Germano-Latin update

Conworlds and conlangs
Emily

Germano-Latin update

Post by Emily »

i've talked about it before in various iterations of the board but i figured i'd kind of give a general rundown of the concept and an update as to where i'm at (warning: long!!! lmao!!)

germano-latin
this is what some people call a """bogolang""" project, originating years and years ago when i looked at conlangs like wenedyk or brithenig, which derive what appear to be irl modern languages such as polish or welsh from different sources (in these cases latin), and wondered "why hasn't anyone done this to look like english?" the answer pretty quickly became obvious: because it gets confusing to turn half your vocabulary into romance when the other half is also already romance. rather than taking the sensible course of abandoning it, however, i ended up expanding the scope, and decided to essentially switch proto-germanic and latin, and see what it would look like if the romance languages were derived from proto-germanic and the germanic languages were derived from latin

pretty quickly it became clear that i would have to start with classical latin instead of vulgar latin. i know that this is a grave conlanging sin, but it's the only way to actually make this project work, because proto-germanic and classical latin both have contrastive vowel length and vulgar latin doesn't. so the new germanic (spoken in italy and the roman empire) gives way to a "vulgar germanic", which becomes the ancestor of the new germanicized french, spanish, etc.

as i mentioned in another post, i did end up changing my approach when it came to some of the sounds that don't match up between the languages. the biggest example is /θ/, which doesn't exist at all in latin but is very common in proto-germanic. originally i had it simply disappearing in the new "romance" languages (germano-french, etc.) and trying to find some way for it to develop in english and icelandic. but eventually i came to the conclusion that i want to start from the beginning and work forward, rather than start from the end result (e.g. a version of english phonology that works exactly like irl) and come up with rules that didn't happen irl in order to force the result that i was looking for. this means that when i'm trying to figure out how to develop a feature that exists in one group but not the other, i either work based on analogy with similar features (e.g. for figuring out what to do with /θ/ in the new "romance" languages, i might look at how other voiceless fricatives developed in irl romance) or look at how the feature developed in its own languages irl (so i would look at the different ways /θ/ developed in the germanic languages and figure out how parallel developments may have occurred in the alt-romance languages). in the case of /θ/ i chose the latter, since it's not a particularly common phoneme irl (or even in europe), and so only sardinian and romanian retain it into the modern day, while it becomes /d/ in all environments in most of the mainland languages (french, spanish, portuguese, northern italian dialects), and the central and southern italian dialects (as well as provençal) it becomes /t/ word-initially (except in grammatical words such as those reflected in english "that" and "there") and /d/ elsewhere; this parallels (maybe a little too closely tbh) the situation irl, where the relatively isolated island languages icelandic, english, and scots retain it, the mainland west germanic languages convert it to /d/, and the peninsular north germanic languages (as well as frisian) convert it to either /t/ or /d/ as described above

speaking of /θ/, the letters of the roman alphabet are the same as irl except they also now include the theta

the approach i described above, trying to be true to the actual historical developments rather than force it into being the "most english english" or "most french french" or whatever, is the approach i'm trying to take to the whole project as best i can. this means that some things aren't going to work the way i initially expected; for example, the "new" germanic languages will have adjectives following the nouns (as this was standard in latin and there's no historical justification for switching it out of the blue). i still need to work through some of my correspondences between different sets of pronouns, which i matched out before i really committed to this approach

