Popping in after a LONG absence

Topics that can go away
Herra Ratatoskr

Popping in after a LONG absence

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Hello, hopefully a few of the oldbies around here remember me, but I used to be a regular poster here quite a few years ago (to give an idea of time, I think this is the first time I've posted here on verduria.org). Life got REALLY complicated some years back and I kind of dropped out of conlanging for a while, while I was dealing with various personal crises. I'm feeling a bit of an itch to get back into it, so I thought I'd say hi, see if anyone still remembers me, and maybe post some sketches that seem to peter out (as was my habit, sadly).

Feels good (but more than a little weird) to be back, even just to say hello.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Popping in after a LONG absence

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Well, hello! Nice to meet you!
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Hello and welcome back. I am new like Ryuuji but i have quite a few posts on this forum. Anyways hopefully you make some more posts.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Welcome back to you as well!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:26 am Hello, hopefully a few of the oldbies around here remember me, but I used to be a regular poster here quite a few years ago (to give an idea of time, I think this is the first time I've posted here on verduria.org). Life got REALLY complicated some years back and I kind of dropped out of conlanging for a while, while I was dealing with various personal crises. I'm feeling a bit of an itch to get back into it, so I thought I'd say hi, see if anyone still remembers me, and maybe post some sketches that seem to peter out (as was my habit, sadly).

Feels good (but more than a little weird) to be back, even just to say hello.
Welcome back! I’m not entirely new here, but I believe you left around the same time I arrived. I look forward to seeing more of your posts!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Welcome back! I recognize your name, but I don't recall actually speaking with you, so it's good to see you posting here again.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Herra Ratatoskr

Thanks for the welcomes! I honestly didn't post all that much even when I was "active", so that's not surprising, Travis. If I was known for anything, it was probably my "West Saxon" language, which is a sister language of English that arose in in an alt-history timeline where the Norman Conquest was incomplete and Wessex retained independence for a long time (until the 1600s), and was able to develop its own language relatively free of Norman (and Norse) influence, letting it keep a more notable germanic "feel", while having some hopefully memorable quirks -- grammatical gender alongside grammatical animacy, inclusive and exclusive 1st person plural pronouns, and word initial /ŋ/, to name a few.

I've also got a few other languages I dabble with (a future version of English that is very sketchy atm, a Romlang that is actually descended from Old Latin, spoken on the Azores with an alt-history PoD shortly after the 2nd Punic War, and a weird engineered language that uses triconsonantal roots and consonant gradation). Plus other fleeting thoughts, of course.
ekesleight

Post by ekesleight »

Greetings, fellow returnee! :)
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 pm If I was known for anything, it was probably my "West Saxon" language, which is a sister language of English that arose in in an alt-history timeline where the Norman Conquest was incomplete and Wessex retained independence for a long time (until the 1600s),
I think I remember that, I quite liked it.
Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 pm a Romlang that is actually descended from Old Latin, spoken on the Azores with an alt-history PoD shortly after the 2nd Punic War
Tell me more :-)
Herra Ratatoskr

hwhatting wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:29 am
Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 pm If I was known for anything, it was probably my "West Saxon" language, which is a sister language of English that arose in in an alt-history timeline where the Norman Conquest was incomplete and Wessex retained independence for a long time (until the 1600s),
I think I remember that, I quite liked it.
Cool. I might have to repost some of the most up-to-date stuff on it. I found the old thread on the Incatena version of the site and it is... out of date. And like a decade old. :shock:
Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:41 pm a Romlang that is actually descended from Old Latin, spoken on the Azores with an alt-history PoD shortly after the 2nd Punic War
Don't have too much to tell at the moment. Currently, the idea is a small group of Romans (and freshly enslaved Carthaginians) following a charismatic leader who dreams of an Island of the Blessed beyond the Pillars of Hercules sail out, land on the Azores, and survive and grow in isolation until the Portuguese arrive in the 14th century. There will be a noticeable Semitic influence due to a number of Punic speakers being part of the founding population, and I'm trying to work out ways to have something between an ablaut system and a full triconsonantal root system develop. These are still just aspirations at the moment.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:51 pm
Don't have too much to tell at the moment. Currently, the idea is a small group of Romans (and freshly enslaved Carthaginians) following a charismatic leader who dreams of an Island of the Blessed beyond the Pillars of Hercules sail out, land on the Azores, and survive and grow in isolation until the Portuguese arrive in the 14th century. There will be a noticeable Semitic influence due to a number of Punic speakers being part of the founding population, and I'm trying to work out ways to have something between an ablaut system and a full triconsonantal root system develop. These are still just aspirations at the moment.
Yet, sounds like an interesting idea. Welcome back, Herra Ratatoskr!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

I misread that as pooping three times. That's all I have to say.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Herra Ratatoskr

Jonlang wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:42 pm I misread that as pooping three times. That's all I have to say.
:lol:
Torco

Post by Torco »

be thou welcome, good sir, though I remember thee from the days of yore, pickles and tea nontheless
Herra Ratatoskr

I thank ye! *sips tea and politely ignores the pickle*