Quechua book poll

Natural languages and linguistics

What kind of Quechua book would you like to see?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Reference grammar
36%
Language learning textbook
13%
Comparative grammar of Quechua family
51%

Total votes: 53

zompist
Site Admin

Quechua book poll

Post by zompist »

Some of you may have seen this on my Twitter, but what the heck.

Background: I wrote a grammar and dictionary for myself long ago, but they need a lot of work. I'm conflicted on what type of book is most useful though, so I thought I'd get a feel for what possible readers want.

(You can vote for 2, but it's not very useful to me to get an answer of "write them all", so you can't vote for 3!)
Vijay

Re: Quechua book poll

Post by Vijay »

I actually can't access Twitter despite technically having an account on it (because I live with my parents, and my dad blocked a bunch of websites on my computer years ago, including Twitter. Later, he tried to unblock them, but when I pointed out to him that he forgot to unblock Twitter, he didn't believe me, so here we are), so I'm glad you posted it here, too.

Cusco Quechua is a language (variety?) I've specifically been trying to study for years, so I need all the textbooks I can get on it (the best resource I know of so far for Quechua is in Spanish, and it's for Ayacucho Quechua, so...). I haven't had much success with it yet (unsurprisingly), but at least I know it better than Mapudungun, which I've also been trying to study (with much, much less success).

Añay! (Do people actually say that, or is that not how people say 'thank you'?)
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I personally find that language learning resources are harder to use than reference grammars, since it's much easier to find things in a reference grammar than a learning textbook, since the learning textbook will more than likely skip around a lot and not cover the entirety of each topic in one contiguous run of lessons.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Vijay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:17 pmAñay! (Do people actually say that, or is that not how people say 'thank you'?)
Without opening too many books and documents... yes, that's one way. In Ayacucho you can say pay. There's also yusulpayki, which I believe is Spanish (Dios le pague with a Quechua ending).
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Oh okay, añay!

For whatever it's worth, while I voted for a textbook and that's what I'd prefer of the three options, I'm sure any one of the three options would be useful in reality. :)
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

I would love to see a Comparative Grammar for the simple reason that Quechuan is under-appreciated as a family, as opposed to the Cusco standard which is taken as representative of the whole family.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Frislander wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:50 am I would love to see a Comparative Grammar for the simple reason that Quechuan is under-appreciated as a family, as opposed to the Cusco standard which is taken as representative of the whole family.
Plus it’s likely to be more marketable...haven’t seen a comparative grammar of the Quechuan family before, just a dictionary comparing three dialects.
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

You could sort of have elements of #2 even if you decide on 3
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

How do you make a poll?
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

It's in the forum settings. I think zompist currently only allows himself to create polls.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

This thread reminds me that they were looking for someone to translate Pachacuti's dialogue from Civ6 Gathering Storm on the Civfanatics forum if someone feels up to taking a crack at it. I tried Dido's dialogue but found my Punic not remotely up to the task--not least of all because the VA was basically speaking Israeli Hebrew with a "Phoenician accent," if you will. :P
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

A bit of a bug... it looks like you can vote twice. On the other hand, I can't vote for three options at once, which at least shows that that bit of code is working properly.

EDIT: Oh - looks like that when you vote twice it removes your previous vote before it adds your current vote, so it's not a bug after all.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

A quick googling shows that Quechua reference grammars are actually a dime a dozen, surprisingly. But a birds eye view of Quechua, Aymara, and their various dialects would be something unique.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Aymara isn't part of the Quechua family, though, so I'm pretty sure that's not one of the options that was proposed.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Thanks for the votes, everyone!

The Twitter poll was for the ref grammar, but you guys are pretty strongly for the comparative grammar. Interesting!

I have grammars of Aymara and Jaqaru, so I could include information about them.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm I have grammars of Aymara and Jaqaru, so I could include information about them.
That would be quite interesting too - I've heard they have some fascinating morphophonology. As mentioned on the Arrakum thread on the old board:
Risla wrote: There is a great deal of fuckery with vowel moras in Arrakum. This is directly inspired by the many hours I have done making ??? faces while trying to analyze Aymara mora adjustment in Optimality Theory (I said people could read the analysis in question, but it is so bad that I'm not letting anyone see it), and also by the intricate and eldritch patterns of its sister language Jaqaru.
[...]
I've been working idly on a summary of Aymara morphophonology directed at conlangers (it's got both complex mora adjustment processes, like what I'm absconding with, and intramorphemic laryngeal harmony, both of which are super interesting). Aymara suffixes only (~only~) specify mora deletion or addition (or lack of change) to stem-final vowels, but a number of them also specify the status of their own vowels in neutral environments without a following specifying suffix or syntactic position. There are seven (!) different suffixes in Aymara /-ta/ with different morphophonological properties, given below, [...] preceding subscript C means deleted stem-final vowel, preceding subscript V means retained stem-final vowel, preceding subscript colon means lengthened vowel, following subscript C means obligatorily deleted vowel in neutral contexts (yes, Aymara suffixes can morphologically specify deletion on themselves!) and following subscript V means obligatorily retained vowel in neutral contexts.
[...]
Aymara is a near-isolate; its only living relative is Jaqaru, which is the exact opposite of helpful for figuring this stuff out, since Jaqaru is even weirder (in essentially every regard; you should see its assorted series of affricates at PoAs between alveolar and velar...), and since these bizarre deletion patterns happen in both languages, it's hard to reconstruct an ancestor without them, and thus it's hard to reconstruct how these patterns might have arisen.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)