a lot of the work i've been doing is trying to compile detailed sound change lists, which are frustratingly hard to track down. most sources only give the biggest or broadest-reaching changes, and often don't even break it down by stages of the language. my plan is to have a bunch of different files with SCA sound change rules (all working on the same sets of categories obviously) that i can cut and paste into the SCA to figure out how something would have developed. for example, given the following file names for the different stages of development:
  • 205: Proto-Germanic to Old English
  • 210: Old English to Middle English
  • 220: Middle English to Early Modern English
  • 230: Early Modern English to Modern English
  • 350: Proto-Germanic to Old Frankish
  • 510: Classical Latin to Western Vulgar Latin
  • 700: Western Vulgar Latin to Old Gallo-Romance
  • 710: Old Gallo-Romance to Old Norman
  • 720: Old Norman to Anglo-Norman
i would take the rules 205-210-220-230 to derive a word inherited from latin (OTL proto-germanic) down into modern english, 510-700-710-720-220-230 for a native anglo-norman word (from proto-germanic, OTL latin) borrowed into english, and 350-710-720-220-230 for anglo-norman words borrowed into english that in turn were borrowed from frankish

to this end, i've also been sketching out lists of word etymologies for all basic terms i can think of, plus more that might be helpful (e.g. "computer"). mostly i've been getting the etymologies from wiktionary, but etymonline has also been helpful for english words, and duden's herkunftswörterbuch has been somewhat helpful for german (though it frequently either only traces a word's etymology back to OHG, or else traces it to OHG but then maddeningly skips PG to give the PIE root!). for ambiguous or uncertain cases i'm basically making judgement calls. some examples:

ant
  • English/German: from PG "ēmaitijǭ" (ant)
  • Dutch/North Germanic: from PG "miurijǭ" (ant)
  • Yiddish: from PSlav "morvъ" (ant)
  • Romance: from L "formīca" (ant)
  • --- gmclat words
  • Yiddish: from PSlav "morvъ"
  • other Germanic: from L "formīca"
  • French/Italian: from PG "ēmaitijǭ"
  • other Romance: from PG "miurijǭ"
apple
  • Faroese: from PG "sūraz" (sour) + "aplaz" (apple)
  • other Germanic: from PG "aplaz" (apple)
  • Portuguese/Spanish: from VL "mattiana" (of Mattium), or from VL "Matianum" (Matius, a friend of Caesar)
  • French: from L "pōma" (pl of fruit)
  • Italian/Romanian: from L "mālum" (apple) < Gk "mâlon" (fruit)
  • --- gmclat words:
  • Faroese: from L "acidus" + "mālum" ["mālum" + "acidus"?]
  • other Germanic: from L "mālum"
  • Portuguese/Spanish: from VL [adj form of PG form of "Mattium"]
  • French: from PG "ubatjō" ("ubatją")
  • Italian/Romanian: from PG "aplaz"
with the ant example, we can see that yiddish borrows it from a source outside of germanic or romance, so it stays as is. we can also see that there's a mismatch between the germanic and latin forms: proto-germanic has two synonyms for ant, while latin only has one word. in previous versions, i would try to find (in this example) separate latin words to match to the two different proto-germanic words, but in the version here, i decided that wasn't historically justified, and instead derived all the germanic (except yiddish) from the one latin word for ant, and split the romance between the two pg words for it. in the apple example, we see the ambiguity in the faroese gloss that i still need to resolve (is this a straight compound or an adjective-noun combo that got fossilized? does the difference matter?? do i even exist???). and in the iberian word philologists disagree on the ultimate derivation of the word, so i picked one more or less arbitrarily (but i still have more research to do with that one too! what's the etymology of the place name "mattium"? how would it be rendered into proto-germanic rather than latin? etc.)

