Kisimbi Thread: The Syllabary; Numbers

Conworlds and conlangs
Pedant

Re: Kisimbi Thread: Basic Syntax Part 1

Post by Pedant »

Vardelm wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm I like the demonstratives since I haven't seen egocentric or alterocentric demonstratives before. It's like the inclusive/exclusive distinction you see in 2nd person personal pronouns. Cool.

Also, the noun class system is inspirational since I'm working on a conlang w/ Bantu-esque concords.
Many thanks! I'll go more into details about how Kisimbi uses them in a later Syntax section. In the meantime, I might try to do a bit of cultural development...
As to your own language-work, I salute you and wish you the best of luck in your endeavours!
evmdbm wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:49 pm Very different from anything I know anything about, but interesting for all that!

Practical question: how do you do these tables? I cannot work it out and there would be a lot of nominal and verb declension and conjugation tables for Vedreki and Cheyadeneen if I ever put things up on a scratchpad
Many thanks to you as well!

Practical answer: to create a table, click "table" on the bar at the top of the reply page, and you should get something like [table][/table]. Inside that, click on "rowh" (for the top row with coloured-in boxes) or "row" (for general rows). Inside the rows, click "cellh" (for coloured cells) or "cell" (for regular cells) as many times as you want to create your table. Say, for example, I wanted to create the table:
ElementsHotCold
WetAirWater
DryFireEarth

The code would be:

[table][rowh][cellh]Elements[/cellh][cellh]Hot[/cellh][cellh]Cold[/cellh][/rowh]
[row][cellh]Wet[/cellh][cell]Air[/cell][cell]Water[/cell][/row]
[row][cellh]Dry[/cellh][cell]Fire[/cell][cell]Earth[/cell][/row][/table]

Hope this helps!
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Vardelm wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm I like the demonstratives since I haven't seen egocentric or alterocentric demonstratives before. It's like the inclusive/exclusive distinction you see in 2nd person personal pronouns. Cool.
PS. I'm not actually sure if these are their proper names, they were the best I could come up with on short notice.
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Pedant wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 pmPS. I'm not actually sure if these are their proper names, they were the best I could come up with on short notice.
I haven't seen this in natlangs, so I don't know if there IS a proper name.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I'm pretty sure you invented this, but it looks naturalistic enough. Wouldn't be too surprised if ANADEW
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

mèþru wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm I'm pretty sure you invented this, but it looks naturalistic enough. Wouldn't be too surprised if ANADEW
Ooh, conlanger terminology!

Okay, I've been using this site as a source of most of the basic grammatical information about Proto-Bantu and thus Kisimbi. The demonstratives are on page 107 for reference.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Having a near-me / near-you / over-there distinction in demonstratives is fairly common, I think. I don't remember seeing an inclusive-1+2 version (near us), but I agree it seems reasonable (and a reasonable guess how to interpret the distinctions drawn in the Bantu grammar).
Pedant

Re: Kisimbi Thread: "Seven Kills" Poem

Post by Pedant »

A possible TRANSLATION: "SEVEN KILLS" POEM

This, for some reason, seems to be floating around a lot. I asked about it, I now have access to the original, and voilà!

Jaombe mutukele gasa maguma da Bantu bamakarue.
God 5-bring.forth-PRESPERF multitude 4-all so.that 2-human 2-nurture-PASS-SUBJ
Bantu bakabaosi kugarua majija bamungasonka Jaombe.
2-human 2-NEG-able INF-bring.back 6-good(object) 2-1-COND-pay.back God
Bua. Bua. Bua. Bua. Bua. Bua. Bua.
Kill-IMP // Kill-IMP // Kill-IMP // Kill-IMP // Kill-IMP // Kill-IMP // Kill-IMP

Vocabulary
Baosa "to be able" (*báac)
Da "so that" (*dà)
Garua, garud- "to bring back" (*gàdʊd)
Gasa (5/6) "multitude (animate and/or inanimate)" (Wasiketian *ʕa∫a)
-guma "all" (*gùmá)
Jaombe (1/2) "God" (*jààmbé)
-jija "good (of objects)" (*jìjá)
Makao, makad- "to nurture" (Wasiketian *mahar)
Muntu (1/2) "person" (*ntu)
Sonka "to pay tribute; to pay back a debt" (*sònk)
Tuka "to create (as a divinity)" (*túk)
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

mèþru wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm I'm pretty sure you invented this, but it looks naturalistic enough. Wouldn't be too surprised if ANADEW
In deixis, the answer is usually ANADEMMW.

