What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Ahzoh wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:29 pm Debating if the vocative ending is -h or they would be diphthongs -ay and -aw
Perhaps have uh~ih be used in certain contexts (maybe a familiar vocative, as it looks like it's probably a regularised or more recently-emergent form) and aw~ay used in others (perhaps a more formal vocative, as it looks like an irregularity inherited from an earlier stage).
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Over the past couple weeks, I have developed a very, very early prototype map for my world. This includes:
  • A sphere in 3D (built in Maya) with custom UVs built for 2 hemispheres that are drawn roughly as octagons. The topology allows for the latitudes to be drawn fairly easily in 15 degree increments (useful for climate stuffs).
  • A world map built with the 2 octagonal-ish hemispheres.
  • The world map is actually another person's conworld map that has been sliced, diced, resized, warped, and recombined to form roughly the shape of continents I want. There's still lots to do in terms of reshaping that even more and especially changing all the details so that it is definitely my work and not theirs. However, doing it this way allowed for some rapid prototyping, and the details on their world was good for getting the creative juices going. This means that I will absolutely not be posting this version.
  • I have ocean currents. There are a couple places that are a bit wonky, so work remains to figure how how to handle those.
  • Wind directions are on the map.
  • I worked out initial climates using the Artifexian method. I completely ignored mountain ranges because I have only vague ideas of where I want them. This 1st draft of climates will help figure out where I want mountain ranges in order to affect the climates, which will in turn impact how I need to design plate tectonics. Should be fun working backwards like that.... I'm not settled on any particular aspect yet, so that shouldn't be TOO bad.

It's pretty cool to see something that (very) roughly resembles what has been in my head for a while. I've stalled a little on language stuff the past few weeks, so turning to this was a good way to still be productive.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Oh, that sounds excellent! I don’t even have a map yet, though I’ve been meaning to make one for some time.

I’m curious to know if you’re aware of GPlates? It’s really useful for plate tectonics, but also just as a spherical map builder. Worldbuilding Pasta has an extremely good guide on building realistic plate tectonics using GPlates. (And also a guide to climate, if that helps.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:05 pm I’m curious to know if you’re aware of GPlates? It’s really useful for plate tectonics, but also just as a spherical map builder. Worldbuilding Pasta has an extremely good guide on building realistic plate tectonics using GPlates. (And also a guide to climate, if that helps.)
Yep, I'm aware of GPlates. I might try it out if I have a hard time making realistic tectonics. However, since my profession is 3D graphics, I already have a good handle on working in 3D, as well as the issues involved in going from 2D. I think the only thing GPlates would give me is the animation of the plates to check the realism.

My 2D map image is a 2:1 ratio, with the only "wasted" pixels being those at angled sides of the octagons, if you imagine a square being cut off to form the octagons. The way the sphere is built provides very little visual distortion going from 2D to 3D, so you don't get the really weird issues of pinching, etc. when working with a cylindrical/Mercator type of map.

I'm also aware of a few different tectonic & climate guides. I'll check out the Pasta guide since I'm not familiar with that one. I lurk on the Cartographer's Guild quite a bit, so I see various threads on the topic there. Eventually, I'll be using Wilbur or similar software to do the erosion, etc. that you see on Cartographer's Guild as well.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

I tried to work with GPlates but it's too complex to make good use of it.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:28 pm since my profession is 3D graphics, I already have a good handle on working in 3D, as well as the issues involved in going from 2D … The way the sphere is built provides very little visual distortion going from 2D to 3D, so you don't get the really weird issues of pinching, etc. when working with a cylindrical/Mercator type of map.
Ah, I wasn’t aware of any of this. In that case Maya is probably fine.
Ahzoh wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 pm I tried to work with GPlates but it's too complex to make good use of it.
Well, realistic plate tectonics is complex. And besides, for conworlding you only need a very small subset of its features.

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:28 pm
bradrn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:05 pm Worldbuilding Pasta has an extremely good guide on building realistic plate tectonics using GPlates. (And also a guide to climate, if that helps.)
I'll check out the Pasta guide since I'm not familiar with that one. I lurk on the Cartographer's Guild quite a bit, so I see various threads on the topic there. Eventually, I'll be using Wilbur or similar software to do the erosion, etc. that you see on Cartographer's Guild as well.
I looked at World Building Pasta a bit this morning, and I'm impressed so far. I've seen other guides with a similar level of detail, but this seems really well laid out & organized.

bradrn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:05 pm Ah, I wasn’t aware of any of this. In that case Maya is probably fine.
Of course not. :) RL professions don't tend to come up in conversation here much. I may have mentioned it before, but I wouldn't expect anyone to remember.