with the etymologies i've mostly just been collapsing everything that comes from the same root word(s) into one entry. but clearly the next step (and arguably what i should have been doing from the beginning) is instead listing the path each word took, by means of the SCA file numbers i developed, so i can run them through the rules and see what the forms will be. the only entry i've even come close to doing this with is the one for potato, and even that's only because it's so fucking complicated lmao:
LanguageRoot/SourceBorrowing Chain/Other Notes
Eng/Sco/Nor/Swe/Sp (Eur)/It/Portfrom Taíno "batata" (sweet potato)Taíno to Sp (Eur), Port; Sp to Eng, It; Eng to Scots, Swe [Eng pl], Nor
Dutch/Frisfrom [EARTH] + [APPLE]same compound also appears as synonym in various other Germanic languages
Ger/Yid/Dan/Ice/Romfrom It dim. of "tartufo" (truffle) < L "terrae tūber" (tuber of the earth)Ger to Dan/Rom/Yid; Dan to Ice
Faroesefrom Gmc "apalją" (apple)this is probably why faroese calls an apple "sour apple" (see above)
Sp (LatAm)from Quechua "papa" (potato)n/a
Frenchfrom [APPLE] + [OF] + [EARTH]n/a
--- gmclat words
LanguageRoot/Source
Eng/Sco/Nor/Swe/Sp (Eur)/It/Portfrom Taíno "batata"
Dutch/Frifrom [EARTH] + [APPLE]
Ger/Yid/Dan/Ice/Romfrom It dim. of < Gmc [tuber of the earth]
Faroesefrom L "mālum"
Sp (LatAm)from Quechua "papa"
Frenchfrom [APPLE] + [OF] + [EARTH]

other work i've been doing is looking at declension (primarily nouns and pronouns) and, recently, dipping my toes into verb conjugations. i can't make any real headway until i can get the sound changes down, since the way these inflections and conjugations develop is heavily influenced by the sound changes the various languages go through, but i can at least start to get some idea of what things might look like. the nouns and pronouns are fairly simple, since the systems between the two languages are pretty similar (heavy inflection, five or six cases, vocatives that don't last very long in the development, etc.). but the verbs are more daunting, since latin has way more tenses than germanic, but also germanic has the stark distinction between the so-called strong and weak verbs, so trying to figure out how that all develops in parallel is going to be a lot of work

sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, it's late and i'm tired. also i hope someone finds this interesting lol. feel free to ask me any questions, i never get to talk about this with anyone because i'm horrifically embarrassed about conlanging lmfao
Emily

Re: Germano-Latin update

Post by Emily »

this is from a text file i have in the folder labeled "test1.txt", it is apparently a test run of some of the SCA rules i was able to cobble together. this should be viewed as a pre-rough draft:
glossLatinModern "English"IPA
churchecclēsiacleese/klis/ (/kliz/?)
cowvaccawack/wæk/
doorportaport/port/
earaurisarr (air?)/ar/ (/er/?)
eyeokulusockle/ˈakəl/
goodbonusboon/bun/
hairpiluspill/pɪl/
handmanusmane/mein/
headcaputcape/keip/
horsecaballuscaball/kəˈbal/
housedomusdoom/dum/
iceglaciēsglach/glætʃ/
lakefossafoss/fas/ (/fɔs/? cot-caught for life m*therfuckers)
leaffoliumfell/fɛl/
livevīverewew?/wu/?
manhomōhoom/hum/
monthmēnsismeese/mis/ (/miz/?)
moonlūnaloun/laun/
nosenārēsnear/nir/
orautat/æt/
sheepovisyew/ju/ -- hey, how about that
sleepdormīredorm/dɚm/ -- NOT /*dorm/
starstēllasteel/stil/
sunsōlsool/sul/
toothdēnsdeese/dis/ (/diz/?)
treearborarbor/ˈarbɚ/
wateraquaack/æk/
wordverbumwerb/wɚb/
yearannusann/æn/
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I really like this idea! Unfortunately I don’t think I would be able to help at all with this, as I know practically nothing about Indo-European languages outside English, but I would be really interested to see the end product.
GreenBowtie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:44 am a lot of the work i've been doing is trying to compile detailed sound change lists, which are frustratingly hard to track down. most sources only give the biggest or broadest-reaching changes, and often don't even break it down by stages of the language. my plan is to have a bunch of different files with SCA sound change rules (all working on the same sets of categories obviously) that i can cut and paste into the SCA to figure out how something would have developed. for example, given the following file names for the different stages of development:
  • 205: Proto-Germanic to Old English
  • 210: Old English to Middle English
  • 220: Middle English to Early Modern English
  • 230: Early Modern English to Modern English
  • 350: Proto-Germanic to Old Frankish
  • 510: Classical Latin to Western Vulgar Latin
  • 700: Western Vulgar Latin to Old Gallo-Romance
  • 710: Old Gallo-Romance to Old Norman
  • 720: Old Norman to Anglo-Norman
If you do manage to compile these changes, do you think you could post them here? I feel that there would be a lot of people (including me) who would find this useful.
GreenBowtie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:59 am this is from a text file i have in the folder labeled "test1.txt", it is apparently a test run of some of the SCA rules i was able to cobble together. this should be viewed as a pre-rough draft:
Earlier today I read your first post and was planning to ask you to post any preliminary results you have, so thanks for doing this! I can already see a couple of fascinating things:
  • It looks like ‘ewe’ yew has stayed exactly the same in pronunciation (albeit with a slight difference in meaning), which I find pretty interesting. ‘Ear’ arr is almost the same.
  • Port, ockle, boon, cape, doom, glach, hoom, loun, dorm, deese, arbor, ack, werb, ann are all surprisingly recognisable.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
alice

