Confusing headlines

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Confusing headlines

Post by Raphael »

From a book I'm currently reading (QI: The Third Book of General Ignorance):

Every serving of fruit or vegetables (at least up to five) helps to lower the risk of heart disease, strokes and mortality generally, and there is broad agreement among scientists that we should all eat more than we currently do.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 pmEvery serving of fruit or vegetables (at least up to five) helps to lower the risk of heart disease, strokes and mortality generally, and there is broad agreement among scientists that we should all eat more than we currently do.
*opens second bag of Cheetos*
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

A post by bradrn in the Conlang Fluency Thread:
bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:57 am Naak thaŋ nii bey gadiqŋu ŋa-qangat thaŋ?

what the FOC Q absorb-STAT [=have.as.member] that-tree DEF
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:06 am A post by bradrn in the Conlang Fluency Thread:
bradrn wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:57 am Naak thaŋ nii bey gadiqŋu ŋa-qangat thaŋ?

what the FOC Q absorb-STAT [=have.as.member] that-tree DEF
Obviously I was unsuccessful in my attempt to use an untranslated conlang in actual conversation. Oh well, back to the usual boring format. The relevant post has been edited.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The reason I posted that quote here was the sequence "what the FOC".
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:23 am The reason I posted that quote here was the sequence "what the FOC".
Ah yes, that was just an unfortunate coincidence. More accurate would have been ‘what DEF.SG FOC’, or even ‘what DEF.SG COP’ perhaps.

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:42 am
Raphael wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:23 am The reason I posted that quote here was the sequence "what the FOC".
Ah yes, that was just an unfortunate coincidence. More accurate would have been ‘what DEF.SG FOC’, or even ‘what DEF.SG COP’ perhaps.
That isn't as... evocative though; I like it better the original way myself.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

From a letter to the paper:
Please convey my compliments to whichever editor set Tuesday’s headline: ‘Winter blast hits city with snow on alps’ directly opposite ‘Despair over inaction on ice inquiry’.

Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

I'm not sure if I remember the wording correctly, but it was something along these lines:
Text TV wrote:Dirigent dog i operakollaps
Conductor died in opera collapse

Because of the compound word "operakollaps", I was lead to believe that the opera house collapsed, killing the conductor. But it was in fact he who collapsed and not the building.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Qwynegold wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:02 pm I'm not sure if I remember the wording correctly, but it was something along these lines:
Text TV wrote:Dirigent dog i operakollaps
Conductor died in opera collapse

Because of the compound word "operakollaps", I was lead to believe that the opera house collapsed, killing the conductor. But it was in fact he who collapsed and not the building.
I'd've read it the same way, and I don't speak Swedish...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

So in Swedish, you can create compound words that are only connected adverbially? Operakollaps can equally mean "the collapse of an opera" or "an unrelated collapse during an opera?"

simningsmärta: "an unrelated toothache that occurs while one happens to be swimming"
lågkonjunkturbankrutt: "coincidentally running out of money because one bought too many scented candles, but also there's a recession happening"

That is absolutely wild and should not be allowed.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

OK, that's a stretch, but English has the same construction in 'Star Wars' :)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 am OK, that's a stretch, but English has the same construction in 'Star Wars' :)
Uh, I think you'll find that one of the weapons used in the film is called the Death Star. It is literally a war of stars.

Checkmate, Atheists!
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:50 am
Ares Land wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 am OK, that's a stretch, but English has the same construction in 'Star Wars' :)
Uh, I think you'll find that one of the weapons used in the film is called the Death Star. It is literally a war of stars.

Checkmate, Atheists!
I have doubts on this one. But OK. How about Star Destroyer and stardate?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

some science site wrote:Scientists find 30 potential new species at bottom of deep sea using robots
Someone on Twitter commented, "This is worrying. We've only started using robots ourselves."
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

A star destroyer destroys stars and is two words, so...?

As for stardate, the first element explains what kind of date it is. An operacollapse does not tell you what kind of collapse it is.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:21 pm A star destroyer destroys stars and is two words, so...?
Arguable. Whether a noun compound has a space or not in English is more or less arbitrary; it’s probably best to consider the whole thing one word, grammatically speaking.
As for stardate, the first element explains what kind of date it is.
Does it? I cherish my ignorance of Star Trek, but to my knowledge a ‘stardate’ is not ‘a date of stars’. It is a date with some nebulous and vaguely defined relationship to stars.

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:39 pm to my knowledge a ‘stardate’ is not ‘a date of stars’. It is a date with some nebulous and vaguely defined relationship to stars.
Yeah, "star" there basically means "this is a science fiction show", with a side order of "shows may not be shown or viewed in order so we can't use calendar dates."
Moose wrote:An operacollapse does not tell you what kind of collapse it is.
Are you similarly confused by "road accident"?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Star destroyer may be two words, but I don't think it makes a difference. 'Opera collapse' in two words would be just as confusing!

I think syntactically there are a lot of similar construction:

Jerusalem syndrome
road accident
Star destroyer

The issue here is with semantics. Presumably conductors collapse in much the same way in an opera house than in any other buildings. Specific mental issues can occur in Jerusalem that don't occur much in, I don't know, Wichita.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:21 pm A star destroyer destroys stars and is two words, so...?
No they can't. Not in the Star Was universe, at any rate. If they could, there'd be nothing special about the Death Star's superlaser, which can only destroy whole planets. As Zomp says, the function of "star" here is basically to indicate a scifi setting with interstellar travel. You could just as easily call it a "space destroyer" and that wouldn't change its implied function one iota.