Venting thread

Topics that can go away
alynnidalar

Re: Venting thread

Post by alynnidalar »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:35 am Can landlords just schedule apartment inspections in the US? That's awful!

(In France they're much like vampires. They can only get in if you invite them.)
Having an annual apartment inspection is not uncommon in the US, yes. I can't say for certain how it works in other places but in Michigan, landlords are obligated to give at least 24 hours notice if they do it (the places I've lived all gave several days' notice). It's not to dig into your business, it's to check things like the water heater and furnace (if each apartment has their own, they're frequently only accessible from within that apartment) and to make sure you haven't completely trashed the place. They aren't going over every corner with a fine-toothed comb unless you have a truly dreadful landlord; who's got time for that?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Thank you both.

I had a fairly crazy landlady, who'd call me to complain that there were spots on the bathroom joints. I also once went home to find out she had installed a dehumidifier the size of a small car. On the plus side, she did compliment me on my choice of books.
(OK, that's not a typical case. She was actually nice enough, but um, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I was happy to move out.)
doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:17 am Minor vent: Waiting around for grant decision sucks, especially since the most likely way to extend my contract to stay in the Netherlands is by getting one (or more) of these...
Good luck!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 am
doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:17 am Minor vent: Waiting around for grant decision sucks, especially since the most likely way to extend my contract to stay in the Netherlands is by getting one (or more) of these...
Good luck!
Seconded!
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I am supposed to apply warm compresses to my eye, but I'm too tired to leave the bed. Even as recently as Friday, a student in a class I'm grading requested a meeting, and the meeting went well. I think I have to stop taking antibiotics. Soon, I won't be able to get up and starve to death.

PS. Annoyingly, I'm dropping everything I pick up today.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ugh. I hope you get better.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Same. I hope things get better soon!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

That really sucks. Sorry to hear, and hope you feel better soon.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Thank you, all. Visually, it looks like I'll be okay is I stop taking them now.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

About 11 months after I got my new mouse, it's already showing first signs of the things that made me put the previous mouse in a drawer.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

Mice have just as brief lifespans as mice, in my experience ;(
alice

Post by alice »

Putting the poor thing away in a drawer isn't going to do any good, either. Imagine the smell.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

One or the other leg of my flight home has been delayed four times. This includes two gate changes, one of which involved walking about the entire length of the airport to get to a completely different concourse. I am still on the ground. It says “Boarding in 4 min”; we’d better this time.
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

On a travel-related note: the Amtrak train (the Coast Starlight), which I had been planning to take a few weeks from now to visit a friend in Portland, has been canceled, due to a bridge on the route being damaged by the Lava fire (side note: who names these? It's not like the fire was started by a volcano).
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I hope they fix it soon -- that's a nice trip, one I used to take pretty frequently. (Back in the 'oughties, the line scheduling problems were so bad it wasn't uncommon to get there half a day late, or more, but I think that's not a thing any more.) Hope you can get there!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

zyxw59 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:21 pm On a travel-related note: the Amtrak train (the Coast Starlight), which I had been planning to take a few weeks from now to visit a friend in Portland, has been canceled, due to a bridge on the route being damaged by the Lava fire (side note: who names these? It's not like the fire was started by a volcano).
I hope it's fixed soon, too. Amtrak is woefully underappreciated.

Also, I like the names of a lot of Amtrak train lines — the name Coast Starlight reminded me of that.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

zyxw59 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:21 pm (side note: who names these? It's not like the fire was started by a volcano).
Wildfires are generally named for some landmark near their point of origin. The Lava fire started near Lava Beds National Monument so it’s either named for that or some other feature (such as a road) also named after the lava beds.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I had a few unfortunate encounters with anti-vaxxers. (Including a doctor. What the hell is wrong with some people?)
It's amazing how consistent the spiel is from one anti-vaxxer to the next: you get the idea that the vaccines have somehow, not been tested, horror stories about mysterious side effects, and always something about miracle 'treatments' that the Illuminati don't want you to know about.

It's in fact so coherent a narrative that it feels like a political or a marketing campaign, and I'd love to know who's behind it. Um. How paranoid is it when you start looking for the conspiracy behind conspiracy theories?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I believe there is a book or something in which the conspiracy theory is... codified, I guess.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Well, it's like what I was saying about the Great Steal and Deep State . Where was the actual conspiracy? With Trump meeting with the other conspiracists.

Also, Tronche en Biais mentions the money behind Hold-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FHAuO65aw
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This sounds like a very stupid thing to vent about, but I'm having trouble with zeptoforth. Specifically, I am getting memory corruption when I attempt to do a tight loop with my newly upgraded do-loop functionality when an interrupt which touches the data stack is also firing. The corruption is very sporadic, but appears to occur more frequently the tighter the loop is, implying that it has to do with with the interrupt's interaction with the LOOP or +LOOP words. For a while I thought it was an atomicity problem in the code calling LOOP or +LOOP, but I have ruled that out by using specifically atomic single instructions (this is a single-core system) to manipulate the data stack. This leaves me wondering what is going on, as the registers R0-R3, along with the link register, used for most things outside of the data stack and the return stack are automatically saved by interrupt handling, so that should not be a source of corruption. What is even more confusing is why this is affecting nothing else but do-loops.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.