Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Raphael »

Turns out the small growth on my left hand is a simple wart!
alice

Post by alice »

I may have been feeling like shit for the last few days, buut at least it's not covid!
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

alice wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:12 amI may have been feeling like shit for the last few days, buut at least it's not covid!
As someone else who's been feeling like shit a lot lately, I'm genuinely happy to hear that.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:12 am
alice wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:12 amI may have been feeling like shit for the last few days, buut at least it's not covid!
As someone else who's been feeling like shit a lot lately, I'm genuinely happy to hear that.
Seconded (except that I haven't really felt shitty in a while).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I fixed a very, very annoying bug in zeptoforth's rendezvous channels that had been bugging me for weeks on end, which I had made very little progress on until today. Now I am much closer to making a new release of zeptoforth. Before that will happen though, I want to do a thorough test of the timeout functionality of zeptoforth (I decided to add timeouts to my blocking operations after reading a book on FreeRTOS which said that a proper RTOS shall support or even require timeouts for blocking operations).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:29 pm I fixed a very, very annoying bug in zeptoforth's rendezvous channels that had been bugging me for weeks on end, which I had made very little progress on until today. Now I am much closer to making a new release of zeptoforth. Before that will happen though, I want to do a thorough test of the timeout functionality of zeptoforth (I decided to add timeouts to my blocking operations after reading a book on FreeRTOS which said that a proper RTOS shall support or even require timeouts for blocking operations).
Excellent news! What was the fix, if I may ask?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:50 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:29 pm I fixed a very, very annoying bug in zeptoforth's rendezvous channels that had been bugging me for weeks on end, which I had made very little progress on until today. Now I am much closer to making a new release of zeptoforth. Before that will happen though, I want to do a thorough test of the timeout functionality of zeptoforth (I decided to add timeouts to my blocking operations after reading a book on FreeRTOS which said that a proper RTOS shall support or even require timeouts for blocking operations).
Excellent news! What was the fix, if I may ask?
It was a really stupid issue. I have two modules for tasks, a public module and an internal module, both of which define the same word but with different functions (one is just a variable, one reads that variable) - I didn't notice that I, for reasons that are no longer necessary, had imported the internal module such that it shadowed the public module, so it was using the private definition of the word in question, which was just as a variable, rather than the public definition, which read the variable, which is what I intended.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have also got timeouts working correctly as far as I can tell for locks after a bit of work, even though I still want to do some more testing (because I have only tested the case of a task timing out when no other tasks are waiting on a lock).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I've got Release 0.19.0 of zeptoforth out! It not only adds timeouts for blocking multitasking operations, but it also adds arbitrary element sizes for channels and fchannels, and fixes a whole lot of multitasking-related bugs.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I promise this is the last time I mention my review blog, but I just published my tenth post, and I'm feeling pretty good about this tiny milestone!
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

My port of zeptoforth to the Raspberry Pi Pico is coming along well, even though I haven't had the opportunity to test it, since my Raspberry Pi Pico's have not arrived yet.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Today I attended graduation commencement ceremonies for my master's degree. I didn't attend commencement for my associate's (2 year) or bachelor's degrees. As a result, I've been waiting for this experience since 1990. It's incredibly satisfying.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Seconded!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I got zeptoforth for the Raspberry Pi Pico (i.e. the RP2040 microcontroller) to boot successfully for the first time last night. Its flash support still does not work (it does not properly erase flash), but I can compile words to RAM and run them.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Now I've confirmed that flow control constructs are working and I've fixed a major bug in very large (or very small) numeric literals and constants.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

persimmon season!

now all i need is an elephant's digestive tract to pass the seeds through so they'll germinate
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I can do a full code load for zeptoforth on the RP2040 without it crashing (even though I had to work around some issues with DEFER and like). There are still outstanding issues, such as that rendezvous channels are not working, but even still I've made very good progress.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Just came back from a zoom lecture about Ancient Egypt papyri by a prof in Greek Studies for Anthropology club. Most of the folks there are anthro and study Greek/Roman stuff e.g Antigone
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

My pre-COVID Campus Crush messaged me out of the blue and announced that he was coming to where I work for coffee. We chatted away for an hour over caffeine and carbs and if I'm not as starry-eyed as I was before, it still made my flipping day. It took me a year to get here and I'm happy not to have to start from scratch again.