Phrase evolution game

Conworlds and conlangs
Otto Kretschmer

Re: Phrase evolution game

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

StrangerCoug wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:29 pm
  • Retroactively voiced a consonant that remained unvoiced despite being intervocalic and word breaks not blocking the voicing.
  • [ʂ~ʐ ɕ~ʑ] merge to [ʃ~ʒ].
['ʋyː.ʒi i.ʒiz.ʎyː'ʒie ʃiˈmɥiː cʰjɤː.ʒɨ dʊ'ruɡ nɨ ˈdʊ'ruk | cʰæʒ'ɟiʎ ɲiʒid͡ʒiʒʋiʎ ʃiˈmɥæ 'ʒɲɪ.zʎɨ.ʋɨ nɨ zʊ'woʎ]
Фущі ыщисљѵфущіе щимї пхёшы дыруг ны дыруг, каждиљ њищиђисљіфиљ щимя щнисліфы ны-сыфољ.
Füüzschi izschizljüüzschie shimjwii kjŏŏszi dyrúg ny dyrúk, kjäzschgjilj njizschidzschizschwilj schimjwää zschnjisljywy ny sywólj.
Russian of 3000 AD?
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

Maybe xD

I won't feel bad if someone wants to do a new phrase. I think it's different enough from the Russian of Tolstoy's time at this point.
Otto Kretschmer

It should be something that grammatical changes can be introduced easily. Unfortunately not many people here know the same language other than English.

Middle English

In the mid of the table, acountre vowen draperies upon the wall, ther was a sede under a canape, and ther sat a ladi faire to miren, and semblabli so was she in womenlihede to the king, that Edmunde gessed that she was of his nextfolde.

IPA is slightly inaccurate
[in de mid of the 'table a'kontre voven drape'ries 'upon de wol der was a 'sede 'under a kana'pe end der sat a ladi 'faire to 'miren end sembla'bli so was si in womenli'hede to the kin dat 'Edmunde 'gessed dat si was of his nekst'folde]
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:50 pm IPA is...inaccurate
It probably sounded more like this:

In the mid of the table, acountre vowen draperies upon the wall, ther was a sede under a canape, and ther sat a ladi faire to miren, and semblabli so was she in womenlihede to the king, that Edmunde gessed that she was of his nextfolde.
[ɪn ðə mɪd ɔv ðə 'taː.bəl a'kuːntəɾ vuːwən 'dɾaː.pə.ɾiːz ʊ'pɔn ðə wal | ðɛːɾ was a sɛːd 'ʊn.dəɾ a ka.na.peː and ðɛːɾ sat a laː.di 'fɛː.ɾə toː 'miːɾən and 'sɛm.bla.bli sɔː was siː in wʊ.mən.li'hɛː.də toː ðə kɪŋg | ðat 'ɛd.mʊn.də gɛs.səd ðat siː was ɔv hɪs nɛkstfɔldə.]

Anyway, from there:
  • The definite article cliticises onto a preceding adposition;
  • The perfective marker "a" attaches to the following verb and reduces to schwa;
  • Final [i] reduces to [jə]
  • In noncompound words, a final schwa drags the stress in the word to the syllable just before, usually lengthening the vowel:
    • [ɪ] > [ɪː]
    • [ɔ] > [ɔː]
    • [ʊ] > [ʊː]
  • Palatalisation before [ɪ i j]:
    • [s] > [ʃ] (the "sip-ship" merger)
    • [d g] > [dʒ] (the "dig-gig" merger)
    • [t k] > [tʃ] (the "tin-kin-chin" merger)
    • [l] > [ʎ]
    • [h] > [ç]
  • [sk] also merges with [ʃ] in all positions (the "ask-ash" merger)
  • The sequence [ʃt] transposes to [tʃ]
  • Intervocalic and coda [b v] > [w], deletion of interconsonantal [b]
  • Various orthographical changes, with spelling not yet being fixed.
['ɪːn.ðə mɪd 'ɔːw.ðə 'taː.wəl ə'kuːntəɾ 'vuː.wən 'dɾaː.pə.ɾiːz ʊ'pɔːn.ðə wal | ðɛːɾ was ə'sɛːd 'ʊn.dəɾ a ka.na.peː and ðɛːɾ sat a laː.dʒə 'fɛː.ɾə toː 'miːɾən and sɛm'laː.bʎə sɔː was ʃiː in wʊː.mən.ʎi'hɛː.də 'toː.ðə tʃɪŋg | ðat ɛd.'mʊːn.də gɛs.səd ðat ʃiː was ɔv çɪs nɛtʃ'fɔl.də]
Iinþe mid oaƿþe taaƿel ecountre vouƿen draaperies upoan þe ƿall, þear ƿas esead under a kanapee and þear sat a laage feare to myren and semlaablhe soa ƿas schie in ƿuumenliheade tooþe ching, þat Edmuunde gessed þat schie ƿas of his netchfolde.

