If natlangs were conlangs

Natural languages and linguistics
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: If natlangs were conlangs

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I'm sure somebody must have mentioned it already, but Japanese has a frightening orthography that does things with Kanji I would never have dared! Why would the creator give so many readings to 生 — it can be なま (nama) or せい (sei) on its own, but also い (i) in 生き (いき - iki) and う (u) in 生む(うむ - umu) and their derivatives. There's also a Sino-Japanese reading しょう (shō), though it's fairly rare, to my understanding. I know it's nice being alive, but this is rather absurd.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:31 pmI'm sure somebody must have mentioned it already, but Japanese has a frightening orthography that does things with Kanji I would never have dared! Why would the creator give so many readings to 生 — it can be なま (nama) or せい (sei) on its own, but also い (i) in 生き (いき - iki) and う (u) in 生む(うむ - umu) and their derivatives. There's also a Sino-Japanese reading しょう (shō), though it's fairly rare, to my understanding. I know it's nice being alive, but this is rather absurd.
Related anime clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHd3xfDzTg8
Don't use English or katakana for everything! I can't remember those!
Don't write 鎮魂歌 (chinkonka) 'elegy' and read it レクイエム rekuiemu (requiem)!
Don't write 禁忌 (kinki) 'forbidden, taboo' and read it タブー tabuu (taboo)!
Don't write 聖戦 (seisen) 'holy war' and read it ジハード jihaado (jihad)!
Greek mythology, the Bible, Norse mythology, Japanese mythology, don't start talking about them just because you did a little research!
If you don't properly explain, I can't understand what you mean!
Hittite...
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Well, that was a thing.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

OK, inventor of French, it's great that you've got some derivational morphology worked out, but really...

fier 'trust'
> fiance (nominalization) 'trust' > 'engagement'
> fiancer (verbalization) 'get engaged'
> fiançailles (nominalization) 'engagement'

Don't tell me, next is fiançaillage 'engagement'.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I would not bat an eye at that being a French word.

Also, English is a... very interesting idea for a Germanic language, but I have a feeling the orthography is a little too creative — especially with how half-Gallicised it is, obscuring all those nice historical sound changes — and the phonology might sound a little nicer without so many /ai/ and /au/ diphthongs all over; I admit that, while /maus/ and /mais/ being a singular-plural patterning, writing one mouse and the other mice is taking even this degree too far.

I approve of keeping the dental fricatives, however.
Last edited by Rounin Ryuuji on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 am OK, inventor of French, it's great that you've got some derivational morphology worked out, but really...

fier 'trust'

My personal favourite (in English) is emergeemergency.
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:53 am I would not bat an eye at that being a French word.

Also, English is a... very interesting idea for a Germanic language, but I have a feeling the orthography is a little too creative — especially with how half-Gallicised it is, obscuring all those nice historical sound changes — and the phonology might sound a little nicer without so many /ai/ and /au/ diphthongs all over; I admit that, while /maus/ and /mais/ being a singular-plural patterning, writing one mouse and the other [/i]mice[/i] is taking even this degree too far.

I approve of keeping the dental fricatives, however.
Ah yes, orthographies are a regular topic of discussion here. The usual mentions are English, French, Irish, Tibetan, Kiowa and the frighteningly creative SENĆOŦEN; lesser-known ones are Gwoyeu Romatzyh, Northern Qiang and Mediæval Arpitan.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

zompist wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 am OK, inventor of French, it's great that you've got some derivational morphology worked out, but really...

fier 'trust'

I hadn't even realized the connection with confiance and fier! And I think the only reason fiançaillage isn't a word is because engagements aren't as important as they used to be.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

The Papuan language Burmeso has what is possibly the most perverse system of noun classes I have ever seen (Donohue 2001, Foley 2018). To start us off, there are six classes:

I: Masculine and general animate; largest class (‘contains almost half of all nouns’)
II: Feminine
III: Miscellaneous (‘containing nouns for body parts, insects and lizards, many aspects of material culture like axes and canoes, some foods, and many natural phenomena’)
IV: Body parts, mass nouns (including e.g. ‘head’, ‘sun’)
V: Sago trees and bananas only
VI: Arrows, coconuts and rice only

You may think that this system might be just a teensy bit on the lopsided side. Yet this is just the beginning! To continue, the verb agrees in noun class with its absolutive argument. Matching the six noun classes, there are six agreement markers: j-, g-, s-, b-, n-, t-. Now, at this point, you might be tempted into thinking that each noun class is marked with one of these prefixes. Do not be fooled! Such a crude system is clearly not nearly suitable enough for the refined linguistic tastes of the Burmeso people. Instead, they use the following rather more linguistically interesting system:

burmeso agreement.png
burmeso agreement.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 13485 times

…yep, Burmeso halves its effective agreement marker inventory by separating verbs into two classes, then makes those three agreement markers stretch to six noun classes! The verbal classes, you will no doubt be pleased to hear, are lexically determined, with no particular regularity. Thankfully, the two sets at least have the same patterns, with j-, g-, s- in A corresponding to b-, n-, t- with B. Oh, and I should probably mention that pronouns agree using exactly the same markers; as Foley says, ‘first person is treated like a feminine noun, while second person like a masculine one’. Possessive prefixes, too, use the same markers: g- for first person singular, j- for second and third person singular, and s- for non-singular.

