Weird alt-world map from 1942

Conworlds and conlangs
zompist
Site Admin

Weird alt-world map from 1942

Post by zompist »

Found this on Twitter; it was made in 1942 by one Maurice Gomberg as a personal project.

On the one hand, for a map designed in the early years of the war, it's not shabby as a prediction for ~ 1960:

-- the USSR is correctly shown as taking over East Europe
-- decolonization in India, SE Asia, and Africa
-- Israel (amusingly named Hebrewland)

Of course, every detail beyond that is wrong, baffling, or perverse. (Some of it is explained in the verbiage below the map, which in the interests of 'peace' proposed demilitarizing everyone except the US, UK, and USSR, ethnically cleaning Japanese from the Western Hemisphere, and preventing immigration of Germans and Italians. Oh, and nationalization of resources and major industries.)

So many weird little details— why does the US get Hainan and the Celebes? Why does the UK lose its empire but gets most of Indonesia? But these are typical of the conworlder who knows maps more than history...
Zaarin

Re: Weird alt-world map from 1942

Post by Zaarin »

I love how everything is "United [Government] of [Location]." :lol:
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

My immediate reaction is why is my homeland so big? We don't want all that territory!
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

mèþru wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:51 pm My immediate reaction is why is my homeland so big? We don't want all that territory!
What I find fascinating is that to the west India takes not just Pakistan but also Afghanistan, and then to the east it takes not just Bangladesh but also most of Southeast Asia except Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia--but Britain gets the Andamans and Sri Lanka? :P
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

zompist wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:53 pm
So many weird little details— why does the US get Hainan and the Celebes? Why does the UK lose its empire but gets most of Indonesia? But these are typical of the conworlder who knows maps more than history...
It's the other way around - these may look strange on the map, but make a lot of sense given the history.

The situation in Indonesia was that the Dutch colonial empire had collapsed, and Indonesia had just been conquered by Japan.

If you were looking at the map in 1942, what would you predict would happen? Clearly, the map-maker expected Japan to be defeated, so Indonesia could not be Japanese. The maker clearly was correctly quite skeptical of the ability of the Dutch to regain their empire after the war. In hindsight, we know that Indonesia became independent - but the map-maker was not to know that the Indonesian nationalist movement, which had been almost invisible in 1941, would blossom during the war and be in a position to attain independence in under a decade. The map-maker may also have expected the old powers to come out of the war a bit better off than they did, with the war settled by the traditional giant peace conference at which the old powers carved up the territories of the losers.

In Indonesia, that would naturally mean Britain getting most of it. Britain held territory east, south, north and west of Indonesia (i.e. Australia, Papua New Guinea, Malaya and northern Borneo), and if Indonesia were to be liberated from the Japanese, it would presumably be by the British. Indeed, the British DID invade Indonesia after the war, before deciding to leave it to the Dutch and the Indonesians to fight it out.

At the same time, American policy before the war had for half a century been eyeing an expansion of its empire in southeast asia. If Indonesia had indeed been up for grabs, it's not unreasonable to suspect that the Americans might have tried to claim some of it - and as Sulawesi bordered the American zone of control, it was an obvious target. Specifically, in assuming America would take over Sulawesi, the Halmaheras and the Moluccas, the map-maker was mostly accurately predicting the consolidation of the local states into what would become known as Negara Indonesia Timur - except that in our timeline NIT included Bali and the Flores islands as well as West Timur, but hey, you can't get everything right. [IOT, NIT joined the federated states of Indonesia, which were then brought into a single unified state under Sukarno]

Regarding Hainan, this again looks very well informed. IOT, Hainan did indeed remain independent of China - until 1950. Hainan and Taiwan remained under ROC control as the PRC took control of the mainland. The map-maker, given the names, may be assuming the opposite. Either way, I think the map-maker is assuming Hainan remains in the hands of the losing faction, and America takes the opportunity to annex it. In our timeline, Hainan and Taiwan both went to the losers; in 1950, the PRC succesfully took Hainan, but the US took Taiwan into its ZOC. It's not unreasonable to imagine this happening for Hainan as well. (although ITT, it may be that America annexed Taiwan directly from the Japanese).