Notes on the orthography:
  • With the innovation of [ɪː iː] as separate phonemes, the former is generally written "ii", the latter either "y" or "ie";
  • The innovation of [ʊː uː] sees the former written "uu", and the latter "ou";
  • A desire to differentiate [ɛː eː] and [ɔː oː] results in them being spelled "ea ee" and "oa oo";
  • Most long vowels are now designated specifically by the orthography;
  • Instances of "k" are retained usually only before "e", and, in the few words where hard [k] remains (mostly in inflected forms), before "i";
  • Schwa is almost always represented by "e";
  • The non-Norman letters undergo a resurgence in popularity; only thorn and wynn, however, appear in the text above.
Otto Kretschmer

Nice on!

I did not have IPA keyboard with me ;(
Darren

Post by Darren »

• Near-close and close vowels merge in favour of close /ɪ ɪː ʊ ʊː/ > /i iː u uː/
  • Open- and close-mid long vowels split; /eː oː ɛː ɔː/ > /oi̯ eu̯ i̯o u̯e/
  • Other long vowels merge with their short counterparts
  • Simplification of some sequences; /wew awə uwə/ > /o ɔ u/
  • Nasal codas lost, nasalising the vowel
  • /ə/ lost if the preceding syllable is stressed and open; otherwise it is merged to /ɔ/
Orthographical:
  • /we jo ew oj/ <ue eo eu oe>
  • Lost schwa shown with '
  • Shortened long vowels written as short
  • Word-final nasal vowels are <Vm>, otherwise written <VN> where <N> is homorganic to the next consonant
  • /e ɛ/ and /o ɔ/ no longer distinguished in writing
[ˈĩð mid ˈoð ˈtɔl ɔˈkũtəɾ ˈvũ ˈdɾap.ɾiz uˈpwẽð wal | ðjoɾ was ɔˈsjod ˈũ.dɔɾ a ka.na.poj ãd ðjoɾ sat a ladʒ ˈfjoɾ tew ˈmiɾɔ̃ and sɛ̃ˈlabʎ swe was ʃi ĩ wu.mɔ̃.ʎiˈhjod ˈtewð tʃĩg | ðat ɛd.ˈmũd gɛs.sɔd ðat ʃi was ɔv çis nɛtʃˈfɔl.dɔ]

Inþ’ mid oƿþ’ tol ecuntre vum drap’ris upuenþ’ ƿall, þeor ƿas oseod undor a kanapoe and þeor sat a lage feor’ teu myrom and senlablh’ soe ƿas schi im ƿumonliheod’ teuþ’ ching, þat Edmund’ gessod þat schi ƿas of his netchfoldo.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

