Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Venting thread

Post by Travis B. »

My dad's glasses frame broke and he got them fixed - free of charge too - by a local glasses shop in the town in which we live even though that is not where he bought them.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:31 pm Well, fuck. Just found out that someone who attended the same party as me last Saturday has tested positive for COVID. It was outside and all the attendees were vaxxed so we were going around unmasked. I got tested today but it'll be a day or two before I have the results. The good news is that I feel fine and everyone else in this guy's household has gotten their tests back and they're negative--except for the one member who I had sex with on Tuesday morning with lots of snogging. He won't know until tomorrow at the earliest. FML.
Update: Just got notified of my results today at 3:30 pm. No explanation, of course, of why this took a full nine days. Guess I know who I'm not using next time I need to get tested for COVID.

(Could've been much worse. Today I was talking to someone whose partner had to fly back to India on short notice and needed a recent COVID test in order to board. He had to cancel and reschedule his flight and pay for expedited results to make sure he was able to board this time.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

For some reason I've been feeling a good deal more depressed than usual over the last few days, and I'm not sure how to handle that. I've tried some of my standard reactions, but I can't really tell if they improved anything.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Sad to hear that. I hope things get better soon!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Oh that sucks. Sorry to hear!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, too!
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:37 pm Update: Just got notified of my results today at 3:30 pm. No explanation, of course, of why this took a full nine days. Guess I know who I'm not using next time I need to get tested for COVID.
You don't say what the results were... I hope negative; I assume you'd be freaking out to some extent if it was positive.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

zompist wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:13 pm
You don't say what the results were... I hope negative; I assume you'd be freaking out to some extent if it was positive.
Oh, I had interpreted the fact that Linguoboy didn't tell us the results as a conscious decision on his part that they're none of our business.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:19 am
zompist wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:13 pm
Oh, I had interpreted the fact that Linguoboy didn't tell us the results as a conscious decision on his part that they're none of our business.
He's an RL friend. But I wasn't trying to pressure him to say anything publicly.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Yeah, I figured y'all knew me well enough to know that if they'd been positive I'd be venting about having to quarantine.

Worst thing that's happened to me today is that I missed my nap because I'm back in the office and I am sooooooo tiiiiiiiiired.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

In any case, I'm glad the results turned out negative!
alice

Post by alice »

That's very good news.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Spent all morning driving around looking for optometrist places and they were all closed on Thursday mornings. All that time and and gas wasted on a wild goose chase. I don't understand why getting my glasses fixed has proven so difficult. I just need one simple replacement piece but everything keeps conspiring to keep it from me.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Perhaps next time you might try calling to ask after their hours?
malloc

Post by malloc »

I checked on Google maps to the other day and it said they were open on mornings. It hardly occurred to me that Thursday would be an exception. It looks like I will probably have to buy whole new glasses at this point, which means waiting until I've recovered from a recent surprise medical bill.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Or you could simply call one of these places and try again another day?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Aw, thanks y'all! I appreciate the concern (and actually feel a little abashed about making such a fuss when I knew from the start a negative result was the most likely outcome).
malloc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:29 amI checked on Google maps to the other day and it said they were open on mornings. It hardly occurred to me that Thursday would be an exception. It looks like I will probably have to buy whole new glasses at this point, which means waiting until I've recovered from a recent surprise medical bill.
Opening hours information has gotten more unreliable since the pandemic. Whatever Google or Yelp tells me, I double-check with a phone call before I go out of my way. The other advantage of calling is that you could find out what they can do for you and get an estimate of what it would cost before you go there.

What did your original optometrist say when you called them and told them about the problem?
Zju

Post by Zju »

malloc wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:37 am Spent all morning driving around looking for optometrist places and they were all closed on Thursday mornings. All that time and and gas wasted on a wild goose chase. I don't understand why getting my glasses fixed has proven so difficult. I just need one simple replacement piece but everything keeps conspiring to keep it from me.
At least you got to actual optometrist places. The other day I was looking for a junkyard to get a spare part for my car, so I got a list of supposed junkyard addresses from a top google search site. All it lead me to were random people's suburban houses - or worse yet - small shady industrial zone factories on dirt roads.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:14 pmWhat did your original optometrist say when you called them and told them about the problem?
They said the glasses are under warranty and they can replace the frame for free, but that place is an hour away so I have been hesitant to take that option. It will cost at least ten dollars just for the gas to get there and back.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.