A little reconstruction game

Conworlds and conlangs
bradrn

Re: A little reconstruction game

Post by bradrn »

Nortaneous wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 am ʔɐɪ ~ ɔɪd- ~ əː- ~ æɪtʃ < Eng. eat
m̊ɐɪ ~ mɔɪd ~ məːt ~ moɪ < Eng. meat
vaːðɛːɾæ ~ βɑʒɪteɾjɪː ~ βäːtsəɾn ~ ʋɑːʃɛɾ < Eng. vegetarian

A: ʔeːse ɾɛɸɐɪ wæ ʔaː ʒæ sɑ vuːɾ < ? repeat what I just (said?) (before??)
B: ɾɛpɔɪd nɑʊ wäd æɪð sɑð < repeat now what I'[d/ve] said
C: ɾɛpəːt dʒi nə: wæt æɪd säd ɜt < repeat (you?) now what I'[d/ve] said it
D: ɹpæɪ ji dɑːn wɛ æɪf dʒɛs sɑːt repeat (you?) (then?) what I've just said

Then again, 3:
A: ʔaː zɐɪ
B: æɪð sɔɪð
C: æɪd səːd
D: äːf sæɪ
But how do we know this is related to English? Have I missed something?

(On the other hand, if it is related to English, then this does make sense.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Is language 2 Geriniz in disguise?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

bradrn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:07 am But how do we know this is related to English? Have I missed something?
As Sal said, think of it as "we've found these prehistoric inscriptions - we know the script so we're confident what they sound like, but we don't know what they mean." If you find a sentence with the words "wadar" and "ezzateni", and conjecture that maybe these are related to "water" and "eat", this could turn out to be useful!

Especially in combination with similar-looking morphological elements, like -d -v -z.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Are people still working on this? I'm following this thread, although I don't have anything to contribute myself.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Qwynegold wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 pm Are people still working on this? I'm following this thread, although I don't have anything to contribute myself.
I've posted my theories. The basic phonological nature of the protolang is pretty well understood. But I think working out the syntax and vocabulary of the protolang is impossible without identifying specific morphemes, which is where I and others hit a wall.

I ran a few experiments that didn't get posted here, to try and determine what we can guess about the syntax. I looked at word frequencies, frequencies of words appearing together, and the order of constituents, and used WALS to see if there were any clues from these patterns that could tell us parts of speech. But sadly, unless we can confirm that these are distant children of present-day English, it's impossible to say for certain what the significance of these patterns might be.

As you can see from my previous comment, I also shamefully checked Sal's blog to see if there were any languages from his futuristic setting that fit the languages presented. So there is some activity behind the scenes, but I think it's safe to say this thread isn't going to yield a detailed description of the protolang without more information. Sal, if you're reading this, I like the idea of not giving us glosses or translations, but maybe if we had more sentences we could run some computational analysis on them. If we had some knowledge of the context (are these unearthed religious texts?) we might even be able to infer something about TAM or vocabulary.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Allright, I see. Have the phonologies of the daughterlangs been worked out then?
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

I'm sorry; as you may have noticed, I've not been around here as much as in the past, lately. I've been having less time online, and also a little less free time in total, and my attentions have been elsewhere.

I intend to come back to this at some point, but only when I have enough time and attention to deal with it properly.