Post by alice »

GreenBowtie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:44 am germano-latin
this is what some people call a """bogolang""" project, originating years and years ago when i looked at conlangs like wenedyk or brithenig, which derive what appear to be irl modern languages such as polish or welsh from different sources (in these cases latin), and wondered "why hasn't anyone done this to look like english?" the answer pretty quickly became obvious: because it gets confusing to turn half your vocabulary into romance when the other half is also already romance. rather than taking the sensible course of abandoning it, however, i ended up expanding the scope, and decided to essentially switch proto-germanic and latin, and see what it would look like if the romance languages were derived from proto-germanic and the germanic languages were derived from latin
I've already done "deriving Romance from Proto-Germanic". It's a lot of fun. The important bit is to get to Proto-Romance (or "Vulgar Latin") from Proto-Germanic, which is not hard, although there are several ways of doing it.

Going the other way, as you point out, is harder because you have to go against your instincts and conscience and start with Classical Latin, so that you can keep vowel length. I had to do this with Breathanach, as well as the bogo-lang example you may have encountered :-)
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Curlyjimsam

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Very interesting! I like the word list and would love to see more of the end results.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

You can create vowel length in Late Latin from the syllable structure, there's no need to use Classical Latin.

Open syllables can create long vowels and closed ones short ones. If you need more closed syllables, you can abuse the attested pattern of gemination before a glide (dēbeō > *[debbjo] > Italian debbo), besides the littera rule (lītera ~ littera, Jūpiter ~ Juppiter, brūtus > *brūttus > Italian brutto, cūpa > *cuppa > Spanish copa). Then get rid of the geminates and simplify some clusters, and voilà.

So aqua can become *āqua (due to open syllable a-) and then [ˈɔ:kə] or what have you. And folia can become *[fɔllja] (with pre-glide gemination) and then [ˈfɒɫə], etc.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Ser wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm You can create vowel length in Late Latin from the syllable structure, there's no need to use Classical Latin.

Open syllables can create long vowels and closed ones short ones. If you need more closed syllables, you can abuse the attested pattern of gemination before a glide (dēbeō > *[debbjo] > Italian debbo), besides the littera rule (lītera ~ littera, Jūpiter ~ Juppiter, brūtus > *brūttus > Italian brutto, cūpa > *cuppa > Spanish copa). Then get rid of the geminates and simplify some clusters, and voilà.

