English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Linguoboy

Re: English questions

Post by Linguoboy »

And AACR2/RDA rules (the ones librarians use) are that you only capitalise proper nouns and adjectives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone else have considerable central versus back allophony of /uː ʊ oʊ/ in English? For me each of these can be any of [ʉ ʉu u], [ʉ̞ ʉ̞ʊ ʊ], or [ɵ̞ ɵ̞o̞ o̞] respectively, with the first being if between two coronals or following a coronal and word-final, the second being if following a coronal and preceding a non-coronal, and the third being if following a non-coronal or if initial. Examples include for each of these sets are toot, tube, and kook for the /uː/, soot, took, and cook for the /ʊ/, and tote, soak, and coke for /oʊ/.
Last edited by Travis B. on Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:09 pm Does anyone else have considerable central versus back allophony of /uː ʊ oʊ/ in English? For me each of these can be any of [ʉ ʉu u], [ʉ̞ ʉ̞ʊ ʊ], or [ɵ̞ ɵ̞o̞ o̞] respectively, with the first being if between two coronals or following a coronal and word-final, the second being if following a coronal and preceding a non-coronal, and the third being if following a non-coronal or if initial Examples include for each of these sets are toot, tube, and kook for the /uː/, soot, took, and cook for the /ʊ/, and tote, soak, and coke for /oʊ/.
what I'm used to is the back allophone only being conditioned by following /l/ - coke [kʰəwˀk] vs. coal [k̠ʰoʶlʶ], foot [fʊˀt] vs. full [fl̩ʶ], kook [kʰɵʉ̯ˀk] vs. cool [k̠ʰuʶlʶ]. but there might be more detailed variation in /uw/ that's too subtle or too optional for me to notice
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:51 pm
Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:09 pm Does anyone else have considerable central versus back allophony of /uː ʊ oʊ/ in English? For me each of these can be any of [ʉ ʉu u], [ʉ̞ ʉ̞ʊ ʊ], or [ɵ̞ ɵ̞o̞ o̞] respectively, with the first being if between two coronals or following a coronal and word-final, the second being if following a coronal and preceding a non-coronal, and the third being if following a non-coronal or if initial Examples include for each of these sets are toot, tube, and kook for the /uː/, soot, took, and cook for the /ʊ/, and tote, soak, and coke for /oʊ/.
what I'm used to is the back allophone only being conditioned by following /l/ - coke [kʰəwˀk] vs. coal [k̠ʰoʶlʶ], foot [fʊˀt] vs. full [fl̩ʶ], kook [kʰɵʉ̯ˀk] vs. cool [k̠ʰuʶlʶ]. but there might be more detailed variation in /uw/ that's too subtle or too optional for me to notice
For me, /uːl ʊl oʊl/ are realized as [uʊ ʊ̞ o̞ʊ] even when preceded by coronals, which would normally impart centralization onto them. For instance, I have coke [kʰo̞ʔk] versus coal [kʰo̞(ː)ʊ], foot [fʊʔ] versus full [fʊ̞(ː)], and kook [kʰuʔk] versus cool [kʰu(ː)ʊ].
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:09 pm Does anyone else have considerable central versus back allophony of /uː ʊ oʊ/ in English? For me each of these can be any of [ʉ ʉu u], [ʉ̞ ʉ̞ʊ ʊ], or [ɵ̞ ɵ̞o̞ o̞] respectively, with the first being if between two coronals or following a coronal and word-final, the second being if following a coronal and preceding a non-coronal, and the third being if following a non-coronal or if initial. Examples include for each of these sets are toot, tube, and kook for the /uː/, soot, took, and cook for the /ʊ/, and tote, soak, and coke for /oʊ/.
I think fronting of /uː/ after coronals is widespread in American English. As a BrE speaker, I have a contrast between /uː/ and /juː/ here, though in practice my accent tends towards yod coalescence, and /uː/ is strongly fronted after /j/.

There's also the tendency for fronting to be blocked by a following /l/. I once looked at some formants of my own pronunciations, and found that actually /uː/ and /oʊ/ in that position were diphthongs which started in a similar position to the more typical allophones but which then glided strongly backwards. (My usual GOAT is somewhat fronted, but not unrounded nor as strongly dipthongised as in RP; I think [öː] is a reasonable transcription.)
Seirios

Post by Seirios »

This must have been discussed here before, but a question for rhotic speakers (esp. NAmE I guess?): do you pronounce what's commonly transcribed as /ɚ/ /ɝ/ as a syllabic consonant?

