An IAL

Conworlds and conlangs
Travis B.

Re: An IAL

Post by Travis B. »

Richard W wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:27 pm But you only have syllable-initial plosives, so how English distinguishes coda occlusives is irrelevant.
In the English I am used to, the contrast of stressed non-intervocalic onset-initial plosives is mostly aspiration, while the contrast of unstressed intervocalic plosives, except for /t d/, is mostly voicing, with both contrasts operating for stressed intervocalic plosives, with non-intervocalic non-onset-initial plosives being neutralized, aside from vowel length allophony which operates in both environments (as initial plosives condition allophony in preceding words' final vowels).
Last edited by Travis B. on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

I have also thought about this thing, and would like to add that some languages have very different systems of allophony, which can really muddle things. Cf. e.g. Korean.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Qwynegold wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:08 am I have also thought about this thing, and would like to add that some languages have very different systems of allophony, which can really muddle things. Cf. e.g. Korean.
This is why I figured it would be best to be on the safe side and not use phonation or vowel length or like to distinguish segments.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I would be generally inclined to agree. I might've gone with a four-vowel system, but the three is probably easier for a large number of target speakers.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 am I would be generally inclined to agree. I might've gone with a four-vowel system, but the three is probably easier for a large number of target speakers.
Were this not an IAL, I would include a vowel length distinction along with the three-vowel system (e.g. Arabic), but as this is an IAL, and there are too many language varieties which lack vowel length distinctions (e.g. most Romance, most Sinitic, many Slavic) or hijack vowel length for something else (e.g. many Anglic) that I felt I couldn't do th at.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

And yet the urge to be artistic, it beckons!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

One thing to note is that coda /n/ can be realized as a nasal consonant, as nasalization of the preceding vowel, or both. It is sort of like Japanese /ɴ/ in this regard.

I am actually going to revamp the language so it has a standard V-shaped five vowel system, just because most common languages either have mid vowels as phonemes, or at least permit mid vowels as allophones (e.g. Mandarin, Arabic).
kodé

Post by kodé »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:15 pm One thing to note is that coda /n/ can be realized as a nasal consonant, as nasalization of the preceding vowel, or both. It is sort of like Japanese /ɴ/ in this regard.

I am actually going to revamp the language so it has a standard V-shaped five vowel system, just because most common languages either have mid vowels as phonemes, or at least permit mid vowels as allophones (e.g. Mandarin, Arabic).
That’ll decrease your homophones, and still keep it sufficiently IAL-ly. A lot of varieties of Arabic have /e o/ from former /ai au/, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

*thumbs up* In my experience here in Sweden, when Arabs get to a conversational level of Swedish they can produce at least five different vowels.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Swedish has a beautifully huge vowel inventory.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

It is useful to mention that in many Arabic dialects (modern Libyan, Egyptian, south Levantine, others), the descendants of the old short /ɪ ʊ/ are actually mid /e o/ [e o], even though they still get called "/ɪ ʊ/" (and "short i" and "short u") in linguistics works sometimes in order to emphasize their relationship with Classical Arabic's phonemes. The Classical short vowels were dropped at the end of words, but modern dialects generally have short word-final /i u e o æ/ anyway originating from other sources (long i /i:/, long u /u:/, reduced and conditionally raised -atun > -at > -ah > -a > /e/, the 3SG.MASC pronoun suffix -hu > /o/, and reduced -atun and /-a:/ > /æ/, respectively).

So besides the common ai au > e: o: change, you also have [e o] from other sources. And so comes Qwynegold's natural experience with how Arabs pronounce L2 Swedish in their accent.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:03 pm It is useful to mention that in many Arabic dialects (modern Libyan, Egyptian, south Levantine, others), the descendants of the old short /ɪ ʊ/ are actually mid /e o/ [e o], even though they still get called "/ɪ ʊ/" (and "short i" and "short u") in linguistics works sometimes in order to emphasize their relationship with Classical Arabic's phonemes. The Classical short vowels were dropped at the end of words, but modern dialects generally have short word-final /i u e o æ/ anyway originating from other sources (long i /i:/, long u /u:/, reduced and conditionally raised -atun > -at > -ah > -a > /e/, the 3SG.MASC pronoun suffix -hu > /o/, and reduced -atun and /-a:/ > /æ/, respectively).

