Syntax Construction Kit arrived!

Conworlds and conlangs
Mornche Geddick

Syntax Construction Kit arrived!

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Cool! Now, can we buy it *without* going through Amazon?
mèþru

Re: Syntax Construction Kit arrived!

Post by mèþru »

bump because I dislike Bezos so much
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

The text on the webpage is a little broken on the punctuation front.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Frislander wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:30 amThe text on the webpage is a little broken on the punctuation front.
If you are talking about his use of space near m-dashes, that's how Zompist likes to use them actually. You can find such usage of space as far back as the old version of the online LCK.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

If I make a hardcover version, that will be non-Amazon. But that depends on sales.

I tried using Barnes & Noble, but a) they don't support Unicode, and b) sales were dismal.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Also, here's the description page:

http://www.zompist.com/syntax.html
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Ser wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:34 pm
Frislander wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:30 amThe text on the webpage is a little broken on the punctuation front.
If you are talking about his use of space near m-dashes, that's how Zompist likes to use them actually. You can find such usage of space as far back as the old version of the online LCK.
That's how everyone uses em-dashes, unless they're a British literary publisher writing in 1920, or unless they wish they were.

I suspect Frislander means the way that every apostrophe has been replaced with ’...
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I don't know what dinosaur browsers you people are using... but I'm guessing you need a meta tag to read Unicode, which should be there now.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I'm using the latest Firefox, and it was happening for me... Fortunately it's working correctly now.
Ketsuban

Post by Ketsuban »

zompist wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:50 pm Also, here's the description page:

http://www.zompist.com/syntax.html
The last couple of URLs all point to your syntax toys post rather than the book review posts.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Looking forward to getting the ebook version. One of my "primordial languages" will be largely analytic, and I think understanding syntax trees, etc. will be a big help.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Salmoneus wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:41 am
That's how everyone uses em-dashes, unless they're a British literary publisher writing in 1920, or unless they wish they were.

I suspect Frislander means the way that every apostrophe has been replaced with ’...
You're thinking of en-dashes. En-dashes typically use a space, em-dashes typically do not.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Zaarin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:25 pm

You're thinking of en-dashes. En-dashes typically use a space, em-dashes typically do not.
...no, I'm thinking of em-dashes. Em-dashes typically use a space, just like en-dashes. This is the general convention in the UK, outside of the OUP (hence the 'British literary publisher in 1920' remark), and in US journalism (eg the AP and NYT style guides). Although I'd admittedly forgotten that apparently the CMS weirdly prefers them without the spaces.

Anyway, maybe I was wrong to say "everyone". But the point remains that this is a general usage approved by style guides around the world, and not at all in need of addressing.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

No spaces are pretty common, especially when going for an old timey feel.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

I've never seen em-dashes with spaces, but I also don't read a lot of periodicals, whether American or UK. In fiction publications, I've always seen either em-dashes sans spaces or en-dashes with them. (I'm not contending that your points are invalid, but I've never seen it in my personal experience. And I'm definitely one of those authors who abuses the poor em-dash out of all countenance. :P )
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I'm used to no spaces because of all the Asimov I read
kårroť
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Ketsuban wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:13 amThe last couple of URLs all point to your syntax toys post rather than the book review posts.
Oops! Thanks, should be fixed.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

It's true that I don't read any fiction, but I don't think I have ever encountered Zompist's use of space around m-dashes in all the reading I do of works in linguistics and software programming.
Salmoneus wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:58 pm...no, I'm thinking of em-dashes. Em-dashes typically use a space, just like en-dashes. This is the general convention in the UK, outside of the OUP (hence the 'British literary publisher in 1920' remark), and in US journalism (eg the AP and NYT style guides). Although I'd admittedly forgotten that apparently the CMS weirdly prefers them without the spaces.
This is wrong. The AP and NYT style guides recommend using spaces both before and after the m-dash. Zompist uses spaces only after the m-dash, using no space before. Like this: abc— def— ghi. This is why I call it weird / very idiosyncratic.