A follow-up question: if that's possible, does that produce vowelless sentences for English (at least in your variety)?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Seirios wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 pm This must have been discussed here before, but a question for rhotic speakers (esp. NAmE I guess?): do you pronounce what's commonly transcribed as /ɚ/ /ɝ/ as a syllabic consonant?

A follow-up question: if that's possible, does that produce vowelless sentences for English (at least in your variety)?
I have this, but I don't understand the question... whether it's a vowel or a consonant strikes me as a theoretical issue, and one of the first things I learned in phonetics is that it's a continuum, not a binary. Catford, for instance, describes /ɚ/ as a rhotacized vowel.

I'm not sure what you're after, but you can certainly come up with sentences with only /ɚ/. "Bird cursed words" etc.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Seirios wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 pmA follow-up question: if that's possible, does that produce vowelless sentences for English (at least in your variety)?
Mm hmm.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Seirios wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 pm This must have been discussed here before, but a question for rhotic speakers (esp. NAmE I guess?): do you pronounce what's commonly transcribed as /ɚ/ /ɝ/ as a syllabic consonant?
Yes, I pronounce it as [ʁ̩ˤ], identical in realization to my [ʁˤ] for coda /r/.
Seirios wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 pm A follow-up question: if that's possible, does that produce vowelless sentences for English (at least in your variety)?
Yes.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

That's a theoretical question, but I think of it as just a vowel. Does the existence of semivowels mean that high vowels are syllabic consonants?
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone else use a tag or in English? Tag oder in German is well-known, but I have not seen anything commenting on tag or in English.

(Now that I take a second look, the Wiki does refer to tag or in English.)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I use it to soften offers — Would you like help finding a book, or...?
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:37 pm Does anyone else use a tag or in English? Tag oder in German is well-known, but I have not seen anything commenting on tag or in English.

(Now that I take a second look, the Wiki does refer to tag or in English.)
I've only heard it by non-native speakers in Germany (and occasionally by native speakers in Germany whose English has been substantially influenced by non-native forms). What Rounin Ryuuji is saying is common, but it's a bit of a different phenomenon because it is not turning a statement into a question. It can be added to a question or a statement and doesn't change the sentence type. It's just basically indicating there are other options.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone else here pronounce initial /kw ɡw/ in English as [kʷʰ ɡʷ~kʷ], i.e. not as two distinct segments but as a single labialized consonant?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I'm pretty sure my /kw/ is phonetically [kʷʰ] — it's articulated very quickly, like two sounds superposed on top of each-other, or with only a very brief offglide — but as for /gw/, I think it's, weirdly enough, [gw]; I feel like I take noticeably longer to articulate the second one (I also partially-devoice initial voiceless consonants, but not fully, as some speakers do, so it isn't really truly [kw]), and it feels like the [w] is more fully realised than in /kw/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:58 pm I'm pretty sure my /kw/ is phonetically [kʷʰ] — it's articulated very quickly, like two sounds superposed on top of each-other, or with only a very brief offglide — but as for /gw/, I think it's, weirdly enough, [gw]; I feel like I take noticeably longer to articulate the second one (I also partially-devoice initial voiceless consonants, but not fully, as some speakers do, so it isn't really truly [kw]), and it feels like the [w] is more fully realised than in /kw/.
What I notice is that I round my lips before I even pronounce the stop, indicating that the stop itself is labialized; there is no transition from an unlabialized stop to a labialized glide for me in either case.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I think I do the lip-rounding in /kw/, but not with /gw/, which definitely has a glide in there; the only words I can think of with /gw/ off the top of my head are names like Guinivere, McGuire, and Gwaltney, the first two aren't native, and I'm not sure the etymology of the last one; it doesn't seem at all common in English words. Even in things like bigwig (which syllabifies /bɪg.wɪg/ to me), as does segué (/sɛg.wei/). I feel like I ought to be missing something, but Google searches only turn up things like gweilo, which is also a recent borrowing. My guess is that there are next-to no native /gw/ words, so a labialised-g didn't develop (in the variety of English I speak, at least, which seems to be at least somewhat conservative areally), while on the other hand, items of both native and borrowed vocabulary with /kw/ — quick, queer, quill, quilt, quest, question — are extremely common.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 pm Does anyone else here pronounce initial /kw ɡw/ in English as [kʷʰ ɡʷ~kʷ], i.e. not as two distinct segments but as a single labialized consonant?
Yeah, I definitely labialise both. My lips round for the stop, but I wonder if it would be more accurate to transcribe my pronunciation as [kʷʰw ɡʷw]
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I found this construction interesting:
zompist wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:59 am He's an RL friend.
Personally, I would say ‘a RL friend’, with the other article. Which option does everyone else prefer?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I never adopted forms like that, so I would still say (and write), "a real-life friend".