So aqua can become *āqua (due to open syllable a-) and then [ˈɔ:kə] or what have you. And folia can become *[fɔllja] (with pre-glide gemination) and then [ˈfɒɫə], etc.
i feel that this would violate the principles i stated above, which are to avoid historically unmotivated changes just to try to make things fit into the structure i want
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

GreenBowtie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 pm
Ser wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm You can create vowel length in Late Latin from the syllable structure, there's no need to use Classical Latin.

i feel that this would violate the principles i stated above, which are to avoid historically unmotivated changes just to try to make things fit into the structure i want
How is that change historically unmotivated? As far as I’m aware, lengthening in open syllables is a perfectly normal sound change. (Although admittedly I don’t know too much about sound changes.)

Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

It's not all that unmotivated. French and Dalmatian show different vowel evolution depending on whether a syllable was open or closed. For example, in general terms, from Late Latin to early Old French, /ɛ a ɔ o/ became /je (j)e wɛ ɵ/ in open syllables (where "/(j)e/" may stand for [(j)e] or [(j)e:] and "/ɵ/" may stand for [ɵ] or [o:] or [ɵw] or [ow]...) but /ɛ a ɔ o/ in closed ones. This rather resembles vowel lengthening in open syllables. Thus sapit/sapiunt > sét/sévent [seθ ˈsevənt] but sapiat > *[ˈsappjat] > sachet [ˈsatʃəθ], and opus /ˈɔpos/ > oes /wɛs/ but porcum > porc /pɔrk/.
Emily

Post by Emily »

it is a common sound change, yes, and it did happen in some of the romance languages, but it's not something that happened systematically across the board in proto-germanic, which is where it would "need" to take place if i were starting from vulgar latin. idk it just makes more sense to me to start from classical latin. especially since there wasn't one vulgar latin anyway, there were multiple ones (romanian and sardinian both had different vowel changes both from each other and from the other romance languages). it may not be 100% accurate to describe classical latin as a parent of vulgar but it's also not 100% inaccurate either and as i said it corresponds with PG a lot easier. idk i just feel like developing a "vulgar" germanic is penance enough for my conlang sin lol

as far as sound change lists, so far all i have is what i was able to gather from the wikipedia article on the phonological history of french, and those have not yielded results that look remotely correct, so i still need to retool them. i would be greatly appreciative if anyone has links to basically any comprehensive lists of sound changes for any germanic or romance language

below are my notes on the etymologies of the numerals in the different languages, which i imagine people might find useful for their own projects
More: show
numPGL
1ainazūnus
2twaiduo
3þrīztrēs
4fedwōrquattuor
5fimfquinque
6sehssex
7sebunseptem
8ahtōuoctō
9newunnovem
10tehundecem
11ainalifūndecim
12twalifduodecim
13þritehuntredecim
14fedurtehunquattuordecim
15fimftehunquīndecim
16sehstehunsēdecim
17sebuntehunseptendecim
18ahtōutehunduodēvīgintī
19newuntehunūndēvīgintī
20twai tigiwizvīgintī
30þrīz tigiwiztrīgintā
40fedwōr tigiwizquadrāgintā
50fimf tigiwizquīnquāgintā
60sehs tigiwizsexāgintā
70sebuntēhundąseptuāgintā
80ahtōutēhundąoctōgintā
90newuntēhundąnōnāgintā
100hundą; hundaradącentum
1,000þūsundīmīlle
In L, the numbers 28, 29, 38, 39, 48, 49, 58, 59, 68, 69, 78, 79, 88, 89 are "duodē-" or "ūndē-" + the next highest multiple of ten (e.g. 38 is "duodēquadrāgintā", lit. "two from forty"). The rest (including 98 and 99) are constructed as in English: "quadrāgintā quinque" (45). This subtractive formation has completely disappeared from the modern Romance languages.

I can't find reconstructions of PG compound numbers (21, 22, 23, etc.) but all the earliest daughters seem to be either [ONE AND TWENTY] or [TWENTY AND ONE]; some have both as an option, while others choose either one or the other.