• Nasal vowels shift, some merging:
    • [ĩ ẽ] > [ɛ̃], usually graphically "in, yn"
    • [ɛ̃ ã] > [ɑ̃], usually graphically, "en, an"
    • [ũ ɔ̃] > [õ]
  • Transposition of [k g t d p b]V[r] > [kr gr tr dr pr br]V; resulting [tɾ dɾ] lenite to [ðɾ], graphically "þr"
  • [ɔ a] merge to [ɑ], graphically usually "a"; [e i] merge to [i], graphically "i"
  • Coda [b p v] vocalise to [w], coda [l] vocalises to [w] or [j] depending on the preceding vowel;
  • [ʎ] depalatalises to [l], but does not vocalise, except it remains as an allophone before [i j]
  • Diphthongs smooth or shift:
    • [iw wi] > [yː]
    • [ɑw] > [ɑː]
    • [oj] > [eː]
  • Nasal vowels denasalise, with compensatory lengthening; various graphical resolutions
  • [sj ç] merge with [ʃ], [ðj] merges with [dʒ], which becomes disambiguated from [g] by the use of a spelling "ȝi" or "ȝ", followed by subsequent disaffrication of [dʒ] > [ʒ]
  • Graphically, final -e is often restored, used to mark that the preceding syllable is stressed;
  • Terminal [s] in most structural words is voiced to [z];
  • [t s] > [tʃ ʃ] before [y]
  • Short stressed open syllables have their vowels lengthened; terminal [i] lengthens in all contexts, and analogically lengthens the vowel in the plural if a noun;
  • Innovations from the continent do replace wynn with a regular "w", but thorn and yogh remain obstinate;
  • Vogue for Classical vocabulary, which receives a quasi-nativised spelling in some instances, replaces a number of words;
    • saalaal "like, similar" is replaced by schimiele, a reborrowing of the same Latin word, which some remark looks very un-Classical already, but which catches on in spite of the protests;
    • wumonlischodde "femininity" is replaced by femininitaas;
    • gessod is replaced by diviinod
    • netchfaada is replaced by cognaata "kinswoman", with the structure of the sentence adjusted slightly.
[ˈɛːð mid ˈoð ˈtɑː ɑˈkoː.ðɾɑ ˈvoː ˈðɾɑː.ɾiz uˈpwɛːð wɑː | ʒoɾ waz ɑˈʃod ˈoː.ðɾɑ ɑ kɑ.nɑ.peː ɑːd ʒoɾ sɑt ɑ laʒ ˈfjoɾ tʃyː ˈmiɾoː ɑːd ʃi'miːl ʃyː wɑs ʃiː ɛː ʃoɾ fɛ.mi.ni.ni'tɑːs ˈtʃyːð tʃɛːg | ðɑt ɛd.ˈmoːd di'viː.nɔd ðɑt ʃiː wɑs ʃiːz kog'nɑː.tɑ]
Eaþe mid oþ taa acooþra voo þraaries upweaþe waa, ȝior was aschodde ooþra a canapee aad ȝior sat a laȝe fiore tyw myrooe aad schimiele schyw was schie ea schorre femininitaas chywþe cheag, þat Edmoode diviinod þat schie was his cognaata.
In th' mid(dle) o'th' ta(ble) acontra(=against) wo(ven) dra(pe)ries uponth' wa(ll), there was a-seat under a canopy and there sat a lady fair to miren(=see) and like so was she in her womanhood to th' king, that Edmund divined that she was his kinswoman.
Neonnaut

Post by Neonnaut »

• ɾ > r /{#,V}_{#,V}
  • k > q /_ɑ
[ˈɛːð mid ˈoð ˈtɑː ɑˈkoː.ðɾɑ ˈvoː ˈðɾɑː.riz uˈpwɛːð wɑː | ʒor waz ɑˈʃod ˈoː.ðɾɑ ɑ qɑ.nɑ.peː ɑːd ʒor sɑt ɑ laʒ ˈfjor tʃyː ˈmiroː ɑːd ʃi'miːl ʃyː wɑs ʃiː ɛː ʃor fɛ.mi.ni.ni'tɑːs ˈtʃyːð tʃɛːg | ðɑt ɛd.ˈmoːd di'viː.nɔd ðɑt ʃiː wɑs ʃiːz kog'nɑː.tɑ]
Eaþe mid oþ taa acooþra voo þraaries upweaþe waa, ȝior was aschodde ooþra a canapee aad ȝior sat a laȝe fiore tyw myrooe aad schimiele schyw was schie ea schorre femininitaas chywþe cheag, þat Edmoode diviinod þat schie was his cognaata.
In th' mid(dle) o'th' ta(ble) acontra(=against) wo(ven) dra(pe)ries uponth' wa(ll), there was a-seat under a canopy and there sat a lady fair to miren(=see) and like so was she in her womanhood to th' king, that Edmund divined that she was his kinswoman.
Conlangs: None presentable yet >.<
Other things: Gloss My Gloss, a tool for setting interlinear gloss.
Otto Kretschmer

Have you massacred it enough guys or not yet?