Ah, but this is not the end of the story! For Burmeso also has a cross-cutting gender system, marked on adjectives (except for the ones which don’t agree at all, and the ones which agree in number only, and the three which agree in both gender and noun class, as well as attributive verbs, which also agree in both gender and noun class). There are three genders: masculine, feminine and neuter. ‘A-ha!’, I hear you cry, ‘but surely masculine and feminine genders line up with noun classes I and II!’. I am sorry to say, but this is not so, though there is a tendency to correlation. Additionally, each gender is divided into two sub-classes, so Burmeso actually has six genders: M1, M2, F1, F2, N1 and N2. Gender agreement on adjectives is via seven suffixes: -ab, -an, -o(ra), -od, -od(o), -or, -or(o). Yet, despite having more suffixes than genders, the system somehow still manages to be underspecified. In the singular, the sub-groups are merged:

M1/2: -ab
F1/2: -an
N1/2: -o(ra)

And in the plural, the main groups are merged, except for neuter:

M/F1: -od(o)
M/F2: -or
N1: -od
N2: -or(o)

Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

Someone who created Proto Indo European certainly disliked chemistry in high school.

And Chinese WTF? Are we supposed to learn a symbol for every word?
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:11 am
What?

How in the world did a system like this develop?
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Is it that surprising? How did any noun classification system develop?

At least the categories would seem to make cultural sense. Sago and bananas are indigenous staples in New Guinea; coconuts and rice seem to have been introduced from elsewhere.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Vijay wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:53 pm Is it that surprising? How did any noun classification system develop?
And the gender subclasses are called animate and inanimate, so the gender mergers aren't so weird.
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

The creator of Ubykh was very creative. Just two vowels :? .
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Richard W wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:57 pm
Vijay wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:53 pm Is it that surprising? How did any noun classification system develop?
And the gender subclasses are called animate and inanimate, so the gender mergers aren't so weird.
Nominally, yes, that’s what Donohue calls them; but Foley points out that there’s actually not very much about them which is ‘animate’ or ‘inanimate’.
Otto Kretschmer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:50 pm The creator of Ubykh was very creative. Just two vowels :? .
Also Margi, Arrernte and (possibly) Ndu languages.

Richard W

Post by Richard W »

bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:08 pm Nominally, yes, that’s what Donohue calls them; but Foley points out that there’s actually not very much about them which is ‘animate’ or ‘inanimate’.
I suspect you don't appreciate the difference between PIE *h₁n̥gʷnis and *péh₂wr̥, 'fire'.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:08 pm
Otto Kretschmer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:50 pm The creator of Ubykh was very creative. Just two vowels :? .
Also Margi, Arrernte and (possibly) Ndu languages.
Tocharian A is the worst conlang - vertical vowel systems are bad enough, but developing them in Indo-European?
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:04 pm And Chinese WTF? Are we supposed to learn a symbol for every word?
Isn't that how English is alleged to work? One problem is that schemes like ideographic description sequences don't quite work.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Richard W wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:18 pm
bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:08 pm Nominally, yes, that’s what Donohue calls them; but Foley points out that there’s actually not very much about them which is ‘animate’ or ‘inanimate’.
I suspect you don't appreciate the difference between PIE *h₁n̥gʷnis and *péh₂wr̥, 'fire'.
Not only do I not appreciate it, I didn’t even know PIE had two separate words for it! Anyway, here’s Foley’s exact words:
Foley wrote: Donohue divides [noun classes] into sub-classes according to animacy, claiming that there is an animate and an inanimate subclass for each gender, but looking at the membership of the classes, I see no grounds for that. His animate neuter class contains no nouns with animate reference, and while it is true that his masculine animate class contains nouns with male human referents, it also contains nouns with inanimate referents, no different from the inanimate masculine class. So I will designate them just with numerals as the subclasses of the genders, i. e. M1.
Richard W wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:40 am
Otto Kretschmer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:04 pm And Chinese WTF? Are we supposed to learn a symbol for every word?
Isn't that how English is alleged to work?
no, it isn’t.

Richard W

Post by Richard W »

bradrn wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 amno, it isn’t.
The Chinese also work out how to pronounce compound ideographs they haven't seen before.
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

German has fantastically interesting syntax and nice morphology as well, but god it sounds ugly. There are so many great sounding Germanic languages as well, why in the world would you make a Germanic lang and then have it sound like that?
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)