Ahzoh wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 pm I tried to work with GPlates but it's too complex to make good use of it.
The little I have looked at GPlates before told me it's not very intuitive. You're going to need to invest time in some tutorials provided by some world building sites if you're going to use it, and probably do so with a couple test projects before you feel comfortable enough to get good results for your main project. 3D software generally has an initial learning curve, though, so that's not unusual.
Emily

Post by Emily »

finished stage 2 (of 3) of the noun declensions for the daughter of gothic i'm working on. and cleaned up nouns.txt to boot!
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I love Germanic conlangs. I hope the result gets published some day.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
xxx

Post by xxx »

found the model of a drawingtext lost in the crash of my hd...
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

xxx wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:21 am found the model of a drawingtext lost in the crash of my hd...
Ooh, very nice! How did you make this?

keenir

Post by keenir »

Inspired by a recent discussion about writing systems, I started work on an abjad for Koreanic languages.
xxx

Post by xxx »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:45 amOoh, very nice! How did you make this?
by using filters with a Photoshop like app...
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Decided to rework Onschen, which is now called Ossmalic (Оссмалнулв [os.smal.ˈnulʋ]).

/m n̪ n̪ʲ/<м н нь>
/p b t̪ t̪ʲ d̪ d̪ʲ k kʲ g gʲ/<п б т ть д дь к кь г гь>
/ʋ s sʲ x xʲ/<в с сь х хь>
/l lʲ j/<л ль і>
/ᵑǀ ᵑǀʲ/<ң ңь>
/ᵏǀ ᶢǀ ᵏǀʲ ᶢǀʲ/<қ қь ӷ ӷь>

Phonetic realizations:
  • The phonemes /t̪ʲ d̪ʲ sʲ/ are realized as [t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ʃ], in some dialects /kʲ gʲ xʲ/ are also realized as [t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ʃ].
  • The phonemes /ᵑǀʲ/ ᵏǀʲ ᶢǀʲ/ are realized as [ᵑǂ ᵏǂ ᶢǂ].
  • The phoneme /ʋ/ is variously pronounced as [v], [ʋ], or [w].
Two genders: animate and inanimate. Most animate nouns are characterized by word-final stress while most inanimate nouns are characterized by penultimate or word-initial stress. Most nouns ending in consonants are inanimate.

Animate Noun - тьху "human, person"
Singular Plural
Ergative ??? ???
Absolutive тьху тьхоі
Dative ??? ???
Animate Noun - сьолла "river"
Singular Plural
Ergative сьоллан сьоллен
Absolutive сьолла сьолле
Dative ??? ???
Inanimate Noun - смал "mountain"
Singular Plural
Ergative смал смаль
Absolutive смал смаль
Locative ??? ???
Inanimate Noun - нулв "language"
Singular Plural
Ergative нулв нулу
Absolutive нулв нулу
Locative ??? ???
Emily

Post by Emily »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:18 pm I love Germanic conlangs. I hope the result gets published some day.
slapped together a progress report: http://anthologi.ca/?id=267459
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Ahzoh, are there animate/inanimate pairs distinguished by stress? That sounds like it could be a lot of fun, especially if it's not written.

Emily: love it. "Modernizations" are always tricky. You want to keep the original character, but also languages change, and sometimes they change in predictable ways that you want to avoid (like sk > sh). I think you've threaded the needle pretty well here.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Having created a tentative timeline for the fantasy world in which my current languages are set, I've done some very thorough redacting of a few Ineshîmé etymologies, and also just come off finishing a rough draft of a novelette set in the same world. I feel rather accomplished.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:56 pm Ahzoh, are there animate/inanimate pairs distinguished by stress? That sounds like it could be a lot of fun, especially if it's not written.
I have only сьола (pl. сьоле) "river" and сьол (pl. сьоль) "lake"
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I like money.
More: show
Last edited by doctor shark on Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Emily

Post by Emily »

put together a dictionary for the gothic project in excel, with columns to track changing forms and meanings across the different stages of the language. also figured out some more roots and some borrowings (including dealing with three different common roots—water, wind, and foot—that almost merged lol). next step is to rework the sound changes in the third and final phase, because i'm not really satisfied with what i have currently