I propose Esperanto, French or Italian next. Who wants something else?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I can massacre it more:
  • Pretonic stressed vowels reduce to schwa, often graphically "a" or "e";
  • Postvocallic [g] > [x] > [w], [ð] > [w], usually graphically "gh w", respectively;
  • [v] > [w]
  • Vowels shorten before new coda [w];
  • Long Vowel Chain Shift:
    • [eː] > [ɛː] (graphically "ea")
    • [ɛː] > [æː] > [aː] (graphically "aa")
    • [ɑː] > [ɔː] (graphically "oa"), however > [aː] in -taas as a later "correction"
    • [oː] > [uː] (graphically "ou")
    • [iː] > [eː], except terminally in non-monosyllables and after coronals, graphically "ij"
    • [yː] > [øy], graphically "eou, eow"
  • Postvocallic [r] vocalises to [ə]
  • Smoothing of new diphthongs created by shifts to [w ə] postvocalically:
    • [ɛw] > [øː] (graphically usually "eu")
    • [əw ow oə] > [oː] (graphically represented "ow ow or(re)", usually)
    • [yw] > [yː]
  • Schwa in medial syllables following short vowels of words of three or more syllables tends to disappear with compensatory lengthening of the preceding vowel;
  • Graphically, instances of historical "gh þ" are sometimes preserved or inserted, but yogh tends to get replaced by "j", a concession from the continent:
[ˈøː mid ˈoː ˈtɔː əˈkoː.ɾɑ ˈwuː ˈðɾɔː.reːz əˈpwøː wɔː | ʒoː wɑz əˈʃod ˈoː.ɾɑ ɑ qɑ.nə.pɛː ɔːd ʒoː sɑt ɑ lɑʒ ˈfjoː tʃøː ˈmiruː ɔːd ʃi'meːl ʃøy wɑs ʃiː aː ʃoː fɛː.mə.niː.n'taːs ˈtʃyː tʃøː | ðɑt əd.ˈmuːd də'weː.nɔd ðɑt ʃiː wɑs ʃiːz koː'nɔː.tɑ]
Euþ mid ooþ toa acowþra wou þroarees apweuþ woa, joor was eschodde ooþra a canepea oad joor sat a laj fioor tjeuw mirou oad schimeele scheow was schie aa schoore feamenientaas, tyw tjeuw, þat Edmoude deweenod þat schie was schies coonoata.
Otto Kretschmer

América Latina es un continente extenso y variado tanto geográfica como culturalmente. La mayoría de la gente habla español o portugués.

[Am'erika la'tina es un konti'nente eks'tenso i va'riado 'tanto geo'gráfica 'como cultural'mente. la majo'ría de la 'gente ha"bla espa'ñol o portu:gues]
Otto Kretschmer

Until 2100
1. Loss of final masculine -o and -e
2. Final /a/ changes to /o/
América Latina es un continent extens y variad tant geográfica com culturalment. La mayoría de la gent habla español o portugués.