Theoretically, we can distinguish four possible general deictic systems: distance-oriented, dual, split, and person-oriented.

Distance-oriented systems only encode relative (never absolute!) distance from the deictic centre. These systems are always small - no language encodes more than six degrees of distance. The terms here are proximal, medial and distal (I don't know what words you use when there are up to four medial degrees...).

Person-oriented systems encode location relative to persons. The terms here are egoproximal (near speaker), alloproximal (near addressee), heteroproximal (near a third person) an ambidistal (far from everybody). However, heteroproximal is very rare (although can be mimicked in many languages by overt centre-shifting).

Dual systems equate distance-oriented and person-oriented terms. ALL languages equate proximal and egoproximal. Many languages equate medial with alloproximal. Indeed, apparently some argue that there are no 'pure' distance-oriented languages at all, and that all have some degree of person-oriented use in practice.

However, some languages intentionall separate distance-oriented and person-oriented systems - their systems are split. So, apparently Korean has a proximal/egoproximal (near me), an alloproximal (near you) and a distal/allodistal (not near either of us) - with the alloproximal never being used as a medial.

What Pedant's language has, however, is something else: an "ambiproximal" (near to both of us). And, sure enough, a small number of languages in the Philippines, including Cebuano, are reported as having this: they have four degrees, an egoproximal, an alloproximal, an ambiproximal and an ambidistal.

[I doubt these terms are universal, btw, but they are at least used]

Also worth pointing out: "distance" is usually a combination of pure (relative) distance and perceived control. Non-spatial connexions are often included (eg biological or legal ties), and distinctions often relate to physical contact, and to manipulability (eg an object with handles is often considered closer to you than a purely round one, even if the object with handles is physically further away).

---------------

It's worth pausing to think what this means, though. Because whether this pen is only near me, or near both you and me, is not really a fact about the pen, but a fact about your (perceived or described) closeness to me. I suspect this sort of deictic would often end up as something more sociological, indexing our relationship. [for instance, would it be rude to describe a pen as "near both of us" if talking to the Queen? Would it seem cold and distant to describe something as "near me but not you" when talking to a lover?] Alternatively, these terms may be anchored in more specific rules. For instance, just as the medial often only starts to be used when dealing with two or more objects (a non-proximal object is often distal, no matter how close, until compared to an object even further away when it instead becomes medial - or vice versa), the use of the ambiproximal may be conditioned by the locations of second objects and/or third persons. I don't know how Cebuano (etc) handle this.

-----------

Looking further, Cebuano's system may be reinforced by its other aspects. Deictic adverbs in Cebuano inflect for tense, but as well as past, present and future there's a fourth tense used for motion verbs and verbs implying a further motion event. In this tense, the spatial degree is the degree of the goal of the motion - therefore it makes sense to say, in essence, "he's coming here (near me but not you)" or "he's coming here (near both of us)". Although the adjectival deictics don't have this function, it may help them maintain their ambiproximal by analogy?
------

But it's important to note that deixis is a very rich and complex area, which most conlangers completely ignore, presumably because Indo-European almost completely ignores it. Even confining ourselves to spatial deixis, there are many systems far richer than that of English. Where English has "this", "that", "these" and "those", for example, Malagasy, even considering only the spatial deictic adjectives, has 84 forms - there are 14 spatial degrees (compared to 2 in English), plus number agreement, plus mandatory inflexion for three tenses. The record, however, is an Inuit dialect, with 88 spatial degrees.

[it may be helpful to think of spatial deictics as the equivalent of verb TAM in some ways. Malagasy spatial deictics, as well as marking actual tense, have been theorised to mark several categories analogous to TAM: they certainly mark visibility (a form of evidentiality), and have been argued to also mark extension vs punctuality (a spatial analog to perfective/imperfective); other languages famous mark absolute geographical axes on their deictics, analogous to tense marking.]
akam chinjir

Re: Kisimbi Thread: "Seven Kills" Poem

Post by akam chinjir »

Salmoneus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm But it's important to note that deixis is a very rich and complex area, which most conlangers completely ignore, presumably because Indo-European almost completely ignores it. Even confining ourselves to spatial deixis, there are many systems far richer than that of English. Where English has "this", "that", "these" and "those", for example, Malagasy, even considering only the spatial deictic adjectives, has 84 forms - there are 14 spatial degrees (compared to 2 in English), plus number agreement, plus mandatory inflexion for three tenses. The record, however, is an Inuit dialect, with 88 spatial degrees.
On the one hand, I want to note that WALS implies that a huge majority of languages have at most a three-way contrast.

