The Great Macrofamily thread: Indo-Uralic, Altaic, Eurasiatic, Nostratic etc.

Natural languages and linguistics
Howl

The Great Macrofamily thread: Indo-Uralic, Altaic, Eurasiatic, Nostratic etc.

Post by Howl »

Tropylium wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:35 pm (Side note: we're probably ripe for a fork into a Great Indo-Uralic Thread about six posts ago.)
I agree. But I liked the great macrofamily thread like the previous board had. So here is a thread for all the proposed macrofamilies.
WeepingElf wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:14 pm I am now also growing increasingly skeptical of Seefloth's Paradigm. The paradigms compared by Seefloth may just be parallel developments of Northern Samoyedic and Eskimo - perhaps built from cognate Mitian morphemes, but not as such reconstructible for Proto-Mitian.
My own view is that the Mitian language was mostly analytical, and the agglutatinative paradigms were later innovations. The person markers of the verbal conjugations are mostly derived from the personal pronouns. The -h2 also appears in the 2nd person -th2a, so it was likely something like an intransitive marker and not a person marker.
KathTheDragon

Re: The Great Macrofamily thread: Indo-Uralic, Altaic, Eurasiatic, Nostratic etc.

Post by KathTheDragon »

In my opinion, the best candidate for a cognate paradigm to the *h₂ series of endings is the Afro-Asiatic "stative" endings - cf. Akkadian *-ku *-ta *-Ø, Egyptian -kw -tj -w. Of course, comparing PIE and PAA is... well, not particularly fruitful.
WeepingElf

Re: The Great Macrofamily thread: Indo-Uralic, Altaic, Eurasiatic, Nostratic etc.

Post by WeepingElf »

@Howl: It seems to be fashionable among Nostraticists to reconstruct Proto-Nostratic as an analytic language, but the Mitian languages are generally synthetic, ranging from agglutinating to fusional, so I think an agglutinating Proto-Mitian language is more plausible. I have the feeling that Proto-Uralic is especially conservative (though Bomhard at least rejects that notion); the Uralo-Siberian phonology reconstructed by Fortescue, which is quite similar to, but not the same as, the PU one, perhaps gives a good idea of what Proto-Mitian phonology may have looked like, a better one IMHO than the large inventories proposed by both Nostraticist camps, which are bloated by the IMHO questionable inclusions of Kartvelian, Dravidiian and Afrasian.

@Kath: The IE h2e-endings do show a similarity to certain AA paradigms, but otherwise, the IE-AA connection seems very unpromising to me. What lexical resemblances exist between IE and Semitic seem to be agricultural Wanderwörter.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Yeah, that's why I said it's not very fruitful - which is an absolute shame, because the morphological correspondence is very intriguing. That said, there are other weirdly specific lexical matches, such as Egyptian ḫnt "face" ~ PIE *h₂ent- "forehead", which can't be so easily explained away.
Ryan of Tinellb

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pm ..., there are other weirdly specific lexical matches, such as Egyptian ḫnt "face" ~ PIE *h₂ent- "forehead", which can't be so easily explained away.
zompist.com wrote: How likely are chance resemblances between languages? - Quite likely, really.
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

and here we have a wild Isolationist thinking that they're saying something new and insightful
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Tropylium wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 am and here we have a wild Isolationist thinking that they're saying something new and insightful
Okay, less snarkily: probably everyone in this thread already knows that look-alikes without supporting data aren't really worth much. However, any good look-alike is still very much a reason to go at least looking for other parallels. Dismissing hypotheses immediately out of hand before they've been tested in any detail is a great way to never learn anything new.

And I would also hope for people to know that "IE is related to Egyptian" is not some wild new idea picked out of thin air just now, it's a long-established theory already elaborated in several monographs spanning thousands of pages. Which are of sketchy average quality, to be sure, but obviously if that includes even ten pages of data of similar quality as this, then we would seem to be getting somewhere.

