ŋ/. The latter is even easier.

akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

But I've got /ʋ/, not /ɰ/. (I do have ŋʷ though.)
Curlyjimsam

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Akangka wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05 amNo, the problem is not how to insert a possessive pronoun, but is it still realistic if I retain the case of original noun
I can't see it being very likely at all if all genitive marking on nouns remains unchanged. Perhaps if the genitive endings for a sizeable number of nouns undergo a lot of phonological reduction or merge with other endings then the possessive pronoun strategy could come about as a way to save the unambiguous marking of possessive function.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

akam chinjir wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:02 am But I've got /ʋ/, not /ɰ/. (I do have ŋʷ though.)
I mean /*ɰ/ turns to current /w/, so it appears that /w/ turns into /ŋ/ while diachronically, it's actually /*ɰ/ turns into /ŋ/ when nasalized, but /w/ elsewhere.

akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Akangka wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:17 am I mean /*ɰ/ turns to current /w/, so it appears that /w/ turns into /ŋ/ while diachronically, it's actually /*ɰ/ turns into /ŋ/ when nasalized, but /w/ elsewhere.
Okay, I can see how that would work, but I actually like [w̃] and would prefer to keep it, my worry is about [ʋ̃].