Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Venting thread

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 am I fear I may be having a midlife crisis. I’m not even 30.
That makes me think of my realization that I will be quite old at twice my current age...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Minor vent: I’m trying to build a faux-Latin language for my conworld and I am having difficulty tuning the sound changes to get the feel of it while not completely ripping it off or getting uninteresting results.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I've made a new thread for the discussions of generations and computers:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=877
malloc

Post by malloc »

In some rare good news, my health issues have mostly lessened since their worst several months ago, enough that I felt comfortable waiting for my yearly checkup to address them. Unfortunately some new issues have arisen in their place over the past few weeks. The most striking of these is something fleshy and sensitive under my nipples, presumably gynecomastia. My previous issues could presumably attributed to fatigue or hypochondria, but this has clear physical signs on my body. My yearly checkup is only three months away and any appointment I make now would take weeks or even months. It hardly seems worth the trouble unless those one or two months will make the difference between death and living a full and satisfying life.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

That's great news on one department, and probably a good decision in the other :)
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Qualifying Exams coming up next week.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

rotting bones wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:12 pm Qualifying Exams coming up next week.
Good Luck!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

It's almost midnight, and I realize I haven't had a proper meal today. And this isn't the first time this week (or month) this has happened.

The thing is that, in the past, this normally happens when I'm stressed, but the deadlines I was trying to meet have passed, so that stress is (nominally) gone!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

doctor shark wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:43 pm It's almost midnight, and I realize I haven't had a proper meal today. And this isn't the first time this week (or month) this has happened.

The thing is that, in the past, this normally happens when I'm stressed, but the deadlines I was trying to meet have passed, so that stress is (nominally) gone!
That sounds serious. You have to force yourself to eat on a schedule. Eat granola bars or Meal Squares if you can't tolerate anything else.
Raphael wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:30 pm
rotting bones wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:12 pm Qualifying Exams coming up next week.
Good Luck!
Thank you.

Exams over. I might have failed the first one. I got my act together after that. I probably passed the rest.

(Edit: I didn't get enough sleep on the night before my first exam. Now I have to get back to my publication effort.)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

doctor shark wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:43 pm It's almost midnight, and I realize I haven't had a proper meal today. And this isn't the first time this week (or month) this has happened.

Aw, that sucks. Maybe the current situation has something to with that? (Last year really fucked up my sleeping / eating habits.)
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Does anything happen when somebody is German or English? No? Well stop fucking whining that people are, and accept them as human beings. Nothing happens if we don't treat privilege as like original sin.

EDIT: while i do mean what I say, I know there are very much infinitely worse problems on this planet and this is just empty venting
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Starbeam wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:17 pm Does anything happen when somebody is German or English? No? Well stop fucking whining that people are, and accept them as human beings. Nothing happens if we don't treat privilege as like original sin.

EDIT: while i do mean what I say, I know there are very much infinitely worse problems on this planet and this is just empty venting
You have a point, which is one I've made before. Privilege is just advantages one is born into, nothing more. You are not a worse or better person based on being more privileged or less privileged, which is something a lot of people imply. One should not be blamed for the circumstances of one's birth.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

You have a point, which is one I've made before. Privilege is just advantages one is born into, nothing more. You are not a worse or better person based on being more privileged or less privileged, which is something a lot of people imply. One should not be blamed for the circumstances of one's birth.

My own view is that being born privileged isn't a sin. But assuming everyone has the same experiences and has it as easy as you do is.
You see that with the recent batches of Internet misogynists.
(Romain Gary once said: 'I'm a bourgeois. But I keep my nose outside, and I take baths.' There are, I think, worse outlooks.)

Yes, people-- and Internet armchair activists in particular -- do imply a lot of insulting of offensive things. As Larry Niven said, 'There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it.' To which I'd add : 'especially on the Internet.'
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 am

My own view is that being born privileged isn't a sin. But assuming everyone has the same experiences and has it as easy as you do is.
You see that with the recent batches of Internet misogynists.
(Romain Gary once said: 'I'm a bourgeois. But I keep my nose outside, and I take baths.' There are, I think, worse outlooks.)

Yes, people-- and Internet armchair activists in particular -- do imply a lot of insulting of offensive things. As Larry Niven said, 'There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it.' To which I'd add : 'especially on the Internet.'
Yes, there is a difference between being privileged, and assuming that everyone is similarly privileged, and said blindness may be willful, or it may just be a consequence of not being exposed to enough of the world to know better (not that ignorance is an excuse).
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

I mostly made my original statement not in terms of personal shame or guilt, but moreso others stigmatizing anyone born German (for example) like it affects them or is anything but a burden on its own. Why is an acceptable goal isolation and hatred?

Before anyone gets on my jock again, I am Jewish myself and lost all relatives but the ones I directly descend from to Nazis.
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I've been living in a shelter/transitional housing program. As of this morning, I see, we're now "provided the opportunity" [sic] to a) donate our "freshly employed" [sic] tampons or pads to the new male member of our women-only shelter so that they can be be worn to validate that person's gender identity, or, we get the chance to b) provide notarized documentation of our medical inability as a "person who menustrate" [sic] to produce such articles, or -- here's the escape clause, hey, it's all good! -- or, c) acknowledge that we're violating the terms and conditions of the housing program and freely and voluntarily commit to vacate the premises within 72 hours [of some dateline nobody has provided] -- (and thereby, de jure, forfeit future eligibility for emergency shelter or public housing resources in a multi-county, ~70% population area of this state).

Mondays, man.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

What the actual fuck.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

What the hell...
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Please tell me that is a satire...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

That's really fucked up.