[Am'eriko la'tino es un konti'nent eks'tens i va'riad 'tant geo'gráfico 'com cultural'ment. lo majo'río de la 'gent ha"blo espa'ñol o portu:gues]
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Up to 2400
  • All vowels in open, stressed syllables are lengthened;
  • Deletion of vowels from medial posstonic syllables, unless this would create an illegal cluster in which case they reduce to schwa; posstonic terminal [o] > [ə]; some pretonic syllables, especially in long words, also reduce
  • Postvocallic [b[/i] > [w], postvocallic [l] > [j], postvocallic [r] > [ə]
    [*]Preconsonantal [d] > [ð]
    [*][ks] > [ʃ]
    [*][p t k] > [f θ x] after [s]
    [*]Some spellings are updated, but the orthography remains somewhat more conservative than Spanish historically has been:]
[Am'eːəkə la'tiːnə es un kond'nent əʃ'tens i və'riað 'tant xe.jə'graːf.kə 'com kəjtuəj'ment. lə majə'riːə də la 'xent həw'loː əsfa'ɲoj o poəð'ges]
Amêreca Latîna es un kondnént exténs y variád, tant geagrâfca com cultualmént. Le mayarîe də la gent hablô Esfañol o Pordgués.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:33 pm Up to 2400
  • All vowels in open, stressed syllables are lengthened;
  • Deletion of vowels from medial posstonic syllables, unless this would create an illegal cluster in which case they reduce to schwa; posstonic terminal [o] > [ə]; some pretonic syllables, especially in long words, also reduce
  • Postvocallic [b[/i] > [w], postvocallic [l] > [j], postvocallic [r] > [ə]
    [*]Preconsonantal [d] > [ð]
    [*][ks] > [ʃ]
    [*][p t k] > [f θ x] after [s]
    [*]Some spellings are updated, but the orthography remains somewhat more conservative than Spanish historically has been:]
[Am'eːəkə la'tiːnə es un kond'nent əʃ'tens i və'riað 'tant xe.jə'graːf.kə 'com kəjtuəj'ment. lə majə'riːə də la 'xent həw'loː əsfa'ɲoj o poəð'ges]
Amêreca Latîna es un kondnént exténs y variád, tant geagrâfca com cultualmént. Le mayarîe də la gent hablô Esfañol o Pordgués.
1. Prothetic glottal stop; cliticization of vowel-initial particles
2. Pretonic vowel reduction leads to development of CəC- sesquisyllabic structure; orthographic confusion of unstressed vowels
3. Fusion of sequences of common grammatical words
4. P > ʔ / N_
5. rj > rgj
6. N > ŋ / _$

ˀəˈmeːəkə ˈɬtiːnə suŋ kn̩ˀˈnent ˀəʃˈtens=i βərˈgjað | tanˀ xəjˈgraːfkə 'koŋ kəjtwəjˈmenˀ || lə məjˈriːə dla xenˀ həwˈloː səfˈɲoj=o pəðˈge
Amêreca Latîna s'un contnent extens y vergiád, tant geigrâfca con coltuelmént. Le mairîe d'la gent hablô Esfañol o Pedgués.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Nortaneous wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:33 pm Amêreca Latîna es un kondnént exténs y variád, tant geagrâfca com cultualmént. Le mayarîe də la gent hablô Esfañol o Pordgués.
1. Prothetic glottal stop; cliticization of vowel-initial particles
2. Pretonic vowel reduction leads to development of CəC- sesquisyllabic structure; orthographic confusion of unstressed vowels
3. Fusion of sequences of common grammatical words
4. P > ʔ / N_
5. rj > rgj
6. N > ŋ / _$

Amêreca Latîna s'un contnent extens y vergiád, tant geigrâfca con coltuelmént. Le mairîe d'la gent hablô Esfañol o Pedgués.
  • Long vowels shift to diphthongs:
    • [eː] > [ie]
    • [iː] > [ei], except prevocalically
    • [oː] > [ue]
    • [aː] > [ou]
  • Loss of schwa directly after vowels with compensatory lengthening, unless the vowel is already long;
  • [ə] > [ɐ] terminally, > [e] unconditionally, merging [əi ei], epinthesis of [ɐ] to break up certain clusters
  • Postvocallic [ð] > [w], [β] > [w] unconditionally
  • [əw aw] merge with [ou], [ew] > [jou]; [oj] > [wa]
  • [l] > [j] after another consonant;
  • Palatalisation of velars and dentals before front vowels: [k g x t d] > [ç(j) tʃ(j) dʒ(j) ts(j) dz(j)]; [ɬ] merges with [ʃ]
  • Some orthographical regularisation and "correction" also occurs.
[ˀeˈmieːkɐ ˈʃɐteinɐ suŋ kɐnˀˈnent ˀeʃˈtens=i werˈdʒjou | tanˀ çjeiˈgroufɐkɐ 'koŋ tʃjeitweiˈmenˀ || lɐ meiˈriːɐ dzja çjenˀ houˈlue se.fɐ'ɲwa=o pjoˈge]
Emiêca Xlateina s'un candnénd extens-y verjioud, tand gieigroufaca, com ciertuelménd. La meyrîa dzla gien houlué Sefanóil-o Piogué.
Karch

