Name That Language!

Natural languages and linguistics
cedh

Re: Random Thread

Post by cedh »

bradrn wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 am
Richard W wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:22 pm Your post would be on-topic in the game's thread.
Yes, I agree. Could we get this discussion moved to that thread please? (I don’t regularly visit this thread so only just saw this discussion now…)
Done.
bradrn

Re: Random Thread

Post by bradrn »

cedh wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:28 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 am
Richard W wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:22 pm Your post would be on-topic in the game's thread.
Yes, I agree. Could we get this discussion moved to that thread please? (I don’t regularly visit this thread so only just saw this discussion now…)
Done.
Thank you!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Karch

Re: Name That Language!

Post by Karch »

Vazega, mbilegana zerabilegara tevukwagha
kwanna dabatlegan kebaramagha;
ghaya dadadaga ma xuda teghala:
Batlambatleg kebarama Dadamazhigilla,
geramnagirega kedulaxana.
Zpaf kkuñb ñvneahttiñ wqxirftvn meof ñfañhsit.
Kkuñb ñvzxirf kvtañb kkuñf ñtmeaq sfañkqeanth.
Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Is this old rules, new rules?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Karch

Post by Karch »

I personally find the "new" rules rather counterproductive - for me, the fun is in narrowing the language down, not in blindly guessing.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Cushitic?

(As for rules, let’s maybe wait on any changes until we’ve all agreed to them.)

fusijui

Post by fusijui »

Karch wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:56 pm I personally find the "new" rules rather counterproductive - for me, the fun is in narrowing the language down, not in blindly guessing.
... both of which I find totally tedious and pointless; but fortunately those aren't the only options. Anyway, no surprise that I prefer the 'new rules' recently proposed, FWIW.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

As to the rules, does looking up a place name automatically disqualify one as a filthy Googlist? Obviously one is disqualified if one then stumbles into the text.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

bradrn wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:16 pm Cushitic?

I'd really like a rule that said that you had to give a reason for such guesses. Anyway, as Karch is indisposed or otherwise engaged (I know not which), phylogenetically close, but wrong.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

How about observing a hard limit on the total number of 'narrowing down' questions for each puzzle? I mean, this thread keeps turning into a game of Twenty Questions but with no actual limit to just twenty -- which basically turns this into a process that would be better automated. (There must already be apps for that.) So suppose we cap it at half a dozen tree-tracing questions -- for everyone, not per contestant?

Aside from discouraging and making more difficult that kind of strategy, it might make it slightly more interactive, in that we'd have to pay better attention to who's asked exactly what and how many chances are left for everyone to share.

At the same time, I'm really OK with each puzzle-presenter adopting their own standards on what kinds of questions they answer, how they answer them, and how long they want to let it all run before they call it and reveal the answer. Does there have to be One Rational Tidy System Allowing Correct Determination of Winnerdom?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Richard W wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:02 pm
bradrn wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:16 pm Cushitic?

I'd really like a rule that said that you had to give a reason for such guesses.
So would I!
Anyway, as Karch is indisposed or otherwise engaged (I know not which), phylogenetically close, but wrong.
Hmm… Omotic in that case? That’s pretty ‘phylogenetically close’.
fusijui wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:31 pm How about observing a hard limit on the total number of 'narrowing down' questions for each puzzle? I mean, this thread keeps turning into a game of Twenty Questions but with no actual limit to just twenty -- which basically turns this into a process that would be better automated. (There must already be apps for that.) So suppose we cap it at half a dozen tree-tracing questions -- for everyone, not per contestant?

Aside from discouraging and making more difficult that kind of strategy, it might make it slightly more interactive, in that we'd have to pay better attention to who's asked exactly what and how many chances are left for everyone to share.
It’s an idea… but I thought the aim was to get rid of tree-tracing altogether? As for interactivity, I know that I pay attention to those things anyway.
At the same time, I'm really OK with each puzzle-presenter adopting their own standards on what kinds of questions they answer, how they answer them, and how long they want to let it all run before they call it and reveal the answer.
I’m not sure I’m totally in favour of this idea… ‘how long they want to let it all run’ should definitely be in the purview of the presenter, but it might be a good idea to come to a consensus on which questions we can ask.
Does there have to be One Rational Tidy System Allowing Correct Determination of Winnerdom?
My thought behind that suggestion is that it might avoid arguments of the form, ‘My guess of Greek was definitely closer than his guess of Maybrat, how dare you suggest he won!’

Karch

Post by Karch »

It's neither Cushitic nor Omotic.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Chadic then?

fusijui

Post by fusijui »

bradrn wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:05 pm
At the same time, I'm really OK with each puzzle-presenter adopting their own standards on what kinds of questions they answer, how they answer them, and how long they want to let it all run before they call it and reveal the answer.
I’m not sure I’m totally in favour of this idea… ‘how long they want to let it all run’ should definitely be in the purview of the presenter, but it might be a good idea to come to a consensus on which questions we can ask.
Does there have to be One Rational Tidy System Allowing Correct Determination of Winnerdom?
My thought behind that suggestion is that it might avoid arguments of the form, ‘My guess of Greek was definitely closer than his guess of Maybrat, how dare you suggest he won!’
Well, as long as people playing have the need to be Winners in that way, I think the rules -- whatever they are -- can't avoid being disputed and tested all the time.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

🤷‍♂️ honrstly my instinct is to just tell you all to stop fussing about the rules since it's not a competitive game. Nobody's keeping score, so there's no way to lose. We're here to have fun.

My words would probably have more meaning if i were actually participating in the game myself .... i played a few rounds and actually got it right once .... i dont even remember how .... but the last few rounds have been such stumpers that my guesses have been completely wrong.

But even so, that's my suggestion .... let's allow the rules to be fungible and if we really get to the point where one person is upset that someone else stole their victory, then we'll just say that they both won. and if the person complaining is the one who hosted the round, well .... I dont know what to say, ...we did our best to play the game.
Karch

Post by Karch »

It is indeed Chadic!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

fusijui wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:36 pm Well, as long as people playing have the need to be Winners in that way, I think the rules -- whatever they are -- can't avoid being disputed and tested all the time.
I don’t have a need to win as such, but given that the winner gets to pick the next text, I do see the issue of deciding the winner as being of some importance!
Karch wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:13 pm It is indeed Chadic!
Oh, no… here we go with the tree-tracing again…

(Further suggestion for the rules: ‘no-one is allowed to pick a language from Sino-Tibetan, Austronesian or Afroasiatic’)

Anyway, West Chadic? In any case, it doesn’t look much like Biu-Mandara.

Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Pabappa wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:41 pm 🤷‍♂️ honrstly my instinct is to just tell you all to stop fussing about the rules since it's not a competitive game. Nobody's keeping score, so there's no way to lose. We're here to have fun.

My words would probably have more meaning if i were actually participating in the game myself .... i played a few rounds and actually got it right once ....
How would you know without keeping a personal score, albeit boolean?
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

bradrn wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 pm Anyway, West Chadic? In any case, it doesn’t look much like Biu-Mandara.
WRONG! Though I'll concede that that passage doesn't look much like the Mandara version.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Actually, looking at the sample text again, is it spoken in Cameroon by any chance?

EDIT: Having a closer look, perhaps not… even though the use of ⟨zh gh⟩ matches up, the use of ⟨kw tl⟩ doesn’t. Still, it’s worth a guess.