English/Romance: from Arabic "sifr" (nothing, cipher)
other Germanic: from L "nūllus" (no one, none, not any)
gmclat words
English/Romance: from Arabic "sifr"
other Germanic: from PG "ne" + PG "ainaz"

1-10
Germanic: directly from PG (or various declensions thereof; acc, neut, pl, etc.)
Romance: directly from L (or various declensions thereof; acc, neut, pl, etc.)
>>>>> Romance 5 comes from VL "cīnque", which has been dissimilated from "quīnque"
gmclat words
Germanic: directly from L
>>>>> Germanic 5 comes from "*quīnce"
Romance: directly from PG

11-19
Germanic: directly from PG
Romanian: [num] + "super" + "decem"
French: 11-16 come directly from L; 17-19 are "decem" [num]
Italian: 11-16 come directly from L; 17-19 are "decem ac" [num]
Portuguese/Spanish: 11-15 come directly from L; 16-19 are [TEN] [AND] [num]
gmclat words
Romanian: [num] + "uber" + "tehun"
other Romance: directly from PG
English/Dutch: 11-16 come directly from L; 17-19 are "decem" [num]
German/Yiddish: 11-16 come directly from L; 17-19 are "decem ac" [num]
North Germanic: 11-15 come directly from L; 16-19 are same construction as 21-29, 31-39, etc.

20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90
Germanic:
  • 20: West Germanic from variant form "twaintigaz", North Germanic from original form "twai tigiwiz"
  • 70, 80, 90: Wiktionary's listed forms ending in "-tēhundą" only seem to be attested in Gothic; all other daughters have regular -tigiwiz reflexes
  • Danish/Faroese also: 50-90 are shortenings of earlier phrases derived from (in order): [HALF THIRD (sinds) TWENTY]; [THREE (sinds) TWENTY]; [HALF FOURTH (sinds) TWENTY]; [FOUR (sinds) TWENTY]; [HALF FIFTH (sinds) TWENTY]; I cannot find any data on the etymology of the word "sinds"
  • otherwise directly from PG
Romance:
  • Romanian: [TWO TENS], [THREE TENS], etc. -- the "TENS" portion is a (Romanian, not L) plural of the word for "ten"
  • non-Romanian:
    • 50 is reflex of VL "cīnquāgintā"
    • 80: reflexes of "octāgintā"
    • 90: reflexes of "nōvāgintā" [except French regional variant, which preserves original "nōnāgintā"]
    • French: 70, 80, 90 are [SIXTY TEN], [FOUR TWENTY], [FOUR TWENTY TEN]; reflexes of original L prevail as certain regional variants
    • otherwise directly from L
gmclat words
Germanic:
  • Danish/Faroese also: shortenings of earlier phrases derived from (in order): [HALF THIRD (???) TWENTY]; [THREE (???) TWENTY]; [HALF FOURTH (???) TWENTY]; [FOUR (???) TWENTY]; [HALF FIFTH (???) TWENTY]
  • other Germanic:
    • 50: from L "*quīncāgintā"
    • 80: from L "octāgintā"
    • 90: English from L "nōnāgintā", other Germanic from L "nōvāgintā"
    • otherwise directly from L
Romance:
  • Romanian: [TWO TENS], [THREE TENS], etc.
  • non-Romanian:
    • 20: Portuguese/Spanish from "twai tigiwiz", French/Italian from "twaintigaz"
    • 70, 80, 90: regular reflexes come from "tigiwiz" forms, not "-tēhundą"; standard French forms are [SIXTY TEN], [FOUR TWENTY], [FOUR TWENTY TEN]
    • otherwise directly from PG
21-29, 31-39, 41-49, 51-59, 61-69, 71-79, 81-89, 91-99
English/Norwegian/Swedish/Italian: [TWENTY] [ONE]
Icelandic/Portuguese/Romanian/Spanish: [TWENTY] [AND] [ONE]
Dutch/German/Yiddish/Danish/Faroese: [ONE] [AND] [TWENTY]
French:
  • 21, 31, 41, 51, 61: [TWENTY] [AND] [ONE]
  • 22-29, 32-39, ... 62-69: [TWENTY] [TWO]
  • 71: [SIXTY] [AND] [ELEVEN]
  • 72-79: [SIXTY] [TWELVE]
  • 81-89: [EIGHTY] [ONE]
  • 91-99: [EIGHTY] [ELEVEN]
gmclat words
(same structures as IRL)