How many good quality cognates does it really take to show relatedness? Consider something like the affiliation of Samoyedic as Uralic. The classic reconstruction of Proto-Uralic vocalism by Janhunen operates with just a pinch under 100 cognates showing regular sound correspondences. And that's a full reconstruction, not just demonstration-of-relatedness. Originally M. A. Castrén did the former already in 1846, by means of some 120 Nenets-Finnish comparisons, with no coherent sound correspondences yet; about two thirds of them have turned out to be wrong or at least irregular-enough-to-be-dismissible, but about a third are regardless right. Or, even earlier, in the 1700s G. F. Müller had done a survey (unpublished until a review by Helimski in 1986) of basic vocabulary comparisons between Hungarian and other Uralic languages; this includes 13 examples from Samoyedic, of which 6 are correct. Maybe by now this is little enough to not really show relatedness, esp. since he also has 18 Hungarian-Tatar comparanda (some wrong, most loans), but obviously it is still enough to keep investigating further.

This kind of a thing is why I do not like blanket dismissal of Nostraticists: having one or ten or 75% junk etymologies does not invalidate the rest of the evidence. Though, on the other hand, it's also why I wish pro-macro-comparison people would move from quantity to quality…
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pmThat said, there are other weirdly specific lexical matches, such as Egyptian ḫnt "face" ~ PIE *h₂ent- "forehead", which can't be so easily explained away.
To drill into this case in some more detail: I've a WIP index of Bomhard's Nostratic roots, as some of you may know. About every one out of six has both an Egyptian and a well-established (i.e. not cherrypicked from a single sub-branch) IE reflex. He has some 960 of them total, so that would seem to come out at some 160-ish Egyptian-IE parallels. However, it does not seem that there is any further good evidence for the correspondence PIE *h₂ ~ Egyptian (Bomhard's *x / *xʷ). In C₂ position this is very rare; while in initial position the only other example given from both of these is PIE *h₂wel- 'to pull' ~ Eg. ḫnp 'to catch, steal' (further compared also with Semitic √xlʕ- 'to pull off/out', Dravidian #vali- 'to pull'). This is clearly crap: even the PIE laryngeal is actually Mallory & Adams' *h₄, based solely on Albanian (heq 'to pull'), while all third consonants in the roots are summarily ignored as "root extensions".

So I would think that *ḫnt ~ *h₂ent- is not cognate. In more general, in Bomhard's data the whole Afrasian #x ~ PIE *h₂ and also #ɣ ~ *h₃ correspondences seem a lot weaker than the parallel correspondences *ħ ~ *h₂, *ʕ ~ *h₃. But perhaps some of them, such as this example, could be instead loans.

Defending this requires a typological detour. So, *ħ *ʕ in Afrasian are stable enough (retained for some 10,000 years in multiple branches!) that I don't think they can be straight inheritance from a common ancestor with half of the languages of Eurasia, since no other alleged relative shows any signs of ancient pharyngeals. Even for PIE, we only have = probably [χ ʁ] or [x ɣ] in Anatolian, loss in all others. We could still maybe assume *ħ *ʕ > *∅ (or > *h) as a specific innovation defining core PIE, just as it also defines e.g. East Semitic, but it does not seem common enough to be posited dozens of time over and over again.

Now, I think there is another analysis available that doesn't require jettisoning the *ħ ~ *h₂ correspondences. A typical source for pharyngeals — perhaps the only common source — is the retraction of velar/uvular fricatives, as attested in e.g. Haida or Hebrew (and arguably in some advanced varieties of Danish). So I suggest that this is what was the common source here, too: Anatolian /χ ʁ/ are archaic, not any kind of secondary fronting. (Bomhard also gives *ħ > *x in Kartvelian.) For Bomhard's *x *ɣ, if they're onto anything at all, I would suggest instead *q *ʁ with widespread lenition later on. Sometimes before the retraction of old *x *ɣ (thus giving e.g. Eastern Cushitic *ħ *ʕ), but sometimes after it, giving a dorsal / pharyngeal contrast (thus Semitic).

(Bomhard also has his own uvular/velar contrast, but this is only based on Agaw and Kartvelian, with zero effort to show any correlation between these; the method seems to be that an uvular in one of them automatically indicates an original uvular, regardless of other cognates. Also, *q in Eskimo-Aleut is completely ignored and sometimes given under velars, sometimes uvulars.)

