Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Nachtswalbe

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Is Latin Sine Flexione a Controlled Natural language like Basic English?

Also would a version of English without Inflection be counted as a con Lang?

An example would be:
Quick fox jump over lazy dog

Omit inflection end like -ing, -ed and -s and -‘s
Omit article and copula also.

It more easy understand English with no grammatical inflection while remain can get recognize
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Also how efficiently can English words be rederived for ease of learning?
e.g dictionary —> wordbook
Hexagonal -> ofsixside
Biology -> lifescience
Asteroid -> spacerock
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:42 am Hexagonal -> ofsixside
Why would you propose such an unEnglishy coinage when "six-sided" already exists?
Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:46 amAlso would a version of English without Inflection be counted as a con Lang?
It would, and further discussion of such a proposal properly belongs in the Conlangery forum.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:42 am Asteroid -> spacerock
Space rock is a music genre ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:03 am
Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:42 am Asteroid -> spacerock
Space rock is a music genre ;)
"Flying rocks" was our nickname for astrophysics at my university.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:42 am Also how efficiently can English words be rederived for ease of learning?
e.g dictionary —> wordbook
Hexagonal -> ofsixside
Biology -> lifescience
Asteroid -> spacerock
Well, if we want to be Anglish about it, "biology" should be "life-lore", and "science" generally would be something like "world-lore"
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

bradrn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:31 am
Richard W wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:48 am
bradrn wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:38 am Well, I can’t seem to find the language I was thinking of. However, there is another Papuan language, namely Imonda, which has four pronouns, all of which are indifferent to number: 1 ka / 2 ne / 3 ehe / inclusive pël.
But can't the number marking on the vowel be counted as number marking on the bound pronoun? And isn't the inclusive form an example of number marking?
Number marking on the vowel? What number marking on the vowel? As for the inclusive pronoun, I’m not even sure what it means, let alone whether it can be taken as any sort of plurality — the grammar is really quite terrible.
Sorry, I meant number-marking on the verb. But having found a grammar (https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu ... Walter.pdf), I don't see a bound personal pronoun. From the translations, it seems that the 'inclusive' is simply the 1st person inclusive.
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

Does the -tl suffix in Nahuatl have cognates in other Uto Aztecan languages, other than Nawat -t?
vlad

Post by vlad »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:46 am Does the -tl suffix in Nahuatl have cognates in other Uto Aztecan languages, other than Nawat -t?
Tübatulabal -t ~ -l
Cupeño -t ~ -l ~ -ʎ ~ -ʃ
Kitanemuk -t ~ -ts ~ -tʃ
Luiseño -ta ~ -la ~ -tʃa ~ -t ~ -l ~ -ʃ

Tübatulabal is a Kern language and the others are all Takic languages. Other Takic languages have similar suffixes.

I'm not sure if cognates are found outside of Nahuan, Kern and Takic. (Kern and Takic are sometimes considered to be a family, at least by Alexis Manaster Ramer.)
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Are there distinguishing features of creoles' verbal morphologies?
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:12 pm Are there distinguishing features of creoles' verbal morphologies?
No or extremely limited conjugation
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:12 pm Are there distinguishing features of creoles' verbal morphologies?
In general, creoles tend to be distinguished by little in the way of inflectional morphology and very analytic syntax. For example, from Haitian Creole:

mwen t ap mache
1P PST PROG walk
"I was walking"

t ap is a contraction of the past tense marker te with the progressive marker ap. Compare Cajun French: J'étais après marcher, which has the same meaning.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Talking about Cajun French, I recently heard from a native speaker that Americans in general in that language can be referred to as "kentuks" (for the state of Kentucky) or "goddams" (because of the English swear word "goddamn")...
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Linguoboy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:13 pm
In general, creoles tend to be distinguished by little in the way of inflectional morphology and very analytic syntax. For example, from Haitian Creole:

mwen t ap mache
1P PST PROG walk
"I was walking"

t ap is a contraction of the past tense marker te with the progressive marker ap. Compare Cajun French: J'étais après marcher, which has the same meaning.

I have also heard creoles place more emphasis on aspect over tense although modt creoles prefer a mixed tense-aspect system. In English-speaking creoles, “been”, “done” and “be” are often the etymons for the imperfective, perfective and the progressive aspects.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone else have phonologically odd words (especially ones which are not interjections or onomatopoeia) in their lects? I noticed that in the word pizza, I have a geminate (as [ˈpʰiʔtːsə(ː)]), as in Standard Italian or Neapolitan, which is odd, because geminates in my lect are derived almost solely through cluster reduction (which may follow vowel elision), and this is a rare case of a geminate in my lect for which that is not the case.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

I recently read a paper that described the emergence of new phonemes by first deriving allophones and then stabilizing them through loanwords (amongst other). Looks like this is happning for geminates in your lect.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

my dad pronounces ziti with a true [t], not flapped, but i wasnt able to explain to him how it was strange in terms he understood. he may have picked it up from Greek, assuming that Greeks, at least in America, use the same word to refer to the dish.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

My wife told me about a relative who ran into a nice dangerous minimal pair in Swedish. He was going out with a Swedish girl, and wanted to ask if he could kiss her. What he actually asked is if he could pee on her.

This turns out to be quite possible:
kiss = kyssa
pee = kissa

Both k's turn into č, and Swedish y is IPA /y/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:48 pm my dad pronounces ziti with a true [t], not flapped, but i wasnt able to explain to him how it was strange in terms he understood. he may have picked it up from Greek, assuming that Greeks, at least in America, use the same word to refer to the dish.
I remember someone on here mentioning that anomalous [t] is often found in the word Latin.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

i believe the anecdote but i think the kissa word is actually one where the k really spells /k/ and not the palatal sound. i remember being surprised because i thought IPA [ɕ] would be a prefect sound for onomatopeia of urination.