Germanic: from PG "hundaradą" (100, 120)
Romanian: from a satem IE substrate, poss Thracian "suntam"
other Romance: from L "centum" (hundred)
gmclat words
Germanic: from L "centum"
Romanian: from Thracian "suntam"
other Romance: from PG "hundaradą"

Germanic: from PG "þūsundī"
Romanian: from L "mīlia" (thousands)
other Romance: from L "mīlle" (thousand)
gmclat words
Germanic: from L "mīlia"
Romanian: from PG "þūsundijôz"
other Romance: from PG "þūsundī"

Germanic/Romance: from L "mīlle" (thousand) + L "-ōnem" [agentive, nicknames (acc)]
gmclat words
Germanic/Romance: from PG "þūsundī" + PG "-ilingaz"

English/Portuguese (Brazil)/Romanian also: from L "bi-" (two-part, twice) + [MILLION]
Portuguese (European): [THOUSAND] + [MILLION] + [pl]
other Germanic/other Romance: from [MILLION] + PG "harduz" (hard, brave)
gmclat words
English/Portuguese (Brazil)/Romanian also: from PG "twi-" + [MILLION]
Portuguese (European): [THOUSAND] + [MILLION] + [pl]
other Germanic/other Romance: from [MILLION] + L "dūrus"

English/Portuguese (Brazil): from L "tri-" (three) + [MILLION]
Romanian: ????? [multiple contradictory sources]
other Germanic/other Romance: from L "bi-" (two-part, twice) + [MILLION]
gmclat words
English/Portuguese (Brazil)/Romanian also: from PG "þri-" + [MILLION]
Romanian: ?????
other Germanic/other Romance: from PG "twi-" + [MILLION]
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

some Norman dialects developed /ð/ from palatalization of /r/ or desibilantization of /z/
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
dhok

Post by dhok »

I'm particularly intrigued by a Romance language that looks like English. You'd presumably have serious reduction of the verbal system...[eɪ eɪm, tʰaʊ eɪmz, ɪl eɪm, nu:s eɪməm, wu:s eɪməs, ɪlz eɪmən]?

The verbal system is going to collapse from the stress shift, although then again it only half-collapsed in French (and this brings to mind a particularly tortured pronunciation of French by a naïve Englishman). Alternatively you could get some wacky stress shifts across the paradigm--what if the imperfect were amave, pronounced [ə'meɪv]?

I'm sort of wondering what you'd get if you did this to Greek...
Estav

Post by Estav »

I don't understand why it would be considered objectionable in the first place to use Classical Latin phonology as a starting point. For the purpose of sound changes, it's pretty much correct to take the phonological system of Classical Latin as a direct ancestor of modern Romance phonologies. Classical Latin has no important phonological innovations that are not shared with the Romance languages—the phonological differences between "Classical Latin" and "Vulgar Latin" are almost all shared Romance innovations, which as you've pointed out are in many cases not even shared between 100% of Romance languages anyway (like the vowel mergers that go different ways in Western Romance, Eastern Romance, and Sardinian). Vocabulary differences are more notable, but irrelevant to your project if I understand it correctly.