At this point a loaning scenario finally starts being sketchable: PIE or para-IE *h₂ent- = /xant-/ gets loaned into Egyptian sometime after it had already shifted its cognate or earlier-loan-layer *x into /ħ/, and hence the word gets rendered as indeed exactly √xnt.
Zju

Post by Zju »

About the last point: I'm skeptical. Face and head are very basic terms and not likely to be borrowed at all. Infact, if there's any relatedness, I'm more willing to accept a genetic one, but then I'm very far from being convinced still. (and yes, I'm aware that in principle any word could be borrowed). Though I have to say another interesting lookalike is the word for horn in PIE and PAA.

If there's any connection between Egyptian and PIE, the PIE word for seven being a loan is a likelier etymology.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Zju wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 pmFace and head are very basic terms and not likely to be borrowed at all.
cedh

Post by cedh »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm
Zju wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 pmFace and head are very basic terms and not likely to be borrowed at all.
Also cf. the etymologies of German "Kopf" and French "tête".
Zju

Post by Zju »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm
Okay I'll face it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

What's up with this?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Howl

Post by Howl »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pm @Howl: It seems to be fashionable among Nostraticists to reconstruct Proto-Nostratic as an analytic language, but the Mitian languages are generally synthetic, ranging from agglutinating to fusional, so I think an agglutinating Proto-Mitian language is more plausible.
I did not know it was fashionable or that more Nostraticists think this way. But maybe it is just something that makes sense. Typological traits like agglutinating versus analytical or accustive versus ergative are not constant throughout the evolution of a language. And quite often you see typological traits like these ones align in a Sprachbund. For example, Japanese has a lot of analytical features. Cases are marked by postpositions. And there are no personal suffixes. And still, Japanese is often considered a Mitian language that split off from Altaic. But Japanese is surrounded by a lot of very analytical languages, like e.g. the Chinese languages.
WeepingElf wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pmI have the feeling that Proto-Uralic is especially conservative (though Bomhard at least rejects that notion); the Uralo-Siberian phonology reconstructed by Fortescue, which is quite similar to, but not the same as, the PU one, perhaps gives a good idea of what Proto-Mitian phonology may have looked like, a better one IMHO than the large inventories proposed by both Nostraticist camps, which are bloated by the IMHO questionable inclusions of Kartvelian, Dravidiian and Afrasian.
One problem with Uralic is that its reconstruction is very much like a long-range comparison. The actual set of cognates is relatively small. And there are many unconditional splits in the sound-laws, where a reconstructed phoneme X in proto-Uralic becomes either phoneme Y or Z in a daughter language in a seemingly random way. If you'd start to reconstruct separate phonemes in proto-Uralic for all these cases, you'd have a much bigger phoneme inventory in no time.
dhok

Post by dhok »

Zju wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 pm Face and head are very basic terms and not likely to be borrowed at all.
But it's not impossible! Ojibwe oshtigwaan "his head" is a borrowing from Cree; the root is Proto-Algonquian *-ʔtekw-, whose expected Ojibwe reflex -tigw- appears in some place names.

(also German Kopf, as noted)
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pmI have the feeling that Proto-Uralic is especially conservative (though Bomhard at least rejects that notion); the Uralo-Siberian phonology reconstructed by Fortescue, which is quite similar to, but not the same as, the PU one, perhaps gives a good idea of what Proto-Mitian phonology may have looked like, a better one IMHO than the large inventories proposed by both Nostraticist camps, which are bloated by the IMHO questionable inclusions of Kartvelian, Dravidiian and Afrasian.
Uralic looks somewhat conservative in having bisyllabic roots and a decent amount of root-internal consonant clusters, but the first can be found across Altaic groups and the second in PIE just as well. By similar logic e.g. initial clusters in PIE could also be considered at least partly archaic. The largeish vowel system in PU is almost surely not archaic; vowels have a half-life of like three centuries during the later development of most Uralic branches. (One of these days I should clean up and put online my conference presentation from last summer on the internal reconstruction of the PU vowel system.)