Post by Karch »

1: short [o u] centralize, short [a] in turn backs and rounds
2. eː > ɛː
3. sesquisyllables are forced into the CəC format even more - following single consonants are geminated and clusters are reduced - nˀ is counted as a single consonant
4. major syllables are forced into the CVC/CV: format as well using glottal stop epenthesis and long vowel shortening in CV:C syllables - shortened long vowels, however, preserve their quality
5. the schwa offglide fortites into ð

[ˀəmˈmɛðkə ˈɬtiːnə sʉŋ kn̩ˀˈnenˀ ˀəʃˈtens=i βərˈgjɔð | tɔnˀ xəjˈgrafkə 'kɵŋ kəjtəjˈmenˀ || lə məjˈrið dlɔ xenˀ həwˈloː səfˈɲɵj=ɵ pəðˈge]
Ammedka Ltîna sun contnent extens-y vergiad, tant geigrafca con coltolment. La mairid dla gent hablô Safñol-o Podge.

EDIT: Sorry, Rounin, I didn't notice your post, since I've started making this post before you made yours. As for the next person, feel free to continue from whichever version you'll feel like, be it mine or Rounin's.
Zpaf kkuñb ñvneahttiñ wqxirftvn meof ñfañhsit.
Kkuñb ñvzxirf kvtañb kkuñf ñtmeaq sfañkqeanth.
Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq. Yvnmuq.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 pm [ˀeˈmieːkɐ ˈʃɐteinɐ suŋ kɐnˀˈnent ˀeʃˈtens=i werˈdʒjou | tanˀ çjeiˈgroufɐkɐ 'koŋ tʃjeitweiˈmenˀ || lɐ meiˈriːɐ dzja çjenˀ houˈlue se.fɐ'ɲwa=o pjoˈge]
Emiêca Xlateina s'un candnénd extens-y verjioud, tand gieigroufaca, com ciertuelménd. La meyrîa dzla gien houlué Sefanóil-o Piogué.
1. ei ou ie uo > əi əu iə uə, but jei wei jou > iː oi eu
2. VNˀ VNC > Ṽʔ ṼC
3. Vŋ > Ṽ
4. l > ʁ
5. s > h; depalatalization of postalveolars

[ˀeˈmiəːkɐ ˈsɐtəinɐ hũ kɐ̃ˀˈnẽt ˀesˈtẽh=i werˈdzeu | tãˀ çiːˈgrəufɐkɐ 'kõ tsiːtoiˈmẽˀ || ʁɐ məiˈriːɐ dzja çjẽˀ həuˈʁue he.fɐ'ɲwa=o pjoˈge]
Emiêca Xateina s'un candnént extens-y verjeu, tand gîgroufaca, con cîtoilménd. La meirîa dzia giend soulué Sefanói-o Piogué.
Karch wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:13 pm [ˀəmˈmɛðkə ˈɬtiːnə sʉŋ kn̩ˀˈnenˀ ˀəʃˈtens=i βərˈgjɔð | tɔnˀ xəjˈgrafkə 'kɵŋ kəjtəjˈmenˀ || lə məjˈrið dlɔ xenˀ həwˈloː səfˈɲɵj=ɵ pəðˈge]
Ammedka Ltîna sun contnent extens-y vergiad, tant geigrafca con coltolment. La mairid dla gent hablô Safñol-o Podge.
1. f ð > w j in coda
2. əj əw > i u, with further reduction if more than one syllable from the stress
3. final schwa > length
4. j + back vowel > front vowel
5. minor syllable quality metathesis: -i.C- > -.Cj-, etc.; similarly with -r.C; loss of schwa in most cases, and loss of glottal stop except before nasals; regressive voicing harmony and plosive lenition in some clusters
6. remaining ə > œ
7. considerable orthographic confusion; development of <a à> for /œ ɔ/

