Obituaries

Conworlds and conlangs
alice

Obituaries

Post by alice »

One or two of you may remember my conlang Gwelhesh from some time ago. This conlang has proved to be unsustainable and has been withdrawn from existence.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vardelm

Re: Obituaries

Post by Vardelm »

May Gwelhesh rest in peace. What was the cause of death, if it's not too soon to inquire?
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
alice

Post by alice »

Principally the awkwardness of shoehorning Germanic initial clusters into P-Celtic. I had to turn most fricatives into stops, which not only created too many mergers, but also created some frankly ridiculous-sounding words.

Of course, you can use this thread to announce any other conlangs which have ceased to be, or any other euphemisms thereof.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

alice wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:15 pm Principally the awkwardness of shoehorning Germanic initial clusters into P-Celtic. I had to turn most fricatives into stops, which not only created too many mergers, but also created some frankly ridiculous-sounding words.
Sounds like complications from surgery!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

(I hope the necro will be pardoned. I’m trying to be more active on the board; I take much and give too little in return. I think this was a substantial enough post to justify bringing this one back.)

I think of myself as starting conlanging in earnest in 2009, but it wasn’t my first attempt at the craft. To take a look at that one, we have to go to 2002 or 2003.

Here lies…whatever language I tried to invent in sixth grade.

I received several issues of Muse magazine at the end of fifth grade, given to me by my teacher; one of these had a story about Esperanto in it. So naturally I decided I would make a (completely regular!) auxlang and succeed where Zamenhof failed!

Yeah, that died a quiet and ignominious death. It was utterly awful and nooblangy. I had a Latin-esque six-case system where the vowel marked the case (the Cardinal vowels plus /ai/ <y>). A significant proportion of the vocabulary came from Latin or English. I all but cringe now, thinking about it.

This conlang is survived by the languages of Twin Aster and Akana. (And Istion, I guess.) In lieu of money or flowers, the family of the deceased request you do something extra-special and challenging to you the next time you conlang.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Here lies my first conlang Arkhæn/Arkhæo/Arkheo, developed when I was 10 or 11, so I guess 2007/2008.

My first foray into conlanging, it was heavily inspired by the language of the TzHaar people, a race of volcano monsters found in Runescape. It wasn’t really a conlang though, but a relex.

As my knowledge of linguistics grew, the character of the language changed, unfortunately it changed to being more of an unsatisfying Slavic-clone, aesthetically and grammatically. When I discovered the concept of triconsonantal languages in 2013/2014, I immediately dumped it entirely and put all my energy into a new conlang.

All that remains of it are scattered posts in deep time and these two links:
http://www.frathwiki.com/index.php?titl ... Arkéoskij)
https://www.frathwiki.com/Our_Father#Arkh.C3.A6n

However, the language is succeeded, at least spiritually, by Vrkhazhian, my second (and technically only) conlang and my most developed one.