Afrasian is so far probably too rough in the making to profitably include in detailed phonological reconstructions so far (although already Proto-Southern Cushitic has a large inventory that's almost the same as Bomhard reconstructs for PAA; pharyngeals, labiovelars, velar fricatives, lateral affricates, palatoalveolars, ejectives…). Kartvelian seems like a clear phonological outlier; several of its contrasts such as *č versus *čᵏ, velars vs. uvulars do not seem to have counterparts elsewhere. It's grammatically immediately out of the line too, with stuff like prefixing verbs, noun classification, "version" marking… Some of this is probably areal Caucasian business, but it should be worked out what exactly.

I do not have any big categorical objections to the idea of including Dravidian; it's typologically quite "Ural-Altaic" already. The biggest issue seems to be that DED is full of junk etymologies, including a lot of narrowly distributed vocabulary restricted to one group, such as South Dravidian or North Dravidian, often also South Dravidian plus Telugu but no other Central Dravidian reflexes (so probably indicating old literary loans from Tamil). Weeding these out from comparisons could end up also kicking out the chair from under the supposed etymological connections to Mitian/Eurasiatic families, but that's hard to say in advance of course.

As an aside, I have recent idea on the Kartvelian "*čk-cluster" series (which yields clusters /čʼkʼ čk džg/ in Svan and Zan, but plain /čʼ č dž/ in Georgian). Given (1) *w > /g/ in Armenian, and (2) velar/uvular + *v clusters being common, I suspect that PKv should be reconstructed with labialized consonants; in *čʷ etc. labialization is then lost in Georgian, but in the other languages it unpacks: > *čw > *čɣ > *čk etc. (Presumably this then implies that also the pan-Kartvelian unpacking of labiovelars: *kʷ > /kw/ (Svan) > /kv/ (Gerogian-Zan), etc. was only post-Proto-Kartvelian.)
Howl wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:42 pmOne problem with Uralic is that its reconstruction is very much like a long-range comparison. The actual set of cognates is relatively small. And there are many unconditional splits in the sound-laws, where a reconstructed phoneme X in proto-Uralic becomes either phoneme Y or Z in a daughter language in a seemingly random way. If you'd start to reconstruct separate phonemes in proto-Uralic for all these cases, you'd have a much bigger phoneme inventory in no time.
You can find this in Indo-European just as well, if you start looking at all the second-degree daughter languages, with things like Gothic having sometimes þl for *fl, Albanian having sometimes unexpected h, Lithuanian having unexpected s for *š, all of Balto-Slavic having unexpected velars for palatovelars, various Indo-Aryan languages having unexpected retroflexes… Reconstructing PIE with twice the segment inventory would not be hard. The main reason this looks worse in Uralic (or for that matter, language families like East Caucasian) is surely not much else than the lack of old attestations.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Tropylium wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:42 amAs an aside, I have recent idea on the Kartvelian "*čk-cluster" series (which yields clusters /čʼkʼ čk džg/ in Svan and Zan, but plain /čʼ č dž/ in Georgian). Given (1) *w > /g/ in Armenian, and (2) velar/uvular + *v clusters being common, I suspect that PKv should be reconstructed with labialized consonants; in *čʷ etc. labialization is then lost in Georgian, but in the other languages it unpacks: > *čw > *čɣ > *čk etc. (Presumably this then implies that also the pan-Kartvelian unpacking of labiovelars: *kʷ > /kw/ (Svan) > /kv/ (Gerogian-Zan), etc. was only post-Proto-Kartvelian.)
Some varieties of Iranian had a similar change, albeit with the end result a labial rather than a velar stop (kw > sp, gw > zb).
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

A similar sound change occurred in Kinyarwanda, but the labial element is retained in Cw clusters with non-labial C -- pw > pk, but tw > tkw -- and Cy clusters also undergo fortition.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
nimic_vostru

Post by nimic_vostru »