Of course, IOT, Taiwan has remained mostly politically independent of the US, and did not formally become a protectorate. The map-maker clearly didn't predict the extent to which the protectorate system would decline after the war - but more importantly, they probably didn't foresee the extent to which China and Taiwan would develop so rapidly economically, making it harder for the US to control the latter. In 1942, a US protectorate in Taiwan and Hainan probably seemed no more improbable that our timeline's protectorates in the Marianas and Guam.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm
mèþru wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:51 pm My immediate reaction is why is my homeland so big? We don't want all that territory!
What I find fascinating is that to the west India takes not just Pakistan but also Afghanistan, and then to the east it takes not just Bangladesh but also most of Southeast Asia except Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia--but Britain gets the Andamans and Sri Lanka? :P
Not that weird. Your "most of southeast asia" is actually just "Burma". The map-maker assumes the subcontinental colonies will ally in a regional federation (also, remember, Burma will have had to have been liberated from Japan by mostly Indian troops). That Ceylon would remain independent is no great shock. On the one hand, Britain was more interested in keeping it, as part of its maritime empire; on the other hand, until quite late in the process the independence movement in Ceylon was much less ardent, due to intercommunal disagreements.

I think, looking closely, that the Andamans are Indian in that map, although I can't be certain. If they're British, it's probably that Britain has annexed them on a general 'maintain island bases' rule (cf Diego Garcia etc).

Incorporating the already-independent Afghanistan into India is more difficult, but probably the thinking is that with the USSR threatening on its northern border and a culturally-and-historically-allied Indian bloc to the south, Afghanistan would yield itself into the Indian ZOC in the interests of self-preservation.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I think you're giving the mapmaker too much credit, though this is partly my fault: the image tag doesn't give you the full-sized map, so you can't see some key details. Here it is as a link:

https://i.redd.it/3y2itwh0uuk11.jpg

Here's a little bit more (not much more) about the map:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_o ... _World_Map

The key bits are that it was published in February 1942, but according to a footnote in the Wikipedia article, it was completed before Pearl Harbor (December 1941). That's before Japan conquered Indonesia.

I think Hainan, Indonesia, and some other oddities (e.g. Madagascar, Sri Lanka) are explained by a simpler principle: the mapmaker just gave all islands to one of the militarized powers, the UK or US.

(To be sure, this isn't an absurd principle: islands make good bases and are easily separated from the continental power. Still, Indonesia isn't exactly a tiny place, and it's the major exception to the mapmaker's general policy of decolonization.)
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Salmoneus wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:51 pm
Zaarin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm
Not that weird. Your "most of southeast asia" is actually just "Burma". The map-maker assumes the subcontinental colonies will ally in a regional federation (also, remember, Burma will have had to have been liberated from Japan by mostly Indian troops).
Aren't Laos and a couple other small states in there, too? Granted I'm not terribly familiar with pre-War Southeastern Asia. In fact, I'm not terribly familiar with Southeastern Asia in general; my East Asian interests are centered squarely on China and Korea (who also doesn't get its own statehood in this scenario).
That Ceylon would remain independent is no great shock. On the one hand, Britain was more interested in keeping it, as part of its maritime empire; on the other hand, until quite late in the process the independence movement in Ceylon was much less ardent, due to intercommunal disagreements.
That makes sense, but it's still interesting that India gets to grab territory outside its usual sphere of influence but doesn't get the island that is certainly culturally "Indian" (I'm well aware that modern India is a mashup of many cultures, but what I mean here is that Sri Lankan culture is clearly rooted in Tamil Nadu).
I think, looking closely, that the Andamans are Indian in that map, although I can't be certain. If they're British, it's probably that Britain has annexed them on a general 'maintain island bases' rule (cf Diego Garcia etc).
They're British, but yes, in a hypothetical "Britain keeps its empire" scenario, I would see them prioritizing islands.
Incorporating the already-independent Afghanistan into India is more difficult, but probably the thinking is that with the USSR threatening on its northern border and a culturally-and-historically-allied Indian bloc to the south, Afghanistan would yield itself into the Indian ZOC in the interests of self-preservation.
Which is also interesting since in the real timeline it was a Soviet invasion which sparked Afghani nationalism. Of course, Afghanistan being confederated into India would have only increased the Muslim-Hindu problem real-life India faced, compounded by the fact that Afghanistan is culturally more closely affiliated with Iran than India.

On which note, I also find it interesting that the mapmaker predicted that Iran would be assimilated into the USSR along with Central Asia. Had I been drawing the map I think I would have predicted an independent Iran with Afghanistan assimilated into that. Of course, I'm looking in hindsight, so...(Also, that Union of African Republics is going to be a nightmare to administrate. :P )
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pmWhat I find fascinating is that to the west India takes not just Pakistan but also Afghanistan, and then to the east it takes not just Bangladesh but also most of Southeast Asia except Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia
Yesss! Greater India ftw! BHARAT MATA KI JAI!!! :twisted:

Besides, Afghans love Indians. (Except the Taliban, but the Taliban hate everybody).
but Britain gets the Andamans and Sri Lanka? :P
So they get the penal colony they created and a civil war they started? Sounds like a deal to me! ;)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

It's too bad we don't have more historical context for Gomberg. Was he 1942's equivalent of a Posadist? My impression is that, disturbingly, he was not.