Morphology is maybe the area that will require the most thought about how to handle characteristics of Classical Latin for your project. E.g. the sound change "dēns" > "deese" implies that you're using the Classical Latin nominative case as the basis of a modern singular form, whereas as far as I know no modern Romance language has a form derived from "dēns" as opposed to the stem dent- found in other case-forms.
GreenBowtie wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 am as far as sound change lists, so far all i have is what i was able to gather from the wikipedia article on the phonological history of french, and those have not yielded results that look remotely correct, so i still need to retool them. i would be greatly appreciative if anyone has links to basically any comprehensive lists of sound changes for any germanic or romance language
Are your own lists of sound changes available for review somewhere? I'd be interested in taking a look and I might have some suggestions, if you think that would be helpful. I don't know how you have set them up, but I'd guess it makes sense to test them on the historical example words first and then use them for your project after you've verified that they get the correct outcomes.
Emily

Post by Emily »

yes, i'm still trying to figure out how exactly to work that -- clearly the irl romance languages derived most of their (singular) nouns from the accusative/oblique forms while the germanic languages derived theirs from the nominative forms, so as with many aspects of this project i need to make a decision on which way to go. do i derive neo-english, neo-german etc from latin accusatives and neo-french et al from proto-germanic nominatives, because that's what those original languages (latin and proto-germanic) did? or do i derive neo-english nouns from the latin nominative and neo-french nouns from the accusative because that's what those daughter languages did? i'm leaning towards the latter, because afaict the use of accusative forms in nominative positions doesn't really seem to have started until VL or later (and, admittedly, because it causes more "alien" looking forms as a result -- deriving tooth from "dens" instead of "dentis", as you pointed out). but it would help if i had a better understanding not only of when the accusative forms took over but why. i found one source that suggests that the reason most romance nouns survived in their accusative form—with nominative-derived exceptions almost all being words referring to people—is because inanimate nouns were much more likely to be objects than subjects of sentences. this does make a certain kind of sense, but i don't see why this would be any different from any other language, including proto-germanic, which again led to nominative-derived nouns. if anyone has more information/explanations i would love to hear it

as far as the lists of sound changes, as i said the only ones i have are kind of janky, and are just my best guess at what the wikipedia article on french's phonological history is trying to indicate. i don't know what happened to whatever list of sound changes i must have used to make the vocabulary list in the second post but i don't have it anymore (if i ever did)
Bob

Post by Bob »

GreenBowtie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:44 am ...
Wow, that looks neat. Thank-you for posting this. You do some really neat stuff.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Actually, Bob’s post reminds me: whatever happened to this project? I’d still be interested to see the result of this.

Emily

Post by Emily »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 am Actually, Bob’s post reminds me: whatever happened to this project? I’d still be interested to see the result of this.
still plugging away at it. this is a long-term project, not one that's going to see clear results any time soon unfortunately. what i've been working on with it lately is this:
GreenBowtie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:44 am with the etymologies i've mostly just been collapsing everything that comes from the same root word(s) into one entry. but clearly the next step (and arguably what i should have been doing from the beginning) is instead listing the path each word took, by means of the SCA file numbers i developed, so i can run them through the rules and see what the forms will be
i've made a text document for each of the main languages i'm looking at (english, dutch, german, yiddish, danish, faroese, icelandic, norwegian, swedish; french, italian, portuguese, romanian, spanish) and have created headings/subheadings for the different paths. for example:
Latin > Romanian Vulgar Latin > Early Romanian > Romanian
meaningwordorigingermano-latin origin
acornghindăglāndemaikilōnų
afterdupădē + postab + after
applemărmelum (VL) < mālumapaliją
bluealbastrualbus + astrum (compound in VL)missa- + hwītaz
Latin borrowed into Romanian
adverbadverbadverbium (-ium lost in borrowing; possibly borrowed through French or German instead of directly from Latin?)tō + wurdą + -iþō
artarteartemlistį
Proto-Germanic > Frankish --> Old French > French --> Romanian
brownbrunbrūnazspādīx
graygrigrīsazcinereus
Outside source --> Romanian
meaningwordorigin
anklegleznă(Slavic source) < PSlav gleznъ
beanbobSerbo-Croatian
so this way, once i am able to find enough info to reliably create the sound change lists (again, any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!), i'll essentially have ready-made vocabulary lists to run through the SCA