Zju wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 pm About the last point: I'm skeptical. Face and head are very basic terms and not likely to be borrowed at all.
Is this something you can back up, or something you believe? In that sentence you wrote, "face" is already a loan ultimately from Latin, which has loaned the word into many European languages. I can already think of examples such as Scand. fjes, fjæs, fjäs (through English), and southwest Slavic faca, from Italian, where they're finding widespread colloquial use.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Tropylium wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:42 am
I am now more careful with Fortescue's phonology; for starters, the distinction between *v and *w hinges on Chukotko-Kamchatkan alone, which F. is no longer sure about belonging to US at all; yet, the Proto-Uralic and Proto-Eskimo-Aleut consonant inventories still look, at first glance, quite similar to each other (though the vowel inventories could hardly be more different - which probably shows the well-known fact that vowels tend to be more volatile than consonants) - but does that mean that both have preserved the Proto-Mitian inventory especially well? Such things can be deceptive. For instance, the Proto-Eskimo consonant system can be reduced to three types - voiceless oral, voiced oral, nasal - where each member of the first type has a counterpart in the second, while the third type lacks the lateral, palatal and uvular members. Aleut adds fricatives such as /s/ and /x/ to this, but these seem to be secondary (weakening of voiceless stops). This is a structure unlike anything in Mitian!
Uralic looks somewhat conservative in having bisyllabic roots and a decent amount of root-internal consonant clusters, but the first can be found across Altaic groups and the second in PIE just as well. By similar logic e.g. initial clusters in PIE could also be considered at least partly archaic. The largeish vowel system in PU is almost surely not archaic; vowels have a half-life of like three centuries during the later development of most Uralic branches. (One of these days I should clean up and put online my conference presentation from last summer on the internal reconstruction of the PU vowel system.)
Fair. What certainly isn't archaic about the vowel system of Proto-Uralic is the reduction in non-first syllables, but the size of the 1st-syllable inventory reeks of some kind of innovation, too. But we don't know how many vowels pre-GVC PIE had - it seems to have at least */i e a o u/ and no front rounded vowels (otherwise, we'd have labialized front velars in PIE, which we don't), but it may have had more than three degrees of openness, two rather than one low vowel (though the paucity of unlabialized back velars in PIE seems to indicate that there was just one non-front unrounded vowel), etc. I would not be so bold to reconstruct vowel harmony for PIU or Proto-Mitian, though!

What IMHO also has a good chance of being archaic is Eskimo-Aleut (though the vowel system may have once been richer, as if EA had its own GVC). The EA speakers were first footers in most of their area; there were no people in the North American Arctic before them, it seems (the Paleo-Eskimo may have been speakers of a lost branch of EA), so no substratum effects. There are some pretty interesting-looking paradigms in this family, but on the other hand, it seems to lack the (in)famous Mitian pronouns entirely.
Afrasian is so far probably too rough in the making to profitably include in detailed phonological reconstructions so far (although already Proto-Southern Cushitic has a large inventory that's almost the same as Bomhard reconstructs for PAA; pharyngeals, labiovelars, velar fricatives, lateral affricates, palatoalveolars, ejectives…).
Afrasian is a much deeper thing than IE or Uralic, probably about as deep as Mitian (if the latter is a thing at all, of course). There are at least two mutually incompatible reconstructions of Proto-Afrasian (one by Ehret, one by Orel and Stolbova, both published in 1995) on the market, and nobody knows which one - if any - is right. As I have remarked earlier, that Afrasian is generally accepted and Indo-Uralic or Mitian is not, has to do with the fact that in African linguistics, the lumpers dominate the discourse, while in Eurasian linguistics, it is rather the splitters. That said, shared morphology makes it quite clear that Afrasian is a thing, and so is Niger-Congo (while Nilo-Saharan and Khoisan look much worse), but Indo-Uralic looks almost as good to me.