Also, note that the provinces of Canada are preserved in the North American superstate, but the states of Mexico are not.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
elemtilas

Post by elemtilas »

Nortaneous wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:24 am It's too bad we don't have more historical context for Gomberg. Was he 1942's equivalent of a Posadist? My impression is that, disturbingly, he was not.

Also, note that the provinces of Canada are preserved in the North American superstate, but the states of Mexico are not.
Odd. What I found most interesting was that, given the clear vision of an Allied victory, Germany not only retains its pre-war border shape but also that all of it ends up Pink. & (presumably) under Soviet control. I guess the trade-off there was Italy...

Every source seems to say something different about Gomberg. He was an academic. No, he was a writer. No, he was a clock-maker. No, he was a printer with a shop in Philly. Neat bit of Alt-Historical worldbuilding whatever the truth about the man behind the map!
--insert pithy saying here--
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Nortaneous wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:24 am It's too bad we don't have more historical context for Gomberg. Was he 1942's equivalent of a Posadist? My impression is that, disturbingly, he was not.

Not sure where Gomberg is from, but most Americans are aware Canada has provinces but not that Mexico has states. :P I myself couldn't name more than Chihuahua and Oaxaca off the top of my head; one of those because a dog and cheese, the other because of a Pre-Columbian state...
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Zaarin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pmAfghanistan is culturally more closely affiliated with Iran than India.
I know at least one Afghan who's told me that Afghanistan in general is culturally closer to India than to Iran, and outside of western Afghanistan (Herat etc.), Afghan music is definitely closer to Indian music than to Iranian.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Vijay wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:30 pm
Zaarin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pmAfghanistan is culturally more closely affiliated with Iran than India.
I know at least one Afghan who's told me that Afghanistan in general is culturally closer to India than to Iran, and outside of western Afghanistan (Herat etc.), Afghan music is definitely closer to Indian music than to Iranian.
Interesting. I assumed that Afghanistan had stronger ties to Iran because the major languages in Afghanistan are Dari and Pashto (both Iranian), Afghanis are overwhelmingly Muslim, and historically much of Central Asia has been dominated by Iranian peoples if not Iran proper.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Afghanistan is basically the border area between the Indosphere, Persosphere and Turkestanosphere
that doesn't even make sense but it kind of does at the same time
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Lol yeah. Tajikistan seems to be like that to some extent, too. Afghans are also apparently big Bollywood fans (okay, all kinds of people are big Bollywood fans, but...the Afghan person I mentioned above used to watch it with her family even during the Taliban regime). Afghan music (or at least Dari songs from Afghanistan) is also largely indistinguishable from Tajik music to the point where apparently, Afghans often accuse Tajik artists of ripping off Afghan songs.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Zaarin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 pmI assumed that Afghanistan had stronger ties to Iran because the major languages in Afghanistan are Dari and Pashto (both Iranian), Afghanis are overwhelmingly Muslim, and historically much of Central Asia has been dominated by Iranian peoples if not Iran proper.
Did you forget about Pakistan? The Pashtun straddle the border, which has been a pretty big thing geopolitically.

You're right about Dari, though-- it's pretty much a dialect of Farsi.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I had a Farsi-speaking teacher and a Dari-speaking classmate. They couldn't understand each other except in English and in French (the class subject).

I always thought Tajikistan wasn't part of the Indosphere at all, only Persian and Turkic (plus Chinese and Russian)
kårroť
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Tajikistan has Chinese influence?
mèþru wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 pmI had a Farsi-speaking teacher and a Dari-speaking classmate. They couldn't understand each other except in English and in French (the class subject).
I can buy that. That reminds me of an Iranian American classmate of mine who didn't seem to realize that there are other ways of speaking Persian besides the way he spoke it. He insisted that [nuːn] was the only way to say 'bread' in Persian (definitely NOT [nɒːn], nooooooo!) and that [mer̥ˈsi] was the only way to say 'thanks'.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

zompist wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:09 pm
Zaarin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 pmI assumed that Afghanistan had stronger ties to Iran because the major languages in Afghanistan are Dari and Pashto (both Iranian), Afghanis are overwhelmingly Muslim, and historically much of Central Asia has been dominated by Iranian peoples if not Iran proper.
Did you forget about Pakistan? The Pashtun straddle the border, which has been a pretty big thing geopolitically.

You're right about Dari, though-- it's pretty much a dialect of Farsi.
I didn't forget about Pakistan, but I did forget there were Pashtuns there.