[mˀɛːi̯k ɬtiːn sʉŋ kn̩ˈtẽt ʃtens=i βgrœi̯ | tɔnˀ ɣgri̯aːu̯k kɵŋ xtmi̯enˀ || lœ mriː dlɔ xenˀ ɬu̯oː zɲu̯ɵj=ɵ βgi̯e]
Ameica Latîna sun cantent extens-y vegrad, tant gedgrâfca con catelment. La marid dlà gent haflô Safñol-o Badge.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Daughter Language 1:
  • Glottalisation (either pre or post) triggers the lowering of the preceding or following vowel, with glottalisation subsequently disappearing
  • Fronting of [ẽ ũ õ] > [ĩ ỹ ø̃]; nasal vowels lengthen in terminal syllables;
  • [əː əi əu eu ue oi] > [ɑː eː oː joː (j)yː (j)øː], [y(ː) ø(ː) e(ː) æ(ː)] gain a prosthetic [j] in most instances;
  • Suffixed conjunctions are often fully assimilated into the preceding word
  • [w] is lost following consonants before [o]
  • Yod-coalescence reintroduces some palatals; [t ts] > [cɕ] before [i];
  • [a] > [æ] after [j];
  • [ʁ] > [x]
  • Some "corrections" are made to the orthography, often inserting "historical" silent letters.
[jæˈmiɑːkɐ ˈsɐcɕjeːnɐ çjỹː kɑ̃ˈnĩt jæsˈcɕĩː.çi werˈɟʑjoː | tɑ̃ː çiːˈgroːfɐkɐ 'cjø̃ː cɕiːcɕjøːˈmɑ̃ː || xɐ meːˈriː.jɐ ɟʑjæ çjɑ̃ː xoːˈçjyː çje.fɐ'ɲoː pjoˈɟje]
Hiamiârca Xlatiêna giun candnind hiastîn'gi werdioud, tand gî grôfaca gioi chîchioimand. Ja mêrîya dia giand jôjiu Giefaño'o Pioguié.

A prestige variety, usually called Giefaño, frequently the language of "proper" literature, also used in news broadcasts and as a Lingua Franca between speakers of non-mutually-intelligible Iberic languages.

Daughter Language 2:
  • Rising diphthongs transpose to falling, then the long elements in certain diphthongs are shortened
  • Diphthongs lower, then smooth:
    • [ɛi] > [ai] > [æː]
    • [œi] > [œe] > [øː]
    • [au] > [ɔu] > [ɔː]
    • [ei] > [ɛi] > [ɛː]
  • Syllabic [n] and preconsonantal [x] vocalise to [ɐ]; preconsonantal [ɬ β m] vocalise to [ʉ], preconsonantal [ɣ ʃ z] vocalise to [e];
  • Long vowels "brighten" — [æː øː ɛː ɔː oː] > [ɛː yː eː aː uː];
  • [ʉ ɵ] > [ʏ œ] before [e i j], [ɵj] > [øː]
  • [ŋ] > [w]
  • [ou ɔw], [ʉw] > [uː], [ɔ] > [ɵ], [u̯ø] > [ø]
  • Nasal vowels lengthen and denasalise;
  • A radical new orthography is adopted.
[mˀɛːk ʏtiːn suː kɐˈteːt etens=i ʏgrøː | tɵnˀ egri̯aːk koː ɐtmeːnˀ || lœ ʏriː dlɵ xenˀ ɬoː eɲøː=ɵ ʏgeː]
Määk ütiin suu kateet etens-i ügröö, ton egriaak koo atmeen. Lö ürii dlo hen, xloo Eñöö-o Ügee.

Eñöö, the language of an up-and-coming regional power, not yet ready to challenge Giefaño for prestige, but one of its later stages will probably begin to chip away at it.
Otto Kretschmer

Last edited by Otto Kretschmer on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:07 am Time for something a posteriori again? :)

Pre Proto Germanic 500 BC
Awiz eχʷaz-uχ
Awiz, χʷesja wulno ne ist, speχet eχʷanz, ainan krun waǥan weǥantun,
ainan-uχ mekon ƀoran, ainan-uχ ǥumonun aχu ƀerontun
In the future, please could you not post texts without an IPA transcription? I don’t have a clue how to interpret half the symbols here. (Also, I’d very much like to do something which isn’t Proto-Germanic, or German, or Old English, or Middle English, or Modern English, or Modernest English…)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)