So besides the common ai au > e: o: change, you also have [e o] from other sources. And so comes Qwynegold's natural experience with how Arabs pronounce L2 Swedish in their accent.
This I figured, even though I was not entirely sure of the specifics (I knew about ai au > e: o: already).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Should I forbid /ej/ and /ow/ because some major languages do not contrast an /e/, whatever that might be, with an /ej/, and likewise an /o/, whatever that might be, with an /ow/ (take for instance Mandarin, which effectively only has an /ej/ and an /ow/), and rather permit both [e ej] as allophones of /e/ and [o ow] as allophones of /o/?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:08 pm Should I forbid /ej/ and /ow/ because some major languages do not contrast an /e/, whatever that might be, with an /ej/, and likewise an /o/, whatever that might be, with an /ow/ (take for instance Mandarin, which effectively only has an /ej/ and an /ow/), and rather permit both [e ej] as allophones of /e/ and [o ow] as allophones of /o/?
I think that would be advisable. Many North American dialects of English don't really have a distinct /o/ phoneme (except the prerhotic [ɔ(ː)]) that is distinct from /ou/ either; distinct /e ei/ [ɛ ej] are preserved, but only the latter can be in all positions); Spanish might be a counterexample, but I can't think of any Spanish words with an /ou/ diphthong; I also believe German has neither /ei/ nor /ou/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ordinal Numbers

Ordinal numbers are expressed by placing nouns so qualified with what could be described as a verb or a particle, te, after it, followed by the number in question. Note that wa can be used here, like a relative clause, but unlike a normal verb, te is unmarked for tense or aspect and cannot be used as a main verb.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Causatives

Causative are formed by placing the causing subject before maka, followed by the caused subject, followed by the remainder of the clause. Note that topics go before the causing subject. Also note that auxiliary verbs may be associated with either verb, aside from ones denoting tense and aspect, which go before maka. Take, for instance:

Mi ya maka kani tipan.
1S PST.PFV CAUS dog eat
"I made the dog eat."

Mi ya maka kani ay tipan eta.
1S PST.PFV CAUS dog NEG eat food
"I made the dog not eat food."
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Some Useful Words

Here are some useful words, some of which I have used in my examples previously:
copulayi
"become"wera
"go"yiti
"come"kwema
"take"nema
"eat"tipan
"bite"pita
"say"sekya
"sit"sitya
"stand"sateya
"lie"rikya
"hold"kata
"push"taryuka
"pull"tena
"put"satera
"catch"pan
"walk"rupa
"run"rina
"milk"raka
"food"eta
"dog"kani
"cow"powi
"chicken"kan
"child"kinta
"son"son
"daughter"tota
"aunt"anta
"uncle"onka
"barn"kuryu
"carrot"myora
"stick"lina
"rock"rita
"grass"karasa
"bone"payna
"ball"pora
"goal"kora
"be.big"pika
"be.blue"paraw
"be.brown"parun
"be.loud"ruta
"be.round"run
"paint"parapa
"canvas"kanwasa
"dinosaur"taynasora
Last edited by Travis B. on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Great job, Travis!

But... there's something I don't like with your powers of ten.
Travis B. wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:10 am
one thousandmirya
one millionmiryon
one billionpiryon
one trilliontariryon
You translated trillion by a calque of the English, which transparently uses the word for three. But... why "three"? An (American) English trillion is three of... what exactly?

Originally, in the long scale, things worked like this:
NameMeaningValue
one million10^6
one billiona bi-million, a million million10^12
one trilliona tri-million, a million million million10^18
one N-llion(one million)^N10^6N
Several languages still use this system.

But, at some point, some scientists (a curse on them!) decided to use billion for 10^9 instead...
NameMeaningValue
one million10^6
one billion???10^9
one trillion???10^12
one N-llion???10^3(N+1)
This system makes less sense (the conversion between the name and the power of 10 isn't as logical). It's the one used in the US, and there has been widespread confusion ever since, when you're not sure which system is being used. I've seen countless news articles translating US EN a trillion dollars to FR un trillion de dollars, even though a French trillion isn't the same as an English trillion.

A good IAL should certainly help reduce the confusion, not keep it! So I suggest you find something else.
  • One possible solution would be to have a system based on multiples of 10^3 (not 10^6): so, for instance, 10^6 could be one tworya (i.e. a mirya mirya), 10^9 could be one tarirya, etc. That way, the conversion between the name and the power of 10 would be easier: N-rya means 10^3N.
  • Another idea would be a system based on metric prefixes, so the word for 10^6 could be mega, 10^9 could be giga, and so on (I totally stole the idea from this article); unfortunately your IAL doesn't use voiced plosives so giga isn't possible, and kika would be too similar to kinka.
Sorry for the rant, it's a bit of a pet peeve.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:41 am
  • Another idea would be a system based on metric prefixes, so the word for 10^6 could be mega, 10^9 could be giga, and so on (I totally stole the idea from this article); unfortunately your IAL doesn't use voiced plosives so giga isn't possible, and kika would be too similar to kinka.
You know, I will run with this idea:
103kiro
106meka
109keka (changed the vowel to disambiguate)
1012tera
1015peta
1018eka
1021seta
1024yota
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Action and Result Nominalizations

Action and result nominalizations are similar to complement clauses, but subjects and objects can both be omitted. These are introduced with the following particles:
action nominalizationre
result nominalizationno
Optionally these can be terminated with the particle wi used to also terminate complement clauses.