On the other, that chapter is explicitly excluding non-spatial distinctions such as visibility, and it seems to be quite aggressive about what it excludes. To take an extreme example, it codes what I assume is the same form of Inuktitut has having only a two-way contrast---this for a system that distinguishes between at and away from the deictic centre; has an above/below/inside/outside/horizontally-separated distinction in the away-from forms; distinguishes pointlike from extended locations; and has a prefix that shifts the deictic centre. (The WALS citation is to a page in Denny, Semantics of the Inuktitut (Eskimo) Spatial Deictics (JSTOR), and the most prominent thing on that page is a diagram that shows all that detail, and even a bit more.)

WALS!
[it may be helpful to think of spatial deictics as the equivalent of verb TAM in some ways. Malagasy spatial deictics, as well as marking actual tense, have been theorised to mark several categories analogous to TAM: they certainly mark visibility (a form of evidentiality), and have been argued to also mark extension vs punctuality (a spatial analog to perfective/imperfective); other languages famous mark absolute geographical axes on their deictics, analogous to tense marking.]
This is very interesting to me! The ideal of spatial aspect reminds me of classifier systems, a bit, I wonder if you ever get the two systems feeding each other.
Pedant

Re: Kisimbi Thread: The Syllabary and Numbers

Post by Pedant »

A note on THE SYLLABARY AND NUMBERS

The Kisimbi Syllabary

The Kisimbi Syllabary (Ikási "our glyphs"; also Bisóno waBarúme, "Badume symbols"), originally derived from Wasiketian hieroglyphs, is the most commonly-used writing system across the Jungle Federation, in competition with Wasiketian demotic (from which it is derived), the *Zulu umbhalo wotshani or "grass script" (a semanto-phonetic system written with quagga-hair brushes), the *Arabic Third Era Cuneiform, the Vittaurian alphabet, the Nandiguese Block Script (not unlike Hangul), and the *Maori abugida. The original Wasiketian hieroglyphs were painted onto bark books (bimajá) or pottery, and initially this was applied to their Demotic script as well (spelling things out character-by-character with a marker at the beginning to represent the actual word). When the Basimbi moved in, they adopted a similar style, until during the late 4th Millennium it was noted that it was just as easy to scratch markings onto the leaves of palm trees (bibále) when out on jungle expeditions, and they lasted about as long. So the old bark books went out, and palm-leaf scrolls and codexes were in, with the added consequence that the script became far less angular than before (so as not to make holes in the palm leaves). Today, the writing utensil of choice is still the stylus (yao), but the writing material is paper--pulped palm fibres reinforced with ground-up calcium carbonate for choice, although other types of paper are seen as perfectly viable as well.
The Kisimbi version is markedly conservative; other variations across the Jungle Federation have taken to creating interesting ligatures and variations on the letters to better transcribe their languages and the languages of others, but the Basimbi seem content with their system, only using the fancier ligatures when teaching other languages.
The glyphs represent the basic characters of Fourth Millennium Kibungo, with some adjustment for spelling changes over the next two thousand years but not enough that the language would be incomprehensible to a scribe from that time. Pardon the resemblance to chicken-scratch, the characters should look better but I'm still not that good with a drawing tablet.

Below, a rendition of the "Seven Kills" poem from earlier (again, pardon the uneven writing):

Kisimbi Numbers

And finally, a list of numbers in Kisimbi. The original forms were mere scratches representing the Basimbi habit of counting on the hands (left hand, right index finger touching the others from thumb to little, then a repeat of the same to get to ten), but over time the forms were simplified using a shorthand that appeared during the 44th Century. The number zero (ukárundu) is derived from the -U- glyph. More complicated numerical transactions will be described in the numbers section.

See cardinal numbers for a translation.
A quick note on decimal places: the general policy is to place a ten-marker if there are numbers larger than zero two or more decimal places apart OR one number with an uninterrupted link to the end of the number. So, for example, ba-dóngo "twenty" would be written as 2-10, ba-dóngo-móli"twenty-one" as 2-1, ba-káma-móli "201" as 2-0-1, ba-kútu "2,000" as 2-1K, ba-kútu-móli "2,001" as 2-1K-1, etc. The tens are increased until a million, and then it becomes compulsory to include one at the appropriate place and carry on from there; for example six-billion two-million forty-thousand ninety one (6,002,040,091) would be written 6-1K-2-1M-0-4-10K-9-1.

Hope you like it!
Spell Merchant | Patreon