Una questión para los qui hablan español

Natural languages and linguistics
alice

Una questión para los qui hablan español

Post by alice »

How do the two forms of the past subjunctive differ in meaning or connotation for you - amase vs amara?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vijay

Re: Una questión para los qui hablan español

Post by Vijay »

*Una pregunta para los que hablan...

Are you looking for responses from native speakers specifically, or just anyone who speaks it?
alice

Post by alice »

Vijay wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:40 am *Una pregunta para los que hablan...

Are you looking for responses from native speakers specifically, or just anyone who speaks it?
Ideally those who speak it better than me :-) Well enough to use the past subjunctive every so often.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

alice wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:47 amHow do the two forms of the past subjunctive differ in meaning or connotation for you - amase vs amara?
Most Latin American speakers very rarely use -se forms; they mostly survive only in Spain. Whenever I hear a Latin American use -se, it is usually because they want to sound lofty and poetic (because they've actually written a poem with it), or because they want to sound like they have a stick up their ass for laughs (i.e. they want to use unnecessarily formal language). Most Latin Americans don't know that -se is perfectly normal in Spain.

Note that in Spaniard Spanish, -se is not used for the polite imperfect subjunctive of "querer", as well as the present-tense unreal uses of the imperfect subjunctive of "deber" and "poder":
  • Quisiera dos cervezas.
    'I want [to order] two beers.'
    (*Quisiese is not allowed here.)
  • Debieras decirle.
    'You should tell her.'
    (*Debieses is not allowed here. Note that this is a more formal way of saying "Deberías decirle".)
  • Pudieras dárselo.
    'You could give it to her.'
    (*Pudieses is not allowed here. Note that this is a more formal way of saying "Podrías dárselo".)
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I'm pretty sure I once had a Honduran classmate who used -se not only instead of -ra but also instead of the conditional.