Elections in various countries

Topics that can go away
mèþru

Re: Elections in various countries

Post by mèþru »

I'm just saying that there isn't any good reason to suppose that Bonapartists won't be outside the far-right.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

mèþru wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 am I'm just saying that there isn't any good reason to suppose that Bonapartists won't be outside the far-right.
Oh, yes, certainly, they certainly could have turned to be fascist. They just happen to be fairly reasonable.
One possible reason is that the 5th Republic is a Bonapartist dream already: a republic headed by a popularly elected strongman, with no excess of that disgusting 'parliamentary' stuff: what's not to like? (And it was even better when the strongman was a general and war hero who used referenda to legitimize his power!)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

All this talk of the various types of French monarchists reminds me that, in the first years after 1871, France had the paradox political setup of being a republic in which monarchists had a majority in the legislature, with monarchy being avoided because the monarchists couldn't agree on which monarch they wanted.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Oh, yes. Our finest hour.
And it got even worse: it was agreed that the Legitimist pretender, Henri d'Artois, comte de Chambord would succeed to the throne and name the Orleanist pretender as his heir.
Except that the comte de Chambord insisted on the traditional white flag, which was opposed by the legislature (they wanted the blue, white and red one.) The seven-year term of the French presidents prior to 2002 was calqued on his presumed life expectancy at the time (he lived a bit longer than expected.)

(Oh, and Philippe d'Orléans, the Orleanist heir, fought in the American Civil War!)
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I think if the Franco-Prussian war didn't happen, Napoleon IV would have given parliament more power - he was influenced by the liberal faction (although still a devout Catholic)
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

With the split of the Zionist Union, I switch my support from Meretz to Hatnuah. Or maybe Gesher, depending on its policies. Or another new party
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Does Gesher have any policies besides more women in everything? What's their stance on the Israel-Palestinian conflict, economic issues, disparities between different ethnic groups, the rabbinate, gay marriage, or literally anything else that isn't just about women.
kårroť
tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Last edited by tiramisu on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Gantz has the most similar policies to me, but I have issues with him specifically about stuff he did outside of politics. I don't like Livni that much, but I like her the most out of all the party leaders in the Knesset.
kårroť
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

I just hope Jokowi remains the president of Indonesia.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I wish politics in India wasn't strongly associated with death.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Vijay wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 pm I wish politics in India wasn't strongly associated with death.
Really? Can you explain it?

Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Akangka wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 am
Vijay wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 pm I wish politics in India wasn't strongly associated with death.
The very word "politics" in India has an almost exclusively negative connotation. Political parties in India are all very corrupt, and it seems as if anyone who goes into politics risks being assassinated, which is why the vast majority of people do not. You constantly hear stories about people from one political party murdering people from another. It has been like this for decades at least. Every political party from what I can tell has been trying to get political support from low-caste people especially in recent years despite almost never having any qualms about exploiting their labor, destroying their businesses and livelihoods, manipulating them into killing each other, raping low-caste women, and outright murdering low-caste people.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Vijay wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:20 am
Akangka wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 am
The very word "politics" in India has an almost exclusively negative connotation. Political parties in India are all very corrupt, and it seems as if anyone who goes into politics risks being assassinated, which is why the vast majority of people do not. You constantly hear stories about people from one political party murdering people from another. It has been like this for decades at least. Every political party from what I can tell has been trying to get political support from low-caste people especially in recent years despite almost never having any qualms about exploiting their labor, destroying their businesses and livelihoods, manipulating them into killing each other, raping low-caste women, and outright murdering low-caste people.
Which is weird, because Indonesia is more corrupt, but the politics rarely goes into killing. Sure politics have a negative connotation here too. And people invokes religion just for politics. But the situation in India is waaaay overboard. (It's possible that I'm not that active in reading news, though)

tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Last edited by tiramisu on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Last edited by tiramisu on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Despite all my disagreements with them, I would welcome Hadash and maybe the United Arab List as members of a coalition government. Nope to the other Arab parties.
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Akangka wrote:I just hope Jokowi remains the president of Indonesia.
I think he's the lesser of the two evils, but evil none the less for his support of the further destruction of Indonesia's environment and disregard for the weakest ethnic groups.
kårroť
tiramisu

Post by tiramisu »

Last edited by tiramisu on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I'm aware, but its not like there's that many good coalition partners, and I think an Arab party in the Cabinet is a good thing.
kårroť