Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by Travis B. »

StG /eː/ also often sounds like StG /iː/ to my ears, as my native /eɪ/ is a rather open monophthong probably best described as [e̞] or even [ɛ̝].
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Also, some people in the Northeast (notably Philly) have noticeable allophony for FACE, with an open diphthong [ɛɪ] word-finally and a closer one [eɪ ~ e:] before most consonants. Which means that, for them, days [dɛɪz] may be distinct from daze [de:z].
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 amAs for "egg", I found eye-dialect spellings like "aig" baffling for years because how else would you say this? [ɛg] sounded totally New Yawk to me, I didn't think it belonged to GA. Leg and egg don't rhyme with smeg IMD.
I find large amounts of eye-dialect spellings baffling, because they don't show any difference with standard pronunciation. What's the point of writing yer, ta in a character's bubble, in a context when everybody would use a schwa anyway?? To make the character seem uneducated with a completely unfair method???
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ryusenshi wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm Also, some people in the Northeast (notably Philly) have noticeable allophony for FACE, with an open diphthong [ɛɪ] word-finally and a closer one [eɪ ~ e:] before most consonants. Which means that, for them, days [dɛɪz] may be distinct from daze [de:z].
I notice this with /oʊ/ here, which when final or before a vowel, particularly utterance-finally, is often a strongly diphthongal [ou] if given some stress (but [ɵ] if fully unstressed), but before a consonantis normally a monophthongal [o].
Last edited by Travis B. on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ryusenshi wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm I find large amounts of eye-dialect spellings baffling, because they don't show any difference with standard pronunciation. What's the point of writing yer, ta in a character's bubble, in a context when everybody would use a schwa anyway?? To make the character seem uneducated with a completely unfair method???
This baffles me too, for that very reason.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Hmm, I don't always use schwa in those contexts.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Vijay wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 pm Hmm, I don't always use schwa in those contexts.
Same here - but my reduced pronunciations are so frequent that I would say they are the default pronunciations for me.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

I certainly don't have BIRD in "your" or a low vowel in "to", no matter how destressed the words are. But some people do. Some people do even when the words are not strongly destressed. So to me, weird spellings like "yer" and "ta" do indicate a non-standard dialect.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 am German /eː/ sound almost indistiguishable from /iː/ to me
same
As for "egg", I found eye-dialect spellings like "aig" baffling for years because how else would you say this? [ɛg] sounded totally New Yawk to me, I didn't think it belonged to GA. Leg and egg don't rhyme with smeg IMD.
It's also a completed sound change for me - p/ej/nguin, G/e/nghis.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Salmoneus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm I certainly don't have BIRD in "your" or a low vowel in "to", no matter how destressed the words are. But some people do. Some people do even when the words are not strongly destressed. So to me, weird spellings like "yer" and "ta" do indicate a non-standard dialect.
I don't have a low vowel in unstressed to either - the vowel is [ə], not, say, [ɐ], but normally eye-dialect word-final unstressed <a> indicates [ə] to me.
missals

Post by missals »

Ryusenshi wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm I find large amounts of eye-dialect spellings baffling, because they don't show any difference with standard pronunciation. What's the point of writing yer, ta in a character's bubble, in a context when everybody would use a schwa anyway?? To make the character seem uneducated with a completely unfair method???
Some Spanish speakers use eye-"dialect" spellings like "estoy aki" that are literally identical to the standard pronunciation, just to suggest that the speaker is uneducated.
mae

Post by mae »

-
Last edited by mae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Not really the same thing, but in some varieties of Romani (the one that comes to mind for me instantly is French Kalderash (Vlax) Romani), the 3SG form has been generalized to an infinitive after the complementizer te.

Most varieties of Romani have the typical structure of languages spoken in the Balkans, e.g. mangav te dikhav 'I want to see', literally meaning 'I want that I see'.

But in these varieties, they instead say mangav te dikhel for 'I want to see' even though that literally means 'I want that [3SG subject] sees'.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

The past tense in the entire Germanic family is an example, also due to phonological change. Here it was apocope of non-high vowels, the 1sg being *-a < *h₂e, the 3sg being *-e.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:56 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 am As for "egg", I found eye-dialect spellings like "aig" baffling for years because how else would you say this? [ɛg] sounded totally New Yawk to me, I didn't think it belonged to GA. Leg and egg don't rhyme with smeg IMD.
It's also a completed sound change for me - p/ej/nguin, G/e/nghis.
I personally only have raising of /æŋ/ and, in just length and strength (but not penguin or Genghis), /ɛŋ/. (I honestly am not sure what people here have overall, but I know some people have raising of /æg/ and/or /ɛg/ in some words.)
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Ryusenshi wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm
Raphael wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm Is in "capitalist", in the English language, someone who politically supports capitalism, or someone who practices capitalism by running a business?
Either, or both, depending on which axe you have to grind. You can also equivocate between the two, if you need a bad argument.
https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch ... 4566467734 <--- back in the news
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

How does this sentence read to y'all?
Italian authorities ordered that the ship was seized and launched an investigation into the alleged aiding of clandestine immigration.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm How does this sentence read to y'all?
Italian authorities ordered that the ship was seized and launched an investigation into the alleged aiding of clandestine immigration.
"was" definitely seems wrong to me. "be" is fine, maybe a bit fancy. "ordered the ship to be seized"?
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

It should read "ship be seized"; the sentence as it stands is completely ungrammatical to my ear. Akam chinjir's suggestion "to be seized" wouldn't be grammatically incorrect but still sounds off to me, especially in a journalistic context.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Some googling suggests that "ordered that the ship was to be seized" is the most common variant (that I can think of, anyway).
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

"Ordered that the ship be seized"

Or, perhaps better,

"Ordered the ship seized"