But what regards the question of a relationship between Mitian and Afrasian, I don't see why these two entities should be especially close. There is almost nothing that seems to match, and what does seem to my just be chance resemblances.
Kartvelian seems like a clear phonological outlier; several of its contrasts such as *č versus *čᵏ, velars vs. uvulars do not seem to have counterparts elsewhere. It's grammatically immediately out of the line too, with stuff like prefixing verbs, noun classification, "version" marking… Some of this is probably areal Caucasian business, but it should be worked out what exactly.
Yes, these things (there are no noun classes in Kartvelian, though; that's a NEC thing) make Kartvelian look "weird" from a Mitian standpoint, and I don't think it is close (essentially, the only morphological bit that seems to match well is 1sg. nom, *me, which, however, is as isolated in its paradigm as PIE 1sg. nom. *h1eǵhom, and may just be a chance resemblance).
I do not have any big categorical objections to the idea of including Dravidian; it's typologically quite "Ural-Altaic" already. The biggest issue seems to be that DED is full of junk etymologies, including a lot of narrowly distributed vocabulary restricted to one group, such as South Dravidian or North Dravidian, often also South Dravidian plus Telugu but no other Central Dravidian reflexes (so probably indicating old literary loans from Tamil). Weeding these out from comparisons could end up also kicking out the chair from under the supposed etymological connections to Mitian/Eurasiatic families, but that's hard to say in advance of course.
Typological similarity to "Ural-Altaic" means nothing. AFAIK, there are no morphological matches between Mitian and Dravidian, and the phonology is also structured in a totally different way. (Dravidian consonants look, if anything, like Aboriginal Australian, but otherwise, there is nothing of value to justify a Dravidian-Australian connection, leaving aside the fact that "Aboriginal Australian" is in itself just a geographical-typological classification and not established as a family.)
As an aside, I have recent idea on the Kartvelian "*čk-cluster" series (which yields clusters /čʼkʼ čk džg/ in Svan and Zan, but plain /čʼ č dž/ in Georgian). Given (1) *w > /g/ in Armenian, and (2) velar/uvular + *v clusters being common, I suspect that PKv should be reconstructed with labialized consonants; in *čʷ etc. labialization is then lost in Georgian, but in the other languages it unpacks: > *čw > *čɣ > *čk etc. (Presumably this then implies that also the pan-Kartvelian unpacking of labiovelars: *kʷ > /kw/ (Svan) > /kv/ (Gerogian-Zan), etc. was only post-Proto-Kartvelian.)
This begs the question why only back sibilants have a labialization distinction! There is some evidence of labialization in PK, but somewhere else: any consonant except the labials may be followed by *w. What regards the "*čk-clusters", as you call them, I am more leaning to a model with sibilants at three points of articulation, which IMHO is the standard model in Kartvelian historical linguistics. Yet, I am not a Kartvelianist, so my opinion doesn't count for much.
Howl wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:42 pmOne problem with Uralic is that its reconstruction is very much like a long-range comparison. The actual set of cognates is relatively small. And there are many unconditional splits in the sound-laws, where a reconstructed phoneme X in proto-Uralic becomes either phoneme Y or Z in a daughter language in a seemingly random way. If you'd start to reconstruct separate phonemes in proto-Uralic for all these cases, you'd have a much bigger phoneme inventory in no time.
You can find this in Indo-European just as well, if you start looking at all the second-degree daughter languages, with things like Gothic having sometimes þl for *fl, Albanian having sometimes unexpected h, Lithuanian having unexpected s for *š, all of Balto-Slavic having unexpected velars for palatovelars, various Indo-Aryan languages having unexpected retroflexes… Reconstructing PIE with twice the segment inventory would not be hard. The main reason this looks worse in Uralic (or for that matter, language families like East Caucasian) is surely not much else than the lack of old attestations.
Yes, Uralic is harder to reconstruct than IE because there aren't those nifty ancient literary languages which bridge half of the time in the case of IE. Basically, IE can be reconstructed as if it was just 2,500 years old, because we know how Indians, Persians and Greeks spoke 2,500 years ago. Also, the Neogrammarian model of regular, exceptionless sound changes is just a model which doesn't capture all detail; anyone who has ever perused a dialect atlas of whichever language knows that phonological isoglosses tend to vary (though usually not by much) from word to word. There is no reason to assume that prehistoric languages were any different in this regard.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages